SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

natetrain247

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a Evo+ 64 gb with just pics and music on it and I have seen this issue in the beginning then all of a sudden it stopped for like a week and a half. Then out of nowhere this morning it started again, but tonight nothing. It's very random.
My wife's phone has 0 issues with the same type of card in her phone.

kwoklone

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. Here is what I have tried and it seems I have gone longer without this notification than before.

Go to settings >app permissions >storage
Allow all apps that may want storage permission.

I figured it was no big deal since I install apps that I generally trust. Only did this 12 hours ago, but no notifications since. Will continue to monitor.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think it's a hardware issue, although that may seem like the most likely scenario.

Here's why I think it's a bug or compatibility issue:

If it's hardware, the SD card would actually unmount and the files, images, and apps would also be inaccessible. Also, I find it hard to believe that the card loses contact, but gains it right back.

My experience with my wife's phone when it was giving us trouble was that the card was accessible the entire time and it never unmounted; it would just pop up the dreaded notification every now and then. I think it's a bug or compatibility issue.

My wife's phone is going on 24 hours so far with no notifications after I swapped her card with mine. My phone is also notification free.

I would LUV to see this make its way to more online outlets, so we can get definitive answers from Samsung.

By the way, I chatted with them online yesterday and they gave me the: "Oh, this is the first we're hearing of it, but here's how to get into safe mode" speech.

S.

Posted via the Android Central App

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone with two phones where only one is having the issue tried swapping the sim card trays to see if it makes a difference?

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone with two phones where only one is having the issue tried swapping the sim card trays to see if it makes a difference?

It was going to be my next step. However, after swapping my card with my wife's (we both have new S7 Edge), my phone just popped the SD card notification. Initially, it was my wife's phone and mine was clear. Now, it's mine and my wife's is clear.

I know that the card that has been problematic in both phones is 128 GB, while the one that hasn't been acting up is an 8 GB card. I'm gonna check the brand and speed/rating of both cards when I get home and update the thread.

S.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I fixed it by doing a factory reset. Not only did I have this sd card notification issue, but I could not get the fingerprint to read my 3rd or 4th fingerprints. I deleted them all, and # 1 and 2 will always work. But 3 and 4 saved, but did not work when trying to unlock phone. Tried it with multiple fingers, so it seems like a software bug.

Factory reset last night, and all fingerprints working now from #1 - #4, and no more sd card notification.

I also think it's because I used Samsung switch to restore my phone. I always do fresh installs, but wanted to try it out since I just returned my JOD phone and was a good use case.

For those that have this sd card notification issue, did you restore from backup/samsung switch, or did you start from scratch?

Are you still notification free?!

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Update number... ugh, whatever:

After switching off battery optimization for System UI yesterday I have not had the notification back at all. At the rate I was getting them I would have seen it by now. This, of course, doesn't mean it won't return, but it's been a while.

To answer happy2000hk's question, when I factory reset, I started from scratch and the notification still came back.

The fact that DIFFERENT steps lead to solving this issue still makes me think it's hardware. How could this issue be resolved in so many different ways if it was just one of those things? It has to be whatever is common to ALL our phones and carriers.

GoldenEmu

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think it's a hardware issue, although that may seem like the most likely scenario.

Here's why I think it's a bug or compatibility issue:

If it's hardware, the SD card would actually unmount and the files, images, and apps would also be inaccessible. Also, I find it hard to believe that the card loses contact, but gains it right back.

For me it does sometimes re-mount the card. Usually it's just the regular "explore the sd card" message, but sometimes it briefly displays the "preparing sd card" message and the contents of the card are unavailable. Per one of the suggestions I transferred an app to the card and all was fine for a couple days, but now the app icon changed to a generic android sd card icon. I can still use it, but sometimes have to click thru some 'unavailable' messages.

So it's either losing physical contact with the sd card or it isn't maintain some sort of connection when it's asleep. Perhaps a new tray with a tighter fit in some spots will fix it, or maybe a software fix to maintain the connection. For me I get the error nearly every time I turn on the screen. My wife was getting the error for the first few days, but for her it has magically gone away. I'm guessing it will come back if she ever reboots. I'm using 128gb Silicon Power, she has 64gb SP.

Luis Lopez15

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I did the encryption on sd card and so far the only notification I have is the encrypted sd card one.This has been since last night. Is there a way to get rid of the encrypted notification?

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok I got a new phone, something interesting, the SD/SIM tray on this one holds the SD card much tighter, there is a small additional protrusion into the SD area toward the thick part of the card, that holds it tighter up/down, and side-to-side is does not have any excess room either. It's been 3+hours with the EVO+, no bad notifications yet and I restarted once too.

As a final FU from my old phone, it would not let my password keeper app export a plain text file of my password list to the SD card, luckily I screenshot all my passwords, and I'll have to re-enter them manually.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Ok I got a new phone, something interesting, the SD/SIM tray on this one holds the SD card much tighter, there is a small additional protrusion into the SD area toward the thick part of the card, that holds it tighter up/down, and side-to-side is does not have any excess room either. It's been 3+hours with the EVO+, no bad notifications yet and I restarted once too.

As a final FU from my old phone, it would not let my password keeper app export a plain text file of my password list to the SD card, luckily I screenshot all my passwords, and I'll have to re-enter them manually.

Would you be kind enough to provide a picture, please? You might be on to something here.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I am going to let the phone run as it is for a while but definitely will after tomorrow if I get no notifications.

Thanks Friend. I feel like we have all become friends fighting for the same cause: "getting Samsung to own up to its muck up"😂😂😂😂

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
First thing and you'll think it's stupid but double check that the Sim/SD cards tray is all the way in, flat with the frame, there are already reports of people with similar issues (including me the first day) that didn't realize that the tray wasn't completely flat with the frame, most of the time because of the SD and/or the Sim cards not in correct position on the tray.

Once I pushed the tray a little further it's flat now with the frame and I haven't seen the error anymore, the same with other users.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
To add more confusion. I was notification free for quite a while then today I was at best buy and wanted to check online prices and installed the best buy app. Within the next hour got two notifications.
I've revoked all the app permissions and so far so good, I'll report back if anything changes.

By the way, there's no folders or files from the best buy app on the card, so the reappearance may have been coincidental.

Edit: never mind, been using the video camera and the notification has been popping up regularly.

Last edited:

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
This thread makes my issue seem minor but maybe related? On Verizon, 200gb SanDisk card. I ONLY see the notification on restart. My issue is without any notification my SD card is not available for my camera and no files display in gallery or astro file Mgr.

No rhyme or reason. Assume it just un mounts. I restart and it is good. But have never had multiple notifications since I put card in, just on restart.

Wish there was a pattern here. Samsung needs to fix, SD card on my S5 was rock solid.

Bjb1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110