Samsung S10 will only charge on car charger

MnDrifter

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
My mother has an S10 that will ONLY charge in her car. I went over and tried several cords and different charging packs and she is correct... EVEN if I use the same cord she uses in the car it doesn't work.

once in a while the charging indicator will pop up but the percentage of charge doesn't go up... but usually the indicator doesn't pop up at all...

Booting it up in safe mode didn't make a difference..

However, if I shut it off, plug it in while it is off, the indicator will pop up. (but not the charged percentage so I don't know if it is actually charging) .. THEN if I start the phone WHILE it is plugged in it seems to charge normally. (we are charging it right now using this method, it may or may not continue to work)

If anyone has any other options please let me know...
I tried:
new cords,
new charging packs,
safe mode,
charging it while it is off,
updated it,

Next is a factory reset ---but she is scared to do that cause her phone has so much stuff on it. Easy to back up the pictures and such but she has stuff for her job that punches her in and out etc. that was a pain to set up,,, (her words)

Thanks for any responses

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Go into the app manager, select the menu option to view system apps, and look for one related to USB. I don't remember the exact name because I don't own a Samsung, but shouldn't be hard to find. When you find it, try clearing the app data, then restart the phone. It's a long shot, but that's a common fix when people start getting false moisture detected warnings for the USB port that prevents charging. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This sounds terribly obvious, but you didn't mention trying it...

It could be the wall socket itself. I've seen this before. If you haven't already tried it, plug into a different location, with a charger/cable that you're confident about. Worth a try.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

It could be the wall socket itself. I've seen this before. If you haven't already tried it, plug into a different location, with a charger/cable that you're confident about. Worth a try.

Yes, sometimes wall sockets are not powered on unless a switch is turned on. I have several of those in my house like that.

MnDrifter

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site

I personally have a s20 ultra and it charged fine in the same socket with the same cords etc. that weren't working with moms phone,, but thanks for the response..

I tried charging it at a computer and it didn't work there either. After I got home again I realized I didn't even check to see if the computer was seeing the phone or not...

It is weird how I can try 6 or 7 different chargers and several different cords (some new)and nothing... bring it out to her car and bam it charges... Oh and restarting it while it is plugged in inside is hit and miss.. she said she had to restart it a few times before it started charging right last night..

I told her I will bring my laptop over on thanksgiving and attempt to back up her pictures etc. and then do a factory reset on it...

MnDrifter

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Go into the app manager, select the menu option to view system apps, and look for one related to USB. I don't remember the exact name because I don't own a Samsung, but shouldn't be hard to find. When you find it, try clearing the app data, then restart the phone. It's a long shot, but that's a common fix when people start getting false moisture detected warnings for the USB port that prevents charging. Wouldn't hurt to try.

I will do this before I do a factory reset... after reading your post I thought, "really I haven't looked at any of her settings or apps" so who knows what she may have on there...

I appreciate everyone's responses... I wish they sent me a notification via email telling me I have new responses.. I just happened to check this and seen several .. thank you everyone

MnDrifter

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Update:
Computer does not recognize the phone.. Keeps telling me the "connected device malfunctioned and can not be recognized".. SO we are going to attempt get her pictures off of it with an SD card... then do a factory reset

Also, I brought my wireless charger over there. It starts right away but then says "wireless charging paused"

I will update the thread when I know if the reset worked or not.. Thanks again everyone

MnDrifter

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Ran a factory reset and everything works fine now .. she says "it works better now than when it was new"... So I guess the fix is do a factory reset... She also said she has ALL her apps back on it and it still works great...

Thanks again everyone

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Ran a factory reset and everything works fine now .. she says "it works better now than when it was new"... So I guess the fix is do a factory reset... She also said she has ALL her apps back on it and it still works great...

Thanks again everyone

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted. :)