Seidio Surface Case with Holster G-Nex - Review and Pics

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello there.

I purchased my Galaxy Nexus on launch day and have been very happy with it. One of the very first things that I wanted to accomplish was to find a desirable case and holster for it. I have been a long time Blackberry user and this is my first venture into an Android phone. Not being accustomed to the sheer size of Nexus, I wanted to make sure I took steps to ensure it's safety.

I have used Seidio products extensively in my owning of Blackberries. While they have served me relatively well, my Seidio accessories have had a small handful of drawbacks. The big issue here is that there aren't very many hard holster/case combos in the market that are really made well. For me, it really comes down to Seidio and Otterbox.

My dilemma? I like the Otterbox Commuter, but I really prefer to have it in a hard holster. In the past, on certain model of phones, you were able to fit an Otterbox Commuter cased phone into a Seidio Innocase Surface holster. It was not the case across the board with all models, but for some, luck was on their side. I searched the net for anyone articles or postings that may have tried this combination on the Galaxy Nexus. Whereas I found similar inquiries, no one really took steps in getting the hardware to come up with a conclusive answer. ALSO, I had full intentions on using Samsung's 2100mah extended battery with whatever I ended up with.

So, I went ahead and ordered an Otterbox Commuter and a Seidio Surface case/holster combo. I received the Seidio in today.

First, let's answer the big questions regarding the fit of the case while using the extended 2100mah battery. It "sort of" works. It depends on what you are willing to compromise. See below.

Using the extended battery and it's accompanying battery cover door, the Seidio Surface case doesn't snap together very tightly at the bottom of the phone. The extended battery generates most of it's added thickness on the bottom of the phone, leaving the top half of the phone relatively unchanged. While I was able to snap together most of the two halves of the Surface case, you can see by the picture that it clearly leaves a small gap at the bottom. It also required quite a bit of pressure to get the case snapped as much as it ended up in the picture below.

UPDATE: Calipered measurements: 5.445"H, 2.86"W.

Nexus5.jpg

Seidio Surface Case with Extended Battery/Door installed.

Nexus4.jpg

Same as above, but inside the holster. You can feel it squeezing into the holster.

So, to some it may be okay. I wasn't really too happy about how that looked. Moving forward, I decided to see how it would fit with the extended battery installed, but WITHOUT the battery cover. After removing the cover and reinstalling the Surface case, I found it to fit beautifully.

Nexus6.jpg

Seidio Surface Case with Extended Battery WITHOUT the battery cover.

Without the battery cover on, I pressed around the back of the Seidio Surface cover and found that the battery was pressed nicely up against the back of the back half of the case with very little chance of movement. Testing further up the back of the case, towards the camera, I did notice some slight spacing, but too little to impact functionality. Even at the camera, it's a pretty good tight fit.

Nexus8.jpg

Pretty tight fit around the camera opening.

The holster that comes with the combo is Seidio's spring clip holster. Historically, Seidio has made a few variants of this clip holster. 1. A version for an uncased (naked) phone) offered in both a locking and non-locking clip model. 2. A version for an innocase Surface I or II case. The one that comes with this particular combo is their non-locking spring clip holster, obviously for the Surface case. The quality of the holster itself is nice, using thick gauge polycarbonate. Unlike some of Seidio holsters in the past, this one does not use their trademark "soft touch" coating on the shell of the holster. Another interesting observation is that the belt clip offers a larger gap (about 1/4") between the clip and the holster. Good for thick belt/pants, but I'm guessing it would offer a sloppier feel for thinner belts. My older Seidio holsters were about 1/8".

Nexus10.jpg

Nexus11.jpg

Nexus1.jpg

The Surface case itself is pretty nice. Unlike previous Surface cases where it was a two piece design that included a top and bottom half that slipped onto the phone like opposing sleeves, this model is halved at the front and back. Nonetheless, it snaps on pretty tight. It is coated with Seidio's soft touch coating, making it feel kind of like a velvety rubber. The provisions for the volume rocker, lock/power button, and the usb/earpiece ports on the bottom are nicely cut and functional. There are also cutouts in the back for the camera, speaker, and both microphones. SEIDIO is embossed on the lower part of the back half. Pics below.

Nexus2.jpg

Nexus3.jpg

Nexus7.jpg

Nexus9.jpg

That addition slotted cutout is so that you can open the case with a coin.

Speaking of their trademark soft touch coating. I have mixed experiences with it. On my Blackberries, the finish eventually work off in some higher traffic contact points. Scratches on the finish can look especially pronounced. And unlike a hard matted, uncoated polycarbonate finish, the soft touch coating actually retains some of your hand's natural oils. It rubs clean easy enough, but this would likely never be seen on an uncoated matte finish. I included a picture below, comparing it against my Seidio case for my Blackberry Tour. You can see where some of the finish rubbed off at the sides of the battery cover, leaving a shiny under-finish.

Nexus12.jpg

Over, I like the function and fit of the combo, especially after installing the case without the G-Nex's extended battery door cover. The fit of the case to holster is very nice, much tighter and nicer than the same case/holster combo for my previous Blackberry. I will still LOVE to see the Otterbox Commuter fit into this holster, but I really have my reservations now that I am able to assess the holster in hand. I think the Commuter will be too thick/big for it to fit into the Surface holster. Maybe a chance in the Seidio Active holster, but hard to say there too. Nonetheless, I will be receiving my Otterbox Commuter case tomorrow and will promptly see if it will fit into the Seidio holster. If not, oh well...I'll either keep it as a backup or maybe see if I can convince my wife to use it on her G-Nex. She uses Verizon's stock silicon case, which surprisingly is pretty nice and fits pretty well.

I'll return tomorrow evening with a few more pics of the Otterbox Commuter (although there are end-user reviews already out on forums already) and it's attempt to squeeze into the Seidio holster. If it doesn't work out, I'll consider getting a Seidio Active holster and see if it will fit there (assuming I can't find someone else out there who has tried that experiment). Next week, my Ghost Armor screen protectors come in (I absolutely LOVE their screen protectors!) and I'll be set.

All that's left is wait out for the G-Nex radios to stabilize and await what can/will be done about controlling power consumption. Patience is something that I have learned to have. I hope this post helps some of you out there. Let me know if there are any questions or other pic angles that you would like me to provide.

Paul.

Last edited:

Hondo_Lane

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
+1

Nice review, Thank you!

I am thinking about taking my original battery cover and trimming out the area where the extended battery would actually touch the original cover. Then put the GNex in the Surface Case. This should eliminate any gap around the camera.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the excellent review and pics. I have the exteneded battery and wanted to see if the case would fit w/it. It sounds like the only way to make it happen is to remover the back cover. I'm not really keen on that idea for my phone. What if the phone comes out of the case, or moisture/dust etc get trapped in the inside of the phone? So much for the warranty. I guess I'm not willing to tinker that much. Unfortunately, there doesnt seem to be any alternative out there w/a holster.
tx again.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have this same case/holster combo and like it. The only thing I do not care for is the bottom doesnt snap the two halves very well together. But no big deal the case is still on their well.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
What if the phone comes out of the case, or moisture/dust etc get trapped in the inside of the phone? So much for the warranty. I guess I'm not willing to tinker that much. Unfortunately, there doesnt seem to be any alternative out there w/a holster.
tx again.

The two halves of the Seidio case fits pretty tight together and the phone rests very snug inside the case. There is no play or movement of the phone when installed in the surface case at all. No worries there. I would have liked for the oem battery cover to be able to installed and fit the case, but from the looks of it, I would have no worries at all about dust or moisture issues. Not any more than you would worry if it were just the stock battery cover.

The fit around the camera is very good. The gap between the case and the surface of the exterior camera assembly is relatively tight. Maybe 1/32". Very acceptable in my eyes. Interesting idea of modifying the stock battery cover to accommodate the top half of back of the phone to add more protection around the camera. I will have to explore that idea this week.

My Otterbox Commuter case should be in this afternoon. I will be doing another evaluation and seeing whether or not I get lucky to have it installed and fit into the Seidio case.

I've been wearing the holster/case combo today. So far, it's been really nice and functional. Despite the larger than expected clearances between the belt clip and the holster, it's been very stable on my side.

More to come...

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
... If not, oh well...I'll either keep it as a backup or maybe see if I can convince my wife to use it on her G-Nex. She uses Verizon's stock silicon case, which surprisingly is pretty nice and fits pretty well.

Super review, Paul. Thanks!

Question for you if you wouldn't mind checking it out...does your wife's phone with the silicone case fit and/or work out OK in the Seidio holster?

Thanks in advance.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Super review, Paul. Thanks!

Question for you if you wouldn't mind checking it out...does your wife's phone with the silicone case fit and/or work out OK in the Seidio holster?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the kind words. I was glad to do it, being that I was the person on the other side of the line just a few days ago.

Yes, I will gladly test out my wife's G-Nex with the Verizon silicone case installed. From memory, I think that the thickness of the material used in the silicone case is thicker than that of the plastic used in the Seidio Surface case. My initial guess is that it's too big to fit, but I'll do that assessement alongside the Otterbox Commuter.

UPDATE: My review and pictures of the Seidio holster and VZW Silicone case testing is up in a new thread! GNex + Otterbox - VZW Silicone + Seidio Holster Fit Test

yosteve said:
Their website is running the coupon WINTER11

Ah, Murphey's Law strikes again! I'd get Seidio coupon notifications in my email all the time. Sadly, I could not find a valid one for when I purchased my combo set. Now here it is. ;) Well, some good can come from this. 1. I can order the Active holster and see if the Otterbox Commuter will fit, assuming it doesn't work with the surface case. 2. For those who got some good out of reading my review and have an interest in buying one of these combos, it serves as an added incentive.

Speaking of incentives, did you notice the Seidio reusable shopping style bag that my G-Nex is resting on in the pictuers that I posted? It comes as a bonus with your purchase. FYI.

Last edited:

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
does the seidio case come off easy? i tend to use car mount alot.

I use a seidio case on my thunderbolt. that case was the best case i ever had for my t-bolt. easy to come off but when dropped, it held together well and protected the phone well. Loved that it's a slider case.

the seidio case for gnex is snap on type which scares me as those snap on type tends to come apart when dropped.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
does the seidio case come off easy? i tend to use car mount alot.

I use a seidio case on my thunderbolt. that case was the best case i ever had for my t-bolt. easy to come off but when dropped, it held together well and protected the phone well. Loved that it's a slider case.

the seidio case for gnex is snap on type which scares me as those snap on type tends to come apart when dropped.

The Seidio Surface case doesn't come apart as easily as one would like, being condusive for frequent removal. That being said, I am confident that it would take a drop fine without the fear of ejecting the GNex out of the case. I would guess that some of the snaps may detatch, but not complete separation from impact. I found that the best way for me to remove the case is to part the case at the slot on the right side of the case with a coin. Then part the two halves from the bottom of the case, working your way to the top.

The Otterbox Commuter, by comparison, requires a more complex method of disassembly and reassembly.

Again, when installed in either of the above cases, makes for frequent removal a bit of a chore. That's the compromise for protection. I had plans on using the "real" Samsung car dock upon it's availability, so I'll be faced with a very similar situation.

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i just wish seidio made a slider type for the gnex just like they have for the Tbolt. that case for tbolt is amazing....

jshaffer75

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get the holster but the case I got is a little loose and creaky sounding on the right hand side. Everytime I pick it up I hear it make the creaky sound. It seems tightly fit otherwise but a little disappointed in that one spot.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Does the holster work w the phone naked?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sorry about the late reply. Holidays, Family, crazy kids...you know the drill. Anyways, a naked GNex in the holster WILL fit, but it's far too lose and sloppy to be considered functional and viable. Sorry. I'm surprised, however, that Seidio did not make an inclination that a non-cased holster is in the works. Also surprised that no mention about an extended Innocell battery either.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get the holster but the case I got is a little loose and creaky sounding on the right hand side. Everytime I pick it up I hear it make the creaky sound. It seems tightly fit otherwise but a little disappointed in that one spot.

Mine doesn't have such issues, as I tested it after reading your post. Although I used my Otterbox Commuter as my primary case, I changed cases over to the Surface and tested for fit...no issues. Consider calling Seidio and requesting a replacement.

jshaffer75

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't have such issues, as I tested it after reading your post. Although I used my Otterbox Commuter as my primary case, I changed cases over to the Surface and tested for fit...no issues. Consider calling Seidio and requesting a replacement.

Will do. Thanks.