Samsung S3 Mini Battery/Charging Issue

JamesD1337

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

So recently ive encountered a problem with my phone's battery.

The problem was first noticed when I left my phone to charge over night and in the morning there was actually LESS battery percentage than when I left it to go to sleep. I at first assumed this was a problem with the charger since ive had problems with bad wires and stuff in the past so I went and got a new charger - the problem persisted. With the new charger the battery percentage still wasnt going up despite the fact the charging icon was shown on-screen, as before.

Eventually my phone just ran out of battery completely so I went down to the shop to get a new battery since I guessed if it wasnt the charger it must be the battery. So I got a new battery (note this is not a Samsung manufactured battery just one that fits the model) and the phone comes back on and stuff. When I get it home I plug it into both the old charger (that I thought broken) and the new one to see if the battery level went up. I was extremely upset when the battery again did not charge with either charger despite the fact that I bought a new battery.

The last thing I could think of that could cause this problem was that I had a virus or something that was making the battery drain (im not sure if viruses can do this or not), so I reset my phone to factory settings and would you believe it still refuses to charge.

My phone DOES charge when it is connected to my PC, however it charges EXTREMELY slowly and it will only charge when its connected as a multimedia device.

After looking online there have been some suggestions that I can already confirm dont work:
-Running anti-viral software (AVG Mobile)
-Disabling "debug mode" in the developer options

Additional information:
-When I restarted my phone the battery level was shown to be at 50% up from around 25% when I pressed restart.
-After turning my phone off for around 10 minutes and leaving it plugged into my computer the battery level dropped back to around 25% charge.
-Last night I attempted to turn my phone on after the original battery had ran out completely and it came on with "0% battery", when I put it into the charger from here it breifly jumped up to 1% then 2% before it just died completely again and it gave up.
-I leave my phone on the charger most nights to top up the battery since I use it a lot during the day (roughly 50%-80% battery use in a day).

Im getting very distressed over this issue and would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me at least what was wrong with my phone.

colin ignat

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey JamesD1337

Few moths ago my s3 mini went crazy too (still acting like a fool).

What i did was:

1. remove the battery
2. put the battery back
3. plug the charger
4. wait till it was fully charged
5. switch it on

Now if i don't remove it at all it doesn't charge.
I also tried to remove, switch it on and then charge but after is fully charged the charging symbol remains even if the charger is not plugged in and even with low battery.
I tried to reset to factory settings and install the last firmware ... nothing.

Des00

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
The exact same thing happend to me and it was basically the carging hole in the phone ( i don't know the exact name) was broken. I don't even know how it happend...
They told be to buy another phone because it was irreparable but what I did was buying an external battery charger the one were you besically remove the battery from the phone and insert it into the carger and I also bought another battery becuse I didn't want to wait hours for the battery to fully charge.
Way cheaper than buying a new phone which I could not afford at the time.
To prevent your battery from ruin lowering it life, you should avoid charging your battery for too long and too often.

Hope that was helpful.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Hope that was helpful
That was a great post - thanks for providing your solution - that's what makes the forums work.

One thing that you might consider if the battery swapping gets to be cumbersome is a wireless charging solution - this uses a replacement back for the phone and a special inductive charging pad (it uses the same battery though) to charge the battery without using the micro-USB port.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk