Screen issues are seriously over hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6P is awesome. I kind of wish now that I had purchased one when it launched! I really miss the stock Android experience.
Ditto Morty... Great device.
the only reason I gave my up was that Nexus phones were not fully compatible with Verizon features.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ditto Morty... Great device.
the only reason I gave my up was that Nexus phones were not fully compatible with Verizon features.

That's too bad! A necessary sacrifice. :( I didn't get it to shuffle between different manufacturers; but blah, I miss Nexus. And my Nexus 5. :(

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the Nexus 1, 4, 5, 6, 6p, Pixel XL and for 4 whole days the 2 XL. The 6p was a pretty good device. I really liked it a lot a friend of mine bought it off me for his girlfriend who is still using it to this day and loves it. In my opinion it was a great phone. I can't fully knock the 2 XL. I flat out got a bad device... It picked up a dark burn in like line across the top of the device within 24 hours and within 48 hours it started to get a second dark burn in like line about 1/3rd the way from the bottom. The lines would both go away if you left the screen off for an hour or two but as you used it they both would creep back in. within 72 hours I started having touch screen issues. couldn't click on anything or even scroll. the screen was failing and the touch sensitivity was going away completely. I elected for a full refund instead of trying to exchange it just because there are questions about these devices and their screens. Opted to wait on Google and LG to work on a solution and I may revisit the device in a few months. $1,000 is a lot to spend on something with so many questions about it. outside of the screen it was shaping up to be a great freaking phone.

For now I picked up an Essential phone (My daughter refuses to give me back the original Pixel XL) the build quality is amazing. But it does have it's issues (The camera still needs a lot of work) but it's issues are a lot easier to look past at only $499 vs $949....

emilcDC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
IMG-20171027-WA0001.jpg Say what you will, but this happened to my phone four days after use. Thankfully, Google is sending me a new one and I still believe in the 2 XL, but I have no way of knowing if the newer phone will have better QA or won't develop the same problem.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
You can't simply eyeball mobile and TV display performance anymore, the displays are now considerably more complex with lots of internal modes and variables that need to be properly lab tested, measured, and evaluated

Meh, I don't agree with the Forbes dude. I think that kind of thinking gets people going down a rabbit hole of specs sometimes. I can, in fact, eyeball a display and decide if I like it or not, and so can most people. I may or may not know WHY I like it - what technologies or display settings or tuning led me to decide - but I can sure know if a display is good, just by looking at it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are people trashing the phone? Or are people criticizing the XL display? There is a difference right?

I’m thinking of pre ordering the smaller Pixel 2. I wanted the taller one, but I’m unconvinced that there isn’t a problem with that screen. People getting defensive are actually hurting not helping.

Well we can't criticize one aspect of it without the defenders blowing that out of proportion.

In my opinion, based on what I've seen in stores and from reviewers I trust, the LG display panel that Google is using on the Pixel 2 XL simply isn't as good as say a Galaxy S8/Note 8 panel.

That doesn't mean that the entire phone sucks. Pretty much everything else (especially the camera - most importantly for me the camera) is better than everyone else.

I don't own the phone. I don't think I'll ever get the Pixel 2 XL. I'm more interested in the Pixel 2 because I'd get everything I need from the Pixel 2 XL with an arguably better display in terms of over all quality.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 272651 Say what you will, but this happened to my phone four days after use. Thankfully, Google is sending me a new one and I still believe in the 2 XL, but I have no way of knowing if the newer phone will have better QA or won't develop the same problem.

Had a green line on our first gen Pixel last year. Google took care of us and replaced it. No issues on the replacement.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Meh, I don't agree with the Forbes dude. I think that kind of thinking gets people going down a rabbit hole of specs sometimes. I can, in fact, eyeball a display and decide if I like it or not, and so can most people. I may or may not know WHY I like it - what technologies or display settings or tuning led me to decide - but I can sure know if a display is good, just by looking at it.

I think the point he was making is the *self proclaimed* tech experts don't know what they're talking about with the new technology for displays.

I went to several Verizon stores half a dozen times while I was waiting to get my Pixel 2 XL on the 18th, and checked out 3 different XLs. The screen may not be the best but it's plenty good IMO. As always: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's a Galaxy S8 at my store after a month of viewing...

Why are all these sites constantly bashing Google, But say nothing about other devices like this...
be2e8f2d5d9b14f89ec02eeb19a1a0a6.jpg

TennisGuy45

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I've gone to two different Verizon stores and looked at the Pixel 2 XL for myself.

The display SUX. I found myself trying to make a concerted effort to hold the phone at just the right angle in front of my face to avoid the very noticeable blue tint.
At first you walk in and the display doesnt look too bad but when you look at the settings you notice the brightness is set to 100%.
When you set it to auto brightness you quickly realize how dim and pale the screen is and then you notice the blue tint more along with the grainy appearance.

Sorry but $850 my butt. Google wants a premium price they should offer a premium experience.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, based on what I've seen in stores and from reviewers I trust, the LG display panel that Google is using on the Pixel 2 XL simply isn't as good as say a Galaxy S8/Note 8 panel.

I own the Pixel 2 XL and can agree with this. While I accept the "faults" with the screen (as in they don't bother me personally) they are 110% not on par w/ Samsung displays.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
As I'm still waiting for my 2 XL (UK one's aren't shipped until 14th Nov) I popped back to the shop to look at the screen again today (I tend to do so every week or so to re-assure myself after reading negative opinion online.) Once again, I came away happy, because the screen is great.

It's not perfect, and it's not as good as Samsung - let's make that clear. The blue tint is there, although to me it's hardly noticeable if you're not looking at it (on that unit, clearly others have units which have a much bigger tint). Apart from the blue tint though, it's a beautiful screen.

The problem seems to be the variance in screens, with some having real problems. But if the phone in the shop is the Pixel 2XL as it should be (great, but not industry leading, has blue shift) then that's what I want!

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
My son gets his 2xl today. its waiting for him at home. he's a pixel 1 user And loves The phone. on my upgraded because of the Google update offer. I agreed him if he was worried about the blue tint issue. he said... dad the issue is on 8.1. apparently he updated the pixel 1 tho 8.1, and the blue tint was immediately noticeable. so.. some of issue, at least, is software based. so I'm waiting to hear what he says about the rest of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332