Screen issues are seriously over hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2015
Visit site
What does that matter? People are allowed to criticize something that has problems regardless if they own it.

There is no valid point of reference. If everyone that owns it and uses it daily says there isn't a problem...and the ONLY people complaining don't own it. Hmmmm, wonder where the issue is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please show where I “bashed” the Pixel, or called out anything other than the phone’s polarizing screen. I actually praised other aspects of the phone, yet that was ignored. I wonder why? lol

Guess we need to own the device to have one sliver of opinion about it.

Owners only forum?

That said, the camera is the best out there (oops, I don't own one so this opinion is invalid too) and if that's what someone wants in a phone, they should consider either Pixel, regardless of the poor quality display that LG has provided for the Pixel 2 XL.

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There is no valid point of reference. If everyone that owns it and uses it daily says there isn't a problem...and the ONLY people complaining don't own it. Hmmmm, wonder where the issue is.

Do people using them in a store count? If they see clear issues with the display there, are those experiences somehow invalid?

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
It is in line with flagship pricing. The problem is it is not flagship quality at the moment. You think people buy a Lexus and accept Kia quality just because they paid the premium price?
Please don't try to make another analogy ever again. For the sake of all mankind. Thank you.

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I would say so. The screen is tuned different than most. Even the og pixel XL. Took me a full day of use to acclimate. Now it looks perfect.

I really don't think people are talking about the colors here. If it was just the color calibration I wouldn't have cancelled my preorder. I want Google to fix these issues so that I can order an XL again. I don't want the 5" screen with massive bezels.

You can pretend that the phone doesn't have issues all you want, meanwhile I'm going to complain about the issues because I want to buy the damn phone and I'm not going to until the issues are fixed.

The Pixel 2 XL is the phone I have been dreaming about except for the stupid screen. If the units in both the Verizon stores here are defective, Google needs to hurry up and get non defective screens in to the stores so that I can see what it is really supposed to look like.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I really don't think people are talking about the colors here. If it was just the color calibration I wouldn't have cancelled my preorder. I want Google to fix these issues so that I can order an XL again. I don't want the 5" screen with massive bezels.

You can pretend that the phone doesn't have issues all you want, meanwhile I'm going to complain about the issues because I want to buy the damn phone and I'm not going to until the issues are fixed.

The Pixel 2 XL is the phone I have been dreaming about except for the stupid screen. If the units in both the Verizon stores here are defective, Google needs to hurry up and get non defective screens in to the stores so that I can see what it is really supposed to look like.

And once again. Do you really not find it odd that the only people complaining don't own it? And they people that do love it. Sounds like you're missing out on a device you would love over a non-issue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Apparently your opinions are invalid because you don't own the phone yet.

(See how ridiculous that sounds?)

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
And once again. Do you really not find it odd that the only people complaining don't own it? And they people that do love it.

All kinds of people love all kinds of things that I don't love. I can only go off of what I see with my own eyes in front of me at the store, and how I use the phone. I do tend to look at my phone off axis quite a bit and I know that the blue shift (on the phones I saw) would really bother me.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So as one person who actually did buy it and use it for a few days I am returning it because of the screen and also Bluetooth issues with my car. The screen was never great especially coming from my S8+ but I was willing to give it a shot. I was showing a friend a picture and he commented that it looked blue. I realized the phone was not directly facing him but slightly off center which is how you show people pictures on your phone most of the time. Fantastic phone otherwise but I think the resell value is going to be below average and I sell my phone each year to buy the next one. I'll stick with the S8+ on it's older software for now unfortunately.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
It is simple folks. You can get a Pixel two with front firing speakers. Zero screen issue turned to sRGB. Best OS experience. Best camera. Surprise!!!!! Merry early Christa's, you get more cartoon mode, anti burn in software update, and a whole extra year of warranty. Take it or leave it because you are not getting 3.5mm Jack or Samsung Note 5 screen.

Or you can get 2XL with bigger screen and bigger battery. It may have a blue tint at an angle, or it may not. You get the same goodies and early Christmas gifts too. Don't like it? Wait another year and subscribe to Pixel 3 forum.

I did reluctantly order a Pixel 2 last night after trying out the Essential phone and deciding it wasn't for me. I wish they at least had "Kinda Blue" available but I had to go with plain old black. I'm still hoping that they fix the XL screen issues so that I can eventually sell that and get a 2 XL.

Otherwise eagerly awaiting Pixel 3 XL.

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
And once again. Do you really not find it odd that the only people complaining don't own it? And they people that do love it. Sounds like you're missing out on a device you would love over a non-issue.

Or... The people complaining didn't buy because they saw it in person and the screen was utter crap, especially for $900.

You're obviously hell-bent on defending this thing, but please stop trying to delegitimize the concerns of others. I'm happy that your display is fine. But your experience does not mean everything is fine with the others.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they're overblown at all. I just played around with a XL at Best Buy and holy crap, the blue shift when tilting the screen is absolutely awful and much worse than it looked in videos I've seen. Completely put me off from picking one up.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It kinda sounds to me like both sides are going off the rails here, and both need to take it down a notch.

Yes, those who disagree have a right to express their opinions about the screen. It doesn't mean they're right and you're wrong or vice versa. It's just that, their opinion. Yes, some displays have issues. But without seeing every single device no one can say with anything resembling certainty how widespread the issue is. And as some have stated, there are thresholds to what each person finds unacceptable, so to say that those who like it are overlooking the issue or dealing with it, just because you find it unacceptable doesn't mean that your opinion carriers anymore weight than anyone else's. For those who like it, it's not (or shouldn't be) a personal attack on your decision. But we also can't live in an echo chamber and reject anything negative about the device either. Yes it seems like there are a lot more negative than positive press about it. Without knowing how widespread the issue is, we don't know if this is genuinely a serious issue or if it's simply the web's penchant for taking small or regular issues and blowing them up to increase web traffic. It could be a bit of both.

The only opinion that matters in these cases is your own for your own circumstances. No need to ridicule or marginalize anyone else for their opinions.

And if there are some who are actually just trolling on either side for whatever reason, knock it off and grow up.

End rant.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Or... The people complaining didn't buy because they saw it in person and the screen was utter crap, especially for $900.

You're obviously hell-bent on defending this thing, but please stop trying to delegitimize the concerns of others. I'm happy that your display is fine. But your experience does not mean everything is fine with the others.

You're right. Everyone that actually owns it is wrong and the people that played with a display model for 2 minutes and watched a YouTube video are right. Perfectly sensible.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's just silly. We're all smartphone fans here, and discuss every phone released. Why wouldn't we? The Pixel is a phone a lot of us considered, and ultimately decided on something else. Some are still considering it.

Why would others opinions even matter to you? Now that seems like a waste of time,

I think the difference is people don't mind discussion. What we see a lot of is people just trashing a phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I think the difference is people don't mind discussion. What we see a lot of is people just trashing a phone.

Are people trashing the phone? Or are people criticizing the XL display? There is a difference right?

I’m thinking of pre ordering the smaller Pixel 2. I wanted the taller one, but I’m unconvinced that there isn’t a problem with that screen. People getting defensive are actually hurting not helping.

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
There is a problem with the screen, I put it next to an S8+, U11, Essential, even an M10... Guess which one had the worse screen?
The problem is the screen sucks. It's grainy as ****, dull and blotchy. The blue tint at an angle is a non issue for me, I don't look at my phone at an angle. But I've seen some that you tilt even a few degrees and you get blue tint.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I owned it and I'm criticizing it. A lot of the people criticizing it have also spent time with one in a Verizon store. It is not a valid 'thing' to say that people can't criticize something because they don't own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.