Samsung S-View Flip Cover is horrible.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I still can't get my cover to stay closed. It just flaps back open when I close it. I have tried running my finger down the stitches and it does help. I have a black one also so maybe I will try that one. I have just been using the white one. Other than that I love it

Posted via Android Central App

Just press the sides down a few times quite hard and it closes.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Shopandroid.com sent me defective case that wouldn't close and wouldn't pay for return shipping. .... Thanks Fred@shopandroid.com for sending me a label for free return and then shorting my credit. .. Pretty sleazy. ..before you buy BEWARE.. CUSTOMER SERVICE AWFUL

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree they do have awful customer service. My last time buying from them.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i did not like the s view cover since it is limited to what it can do. take pics. take a note. listen and control stock music player. read texts. answer/deny calls. tell time. that is all. I wish here were a way to customize this to do other things, or at least change the apps that can be used. this was a reason i did not get the cover, but since it was a chrismas gift, i will gladly use it, and have grown to actually enjoy it. but i am waiing for an update to customize the s window app.

longnlo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Might be a little late here... But I have a non-OEM S-View cover for my Verizon Note 3. I got this off a well known auction site. So i thought I might share my thoughts on it.

Although it's not a official Samsung accessory it does have the chip in the back of the cover. After doing some research I found that the chip has a couple IC's in it. (I originally thought it was simply shorting the 2 pins) Now that I have the case and have dissected it I found not only is there the chip. There is also a magnet in the front cover that triggers a sensor near the lower left corner of the screen. Now that we know how it functions, how does it work? In everyday use that is.

Let's talk feel: It's not real leather although the stitching is real thread unlike the standard factory cover. There is embossing on three sides. The front, Galaxy Note 3. The left side, + -, over the volume keys. And the rear, SAMSUNG. The cover sometimes stays open a little, but normally will lay flat against the screen. There is a plastic window that covers/protects the screen. The downside here is its easy to scratch. The back cover is thicker then the factory back. With this cover the camera is flush instead of protruding. All in all it adds about another 1.5mm to the phone thickness. It may sound like a lot, but after a day or so you i didnt really notice the extra thickness. My previous device was a Note 2 with a OEM flip cover. So it feels about the same. Overall it has a good feel and I've been happy with the quality.

Let's talk function: As you know, when enabled, you can activate S-Voice while the screen is off by simply saying "Hi Galaxy". This function does not work if the cover is closed. Very disappointing Samsung. Also overlooked in this case design was the ability to see the notification LED. Maybe a small hole punch could fix this. And last but not least, the speakerphone and microphone mute buttons displayed in the S-View window do not work. At least not on my phone.

Overall I give this case a 8 out of 10. It could be better, but it's really not bad. Even with its few shortcomings I enjoy using it. Do I think it would be worth $60 for a OEM one. Hell no! But since I paid $7.19 shipped! Totally worth it! I will say this was a sale price from the normal $8.99 shipped. Which is still cheap and again totally worth the money.

I hope this info/review helps anyone thinking buying a OEM one or even a non-OEM one.

longnlo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention... The S-View window does allow you to take photos with the cover folded back. But due to the top edge of the window being close to the camera, that part of the picture blurs. :eek: :( :'(

Attachments

• image_01.jpg
    image_01.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image_02.jpg
    image_02.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 56

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I went with the cheaper ebay S-view cover and couldn't be any happier with my purchase. This cover works well for $3.25 and looks great.......

p127686378-3.jpg

p66065245-3.jpg

p89150409-3.jpg

p6709969-3.jpg

p419255453-3.jpg

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

KiltedMP

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I still can't get my cover to stay closed. It just flaps back open when I close it. I have tried running my finger down the stitches and it does help. I have a black one also so maybe I will try that one. I have just been using the white one. Other than that I love it

Spigen made a magnetic add on to keep the stock S-view cover closed. I looked at it for mine, but went with Spigen's Slim Armor view instead. For $9.95, it seems a bit much.
Amazon.com: Spigen Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Flip Cover [Magnetic Clip] Magnetic Holder for Samsung S View Cover / Flip Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note III **Cover is not included** - Magnetic Clip (SGP10688): Cell Phones & Accessories

tahnir

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Spigen made a magnetic add on to keep the stock S-view cover closed. I looked at it for mine, but went with Spigen's Slim Armor view instead. For $9.95, it seems a bit much.
Amazon.com: Spigen Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Flip Cover [Magnetic Clip] Magnetic Holder for Samsung S View Cover / Flip Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note III **Cover is not included** - Magnetic Clip (SGP10688): Cell Phones & Accessories

Can you please share some pictures of that one? I was looking at it as well but am still a bit uncertain

Graham Rose

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm new here! But I have been reading through all the posts, I recently bought my S-view cover (I believe its genuine, although I did buy it abroad!) And when it works its amazing and I love it, but thats the problem, after leaving it on for a while it stops working, and literally just becomes a plastic window to my phone screen.... I do have the pins on the back of the case, but it is still a mission to get it to work to begin with (I have to take it off and put it on a few times)...

Any idea what could be wrong, it took forever for it to be sent to me, so I dont really want to return it...

Thanks
Graham

mjherrick66

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say it is horrible but it does glitch out on occasion. Does anyone's cover ever go to the S View lock screen when you have the flip cover open and resting on the backside? I then have to close and open the case again. It must be a magnet within the cover that activates the S View lock screen. The work around is to go into setting and uncheck the automatic unlock checkbox under Accessory settings. But I don't like that either because then you have to go through too many motions just to get the app you want to get to. For example, the flashlight should be more easily accessible.

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I cannot say it is horrible but it does glitch out on occasion. Does anyone's cover ever go to the S View lock screen when you have the flip cover open and resting on the backside? I then have to close and open the case again. It must be a magnet within the cover that activates the S View lock screen. The work around is to go into setting and uncheck the automatic unlock checkbox under Accessory settings. But I don't like that either because then you have to go through too many motions just to get the app you want to get to. For example, the flashlight should be more easily accessible.

Is this an OEM case as I've never experienced this problem with my genuine Samsung S View case, or with my Spigen S View case?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree totally, I purchased the S-View cover in the UK for ?45.00 and wish I'd never wasted my money.

I also think the is not very modern looking and makes the phone look rather dated.

Have gone back to using my stunning looking Note 3 naked.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I love my sview case. I bought it when I got my note 3. I payed also $70 at the Verizon store here in south Florida

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk