Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

Garen M

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Traded Nexus 4, Samsung received it on 07/03 and today 07/12 I received an accepted traded in email 👍 thanks Samsung. BTW I got a S8

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So I traded in my Nextbit Robin phone for this trade in and just got a reply back from Samsung today saying that the phone was bricked or Blacklisted.

First off it's a fully unlocked phone with no carrier attachments so it could not be blacklisted! And in fear of some **** like this happening I recorded a video of myself turning on the phone and showing that there was no damage and it brought you to the set up new account screen and powering it off before boxing it up and shipping it out all with in the FedEx store.

I am currently working with my bank on claiming that this is a fraudulent charge and I am disputing it.

the company Samsung has doing it is probably doing it on purpose. I wonder if the employee checking the phones gets incentives for finding bad phones?

Someone on XDA is actually blocked from calling samsung customer serivice. Samsung blocked their number. This was back in April when the S8 was launching.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah good luck with that. Samsung covered their butts all but good in the fine print.

Fine print was not clear and made slightly false statements. I'm seeing a class action lawsuit if there's a very experienced laywer who can do it. Samsung has been sued before many times by Apple over small things and ended up paying. But more over this is a punch in the stomach to those that were loyal Samsung owners.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
the company Samsung has doing it is probably doing it on purpose. I wonder if the employee checking the phones gets incentives for finding bad phones?

Someone on XDA is actually blocked from calling samsung customer serivice. Samsung blocked their number. This was back in April when the S8 was launching.

I'm surprised he even got in touch with anyone at Samsung. Their customer service is horrible. Each time you email them, it's relayed to a different person so you have to explain your situation over and over again.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I traded in my Nextbit Robin phone for this trade in and just got a reply back from Samsung today saying that the phone was bricked or Blacklisted.

First off it's a fully unlocked phone with no carrier attachments so it could not be blacklisted! And in fear of some **** like this happening I recorded a video of myself turning on the phone and showing that there was no damage and it brought you to the set up new account screen and powering it off before boxing it up and shipping it out all with in the FedEx store.

I am currently working with my bank on claiming that this is a fraudulent charge and I am disputing it.

If you have AMEX, you're good. They are very good with these types of things.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You appear to actively be trying not to be sure.

It took Sears a long, long time to get to this point. It took an previously unimagined and practically unimaginable upheaval--the iPhone--to take Blackberry down, and even that took a few years. When you say, "People said the same thing about Blackberry," are you saying there's a similar upheaval coming?

The smartphone world has settled down, and the choices are Android or Apple. Apple does nothing but flagships; Android is everywhere from $10 Chinese crap to $900 Samsungs. Like I said, people will continue to get Samsung because it's safe. They don't care about this debacle. They don't even know about it.

Now, if you can come up with an upheaval the equivalent of the iPhone to change the industry (such that Samsung Galaxy becomes the next Blackberry), I'd be curious to know what that is.

With things as they are right now, nothing will hurt Samsung. Not this, not the Note 7, not the washers. You can dream about it like it's a lottery ticket, but if you think it'll happen, you're wrong.

And if you think this debacle has any impact on Samsung's bottom line, you're wrong.

Still, it'll hinder their chances of beating Apple, which was their goal from the very beginning. Once you get on bad terms with a customer, you'll lose them for life. Not alone word of mouth. They'll still hold their top ranking space because they are a smartphone and electronics giant. But I could see why people are staying with Apple because of their excellent customer service alone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung doesn't care. They are a smartphone giant, no one could easily take them down. But they are going to lose the trust of people AGAIN even after the Note 7. If I went through the Note 7 debacle, and also ripped off from this trade in deal, you can be sure I'll never go back to Samsung forever, even if they come out with a really good phone. Heck, I'll even use an Apple.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Any updates from Samsung on the escalation? I traded in the Nexus 6 I was using and got an email yesterday that the trade in isnt accepted due to not meeting Samsung's criteria of "Normal wear and tear". The phone was in good condition and I did ensure to bubble wrap it so that it wouldnt get damaged in transit. I too had contacted customer support and they said that it has been escalated.

Dispute any additional charges with your bank, present your case. That is ridiculous! Hmm hmm hmm

3lectr0nic

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Any updates from Samsung on the escalation? I traded in the Nexus 6 I was using and got an email yesterday that the trade in isnt accepted due to not meeting Samsung's criteria of "Normal wear and tear". The phone was in good condition and I did ensure to bubble wrap it so that it wouldnt get damaged in transit. I too had contacted customer support and they said that it has been escalated.

Mine is the same situation as yours, even bubble wrapped! Samsung said they will escalate and review it within 3-5 days. My concern is, if they don't take back the charge I am unable to return the phone due to it being outside of their return window of two weeks.

I did find out that they can request an extended return window if I ask. Good to keep that in mind if Samsung doesn't honor the trade in value!

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine is the same situation as yours, even bubble wrapped! Samsung said they will escalate and review it within 3-5 days. My concern is, if they don't take back the charge I am unable to return the phone due to it being outside of their return window of two weeks.

I did find out that they can request an extended return window if I ask. Good to keep that in mind if Samsung doesn't honor the trade in value!
I was in that same situation. My return window was set to expire on 7/6. I requested an RMA through the "My Orders" page on the Samsung website on 7/5. The website said I had until 7/15 to return the device. I received my trade in acceptance email yesterday morning. Ironically, Samsung didn't send me a return confirmation/shipping label until this morning. The email also stated that I have until 8/11 to return the device. But I'll probably just keep it now.

dave92029

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Unlocked S8 for $425!

Received this email this morning: - Thank you Samsung

Your Samsung Trade-in was successful
We’re happy to inform you that your Trade-In was successful and your device met all of our product eligibility criteria. We hope you’re enjoying your new Galaxy S8 64GB (Unlocked). Thank you for participating in the Samsung Trade-In Program. No further action is needed at this point.

PS my trade in was a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime that I bought at Walmart a year ago for $99.

specialbuddy

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes and no. AC covered it but Samsung isn't going to respond to them no matter what because this is one of those instances where it's best for Samsung to just ignore it. Samsung has already moved on to ramping up for Note 8 release.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I received my "Your trade in was successful" email this morning. My trade in was received by Samsung on June 28th so it took 17 days to process. I sent in a brand new Att gophone an Alcatel I believe purchased for $20 at Walmart.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Figured I would share my success story. Traded in an old Moto X with zero issues. Charged it, wiped it, wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in the shipping box from the GS8. Trade-in accepted. Easy peasy.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I received my "Your trade in was successful" email this morning. My trade in was received by Samsung on June 28th so it took 17 days to process. I sent in a brand new Att gophone an Alcatel I believe purchased for $20 at Walmart.
Interestingly enough, I've seen reports on Reddit that that exact same phone was rejected. Guess it's the luck of the draw determined by the person who evaluates your phone.

arrluu

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
I sent my excellent lg smart phone ( Paid $250 a few months ago ) and *F samsung decide FINAL TRADED IN VALUE: $25.00.
I am going to send back for a full refund. Never trust samsung and Never buy samsung again!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332