Sandisk vs Samsung: Which SD card is best?

twanks

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
could you please bench this card on A1 mem test (google play), enter card type, and phone type in settings...then it will post for others to make buying decisions................i dont know if i should get the same as you or the 64BGB PRO......cheers!

twanks

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
how do you know the pro is better? i havent seen bench comparison between both samsung 64GB formats.....is it really that much faster than the evo for twice the price.....if not much different people should grab the 128evo for same price as 64GB pro......can you throw an A1 bench up please, thanks!

InVez

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
As it has been mentioned SEVERAL times, the Note 4 can only write but so fast.. Those speeds that the pro and extreme will give will not be realized in the Note 4. I have been using the Sandisk Ultras. I had the 64s in my Note 3, no problem, and went with this 128 Ultra from Amazon for my Note 4. I store all my movies, music, pics and personal vids.. IMO, you can NEVER have too much storage.. :D

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory Card Up To 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A [Newest Version]: Computers & Accessories

View attachment 155909

I have this sd card with 48MB/s.
No problems with it. It's fast.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy Note 4

juswannabefree

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Have had terrible experiences with Sandisk cards in both my Note 3 and now my Note 4. Ended up with at least 4 bad Sandisk MicroSD cards. Wouldn't normally post but want to warn others. I finally purchased a Samsung MicroSDXC UHS-1 48MB/s Card and I'm so glad I spent the $$. My iSyncr application was not working with the Sandisk Cards and the moment I inserted Samsung card I had a full sync in just a few minutes - absolutely problem free. My advice is to stick with the Samsung MicroSD cards if you have a Note 3 or Note 4 phone.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Just curious here regarding the Samsung MicroSD; is there a significant advantage between the EVO and PRO evident? Or is just marginal? That is in overall performance/storage.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Just curious here regarding the Samsung MicroSD; is there a significant advantage between the EVO and PRO evident? Or is just marginal? That is in overall performance/storage.

I tried both PRO and EVO in my Note 4 and while PRO is supposed to be much faster than EVO I didn't see any noticeable difference in performance.

Last edited:

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Have there been any issues with sd cards and the note 4? I had the s4 and that kept corrupting my. Cant remember if it was a san disk or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

The_PC

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Can somebody who use a 128 GB EVO please reply whether recording 4K video and sound to that micro SD card does delay the video or make it choppy when playing it back. This is a crucial question I have seen asked in many forums both here and other sites and the only replies we get is "it works" with no details as to the 4K video. If considering a 128 GB SD it is obviously to be able to use it with ALL functions of the smartphone - in my case a Note Edge, so same as a Note 4.

So I'll just re-ask what so many have asked in the hope to get a direct answer ... will selecting the 128 GB EVO cause problems compared to a 64 GB EVO or a 64 GB PRO as apparently there might be a speed difference in recording (reading should be less of an issue but any info on it is also greatly appreciated) between the 64 GB and 128 GB EVO of Samsung.

It would also be good to know whether there might be a bottleneck on the SD bus reducing the write speed to the point of being unusable with 4K video/audio compared to the speed of the internal memory bus. And whether the EVO and PRO versions would make a difference on that SD bus or not. If the bus is locked at a lower speed than both the EVO and PRO one might as well go for size instead of speed since you won't notice a difference between the two versions. In that case one could use the internal memory for recording, and moving the videos later when you got time.

As for prices, Google is my friend, no need to know what price where, it won't help us select one of the cards we're interested in. Don't care about other brands either, sorry.

So thanks in advance if someone with a 128 GB EVO could give as an overview of what he/she tested and what the results are.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I stick with Samsung for my Samsung phones. I had issues with SanDisk with my S4 and Note 2. Ever since then I have bought Samsung and ad no issues. I am using the Evo 64gb now with no issues at all. May pick up a 128 next time there is a sale.

Sent from my Note 4

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy S5 Active, now I'm looking for an SD Card.
I've had too many problems with Sandisk 32gb cards in my S2 Skyrocket
(and I bought the fastest/best available at that time)

I see 3 different 64gb Samsung SDXC cards:
EVO, PRO and UHS-1

Is one any more reliable than the others, or is it purely a matter of speed?
Is the UHS-1 the same as one of the other two?
I didn't see the 128gb Samsung except in the EVO - anyone know why?

watchmania

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Can somebody who use a 128 GB EVO please reply whether recording 4K video and sound to that micro SD card does delay the video or make it choppy when playing it back. This is a crucial question I have seen asked in many forums both here and other sites and the only replies we get is "it works" with no details as to the 4K video. If considering a 128 GB SD it is obviously to be able to use it with ALL functions of the smartphone - in my case a Note Edge, so same as a Note 4.

I tried both PRO and EVO in my Note 4 and while PRO is supposed to be much faster than EVO I didn't see any noticeable difference in performance.

I would be very interested if you can run some simple H2testw comparing both EVO and PRO 128GBs, running repeatedly > 10 times at 16MB write+verify. I am comparing EVO 64GB and EVO 128GB and got very poor result on the EVO 128GB, as attached here. Seems that the EVO 128GB is unstable, compared to the rock-steady write performance on the EVO 64GB.

The problem is, my Colorfly C3 constantly getting buffer underrun at least once in 5 minutes, and I am suspecting that it is encountering CRC read errors causing it to reread the card. I don't think I can test the CRC read error without any special kind of hardware, but the poor write results especially on small file sizes in EVO 128GB says something is really wrong here.

samsung-evo-64-128-test.jpg

watchmania

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Aaaand this seems to be exactly why Apple is going internal storage all the time.

I just remembered I had bad experience with a SanDisk 64GB back in 2011 (or was it 2012?) which dies within 4 months.

The_PC

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed that Samsung released the Pro+ and Evo+ micro SD cards. The new 128 GB Evo+ comes close to the old Pro card in terms of speed. Was going to buy an Evo 128 GB anyway for the tablet (need a lot of room for the movies and not really speed for HD video) so I'll just chuck in an extra 20 euros and go for the 128 GB Evo+. I'll let you guys know how it fares in my Note Edge and in my Note Pro 12". If it turns out to work in both ... will have to get a second one of those lol

If any of you already tested the Evo+ feel free to post your comments please.

watchmania

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed that Samsung released the Pro+ and Evo+ micro SD cards. The new 128 GB Evo+ comes close to the old Pro card in terms of speed. Was going to buy an Evo 128 GB anyway for the tablet (need a lot of room for the movies and not really speed for HD video) so I'll just chuck in an extra 20 euros and go for the 128 GB Evo+.

Great! Can you do a favor by testing with CrystalDiskMark on the Evo+ 128GB card? That would be very helpful.

I already returned my Evo 128GB, so if Evo+ 128GB is proven to be faster in particular on small blocks read/write, I'd probably get one, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed that Samsung released the Pro+ and Evo+ micro SD cards.
Just curious here, is that specific Samsung microSD PRO+/EVO+ available now in your part of this sphere? The Samsung online website simply states "COMING SOON" and when I click on "Find Online or Locally" there's nothing as of yet.

The_PC

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Yup, I'm in France. Amazon had it but apparently very small stock as it disappeared off my basket before I could buy it. There are only 4 vendors now proposing the 128 GB Evo+ (red label). On the french Samsung site you can find the specs but it's not available in their shop (very little of their website actually is, and at prices only a blind man would buy). The old Evo 128 GB said "transfer speed up to 46 Mbps" while the new Evo+ 128 GB mentions "up to 80 Mbps read and up to 20 Mbps write".

Since I need large capacity microSD for my Note Pro 12" I will test it in both that and my Note Edge... as the Edge will be the limiting factor in the write operation I want to know if it reaches the 20 Mbps or not. If it doesn't and the HD video remains choppy my only solution will be to record HD in the internal memory then move it to the SD card. No need to fork out more for a Pro or Pro+ since the phone won't be able to use that speed anyway. If it does reach the 2° Mbps (which I strongly doubt) I might go for a 64 GB Pro+ in the Edge and leave the 128 GB Evo+ in the Note Pro 12" (to stock a large quantity of movies)