Screen goes blank during calls

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.

It could be your screen protector interfering with the proximity sensor if you have one installed.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a flaky proximity sensor to me. @GSDer, if you were thinking of my thread, my issue was the screen not lighting on incoming calls when I have a Bluetooth headset connected. That issue is resolved with uninstallation of updates to the phone app.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
@GSDer, if you were thinking of my thread, my issue was the screen not lighting on incoming calls when I have a Bluetooth headset connected. That issue is resolved with uninstallation of updates to the phone app.
No, I thought I had come across a separate thread about black screen during calls not going away when you move the phone away from your face (a typical proximity sensor issue) but it's good to know that your issue was resolved; thanks for the update!

prestigiouswireless

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
My wife’s does the same thing. I can set it on the table initiate the call and a half second later goes blank. Can’t even hang up a call. Had to activate the power button to end a call.

Now it does have a screen protector but it’s glass not sure how it would mess up the proximity sensor

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife’s does the same thing. I can set it on the table initiate the call and a half second later goes blank. Can’t even hang up a call. Had to activate the power button to end a call.

Now it does have a screen protector but it’s glass not sure how it would mess up the proximity sensor

I have seen several reports where a glass screen protector that worked perfectly fine with 8.0 didn't work well with 8.1.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I received an update yesterday for Pixel Ambient Services. Check your Play Store and see if you have that update pending or if it was installed. Maybe that will help?

apattin

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
For whatever it's worth. We had two problems: (a) the screen would dim very quickly even when the phone was flat on a desk. Problem solved by cleaning the screen protector. (b) Even after this, the screen would go dark when making a phone call. Solved the problem by removing and re-inserting the screen protector (it's not one of those peel off ones).

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife's P2XL is doing the same thing. Zaag glass screen protector, had the earlier Jan phone update and today I installed the Jan 31update same issue

As soon as her new screen protector comes in I'll try it w/o to see it that is a contributing factor

Rick

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Zaag glass screen protector
Does that screen protector have the little cutout for the proximity sensor?

I can't keep track of what everyone is sporting - do you also have a Pixel 2 XL? If so, does it also have the same Zaag glass screen protector?

prestigiouswireless

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
So I just got a new tempered glass for my wife’s pixel. I took the old one off wiped down the screen and made a test call and perfection.

I then laid the new one on top and made a test call and perfect too. So then I finally adhered it to the screen and still good.

Maybe she had too much foundation or other makeup gunk on old one for it to function. Just because the new and old one have the exact same cut outs.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Had an incoming call while I was driving and screen remained black. I only knew who it was by the custom ringtone. Since driving I did not answer but sheesh, hope this isn't going to be a thing. The proximity sensor has always been fine but this is something quite different anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on it.