Samsung Direct: Galaxy S9/S9+ Official Pre-Order Thread

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I recived my S9+ from samsung today and swapped my verizon sim in it without issue. The phone works perfectly with all features except wifi calling (sorry dont use VVM as I use Google Voice for voicemail). The phone supports VoLTE and has a setting to turn that on and off. The phone also supports mobile hotspot.

I'm slightly aggravated as both samsung and verizon said wifi calling would work before I pre ordered. Samsung tech support is still saying it works with two separate techs and the verizon tech I spoke to said he had not even seen an s9 yet and although polite, he was worthless.

I have been with Verizon since 2004 and they have done nothing for me. The are charging an additional $100 on top of the s9+ just for giggles. It is ridiculous! Then they charge you another $30 for upgrade fee and you can't get any trade in value if you buy the phone outright ($960 before taxes). I hate the payment plan as since I am an IT guy it's a write off. For the first time in a long time I am wondering if I should stay with Verizon.

Of all the BS features that samsung and verizon have the wifi calling is one I actually use often. If anyone has a hack for this let me know.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not the authority on this since I never use it but I did go through the VZ tutorial to check and it appears you need HD Voice which is not on my unlocked version and no options in any menu that I see to turn wifi calling on per the tutorial. Obviously if its critical just buy the VZ version...
Thanks for checking it out! Now I do know the answer and I'll have to get Verizon phone since I do on occasion use WiFi calling.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine just delivered... Trying on with my Samsung OEM cases which I got last week

2d63ebd5bc09f56b5c333d9c86a5b03e.jpg

f130a2acce0ce6b4d5be35aef21cb7d3.jpg

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Wont work this way for sprint. Sprint rep told me today that the sims at locked to the phone they were activated on.
Okay. Gotta a great answer for Sprint sim cards. Go into the store and ask for a generic BYOD sim card. If they have it, they can use it to activate your phone. It will cost you $10. I think it's worth it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I like the silicone case looks sharp. I may have to get one now. I returned the hyperknit case as I didn't like it. But the silicone looks sharp.
Yeah I love the apple silicon cases and so got this. Hyperknit looked cool on the website but not sure why I got that since I didn't like the pixel 2 fabric cases as well. I'll be returning the hyperknit case and just keep the silicon case. Feels and protects better than the hyperknit case.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I love the apple silicon cases and so got this. Hyperknit looked cool on the website but not sure why I got that since I didn't like the pixel 2 fabric cases as well. I'll be returning the hyperknit case and just keep the silicon case. Feels and protects better than the hyperknit case.
Good to hear. I just ordered the silicone for pickup at best buy tomorrow. Now hopefully ups delivers my phone tomorrow also. Lol

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I had to pick mine (S9+) up at FedEx this evening. Gotta say that using smart switch was way easier than any other process I've used before.

Initial impressions: It's super fast and snappy compared to my S8. Not sure the fingerprint scanner location is much better than before as it's still really close to the camera. but they won't really affect me much since I use my gear s3's as trusted devices. I didn't get as much time to try a lot out, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to get a feel for it tomorrow.

greyserf

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Placed my order a few days ago and the status is just that it will be shipped sometime next week.

For some reason I thought that the S9+ came with Dual SIM? Was told that none of their US phones have Dual SIM? Is that correct?

Wondering if anyone who has the Unlocked US version can verify whether or not there is an option to turn the Camera Shutter Sound off? Also does it work on screenshots as well?

brianjsw

May 28, 2012
Visit site
For anybody who received their order from Samsung and wants to return it...

Do you have a return button available yet on your order page? I received my phone Wednesday morning but still no option to return it.

Thanks for any feedback.

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You should get an email with return packing label attached. I did and just dropped my S7E off at Fed-EX.. Easy peasy..

brianjsw

May 28, 2012
Visit site
You should get an email with return packing label attached. I did and just dropped my S7E off at Fed-EX.. Easy peasy..
Yah *should* is the key word l guess. Called them and they said there is a malfunction and they cannot offer me a return label. I should hear back from escalations in 7 business days in the meantime holding onto my escalation reference number for dear life!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Another question. How do we get Samsung to give us the $400 Ultimate Play bundle for $99 that became effective today. Just threaten to return and buy again?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com%2Fus%2Fshop%2Fall-deals%2F&token=ajBM4kLw

Looking at it closer they dropped trade-in values so that may not make it as attractive..

Thoughts?
Honestly I don't like any of those bundles, if they were free that's a different story. I already have wireless chargers, earbuds and other accessories etc. So personally even if they had offered this bundles at pre-order I would have skipped anyway since you are paying additional $49 to $99 depending on the bundle. If you didn't have those accessories and were looking to buy the ones in the bundles then yeah makes sense. But at least for me I'm fine.

Fletchand

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Finally back from biz trip and drove to local fedex to pick it up. Too tired to set it up though. Will bring to the office tomorrow....

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the S9 with $99 accessory bundle yesterday. Returning my S9+ since was not getting comfortable with the size even though I'm used to large devices. I think using the iPhone X for the last few months made me appreciate how much fun it is handling a little smaller device. So going to S9 instead of the S9+ and with that goes my battery life

This time with the coral blue S9, had got the midnight black S9+ earlier. When I ordered yesterday (unlocked), said it'll ship in 1-3 days. So expecting it'll ship Tuesday and I should have it on Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23