SGT 10.1 smashed LCD 2 weeks in....cost/3rd party options?

spikerjack

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sadly had my new SGT 10.1 slip out of a backpack (pre case or protector) and had the screen get "classic cracked" only two weeks into use. Tons of web searching has turned up no 3rd party repair options as of yet (not exactly surprised) and today I called Samsung....who told me I had to call THEIR 3rd party repair firm (Intelisol), get the cost from them, and if I agreed I could call Samsung back up and arrange the repair.

Not exactly AppleCare.

That said...anybody know if there are 3rd party repair options on the 10.1 (P7510) yet? Anybody hazard a guess at cost to repair via Samsung/Intelisol?

I appreciate any experiences and thoughts on this. Thanks.

SGTP7510crackedlcd2.JPG

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
well we know its not gorilla glass. should have put it in a case, atleast there might have been a chance to save it. mine never leaves the house, i carry a bb playbook around in a otterbox case.

hurricane5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Get a Squaretrade warranty with the accidental damage protection (about $70 for the 16gb).

Haven't used it on my 10.1, but when my son cracked the screen on his ipod touch, they basically paid the replacement cost.

den29

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you paid for it with a credit card, you might be insured. Check the card benefits. My card has purchase protection for just such an occurrence.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Get a Squaretrade warranty with the accidental damage protection (about $70 for the 16gb).

Haven't used it on my 10.1, but when my son cracked the screen on his ipod touch, they basically paid the replacement cost.

The $70 warranty only extends the manufacturers warranty to 3 years. For spills and drops its an extra $40 plus a $50 deductible for each claim. You would be out $160 to get this fixed through square trade. I'm sure a new screen is cheaper. Extended warranties are usually not a good deal.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
well we know its not gorilla glass. should have put it in a case, atleast there might have been a chance to save it. mine never leaves the house, i carry a bb playbook around in a otterbox case.

A piece of Gorilla Glass that large would have cracked too; especially without a case. That's a big chunk of glass.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The $70 warranty only extends the manufacturers warranty to 3 years. For spills and drops its an extra $40 plus a $50 deductible for each claim. You would be out $160 to get this fixed through square trade. I'm sure a new screen is cheaper. Extended warranties are usually not a good deal.

Considering a 4" screen and digitizer for my Fascinate will run anywhere from $90-120, I think sourcing a replacement screen for the Tab would probably be a considerable amount more... Might be worth looking into having Samsung replace it

whupps

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

This is incorrect information.

My Squaretrade warranty was $85 for 3 years of extended warranty coverage PLUS the accidental damage insurance. Also, there is no $50 deductible for tablets, it is only for cell phones.

For $85 it's def worth it to me to know that I can and will be able to get this fixed or replaced when/if I break mine.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

My Squaretrade warranty was $85 for 3 years of extended warranty coverage PLUS the accidental damage insurance. Also, there is no $50 deductible for tablets, it is only for cell phones.

For $85 it's def worth it to me to know that I can and will be able to get this fixed or replaced when/if I break mine.

He is correct. Just make sure this drop happens a few weeks later....

Cough.

spikerjack

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If you paid for it with a credit card, you might be insured. Check the card benefits. My card has purchase protection for just such an occurrence.

Damn....why didn't I think of that! I bought the GT 10.1 from Amazon on my Amex Platinum on 6/17 and I do in fact have that kind of accidental damage coverage...never used it, but certainly will try now. Looks like the insurance language would cover this event. I'll report back on that angle.

Thank you very much for the idea/reminder. Really appreciate it. Calling AmEx now...

kisrita

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Wow, awesome tip about Squaretrade, thank you! I didn't take the BB warranty because they wanted some ridiculous $ for it. Squaretrade turned out to be just under $80 for 2 years coverage including accidental drops and spills and including tax, with 25% coupon code wizzard25 (for the 32GB model).
Now I can stop worrying so much about the tablet breaking or me!!!

spikerjack

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
@spikerjack, what was the outcome? did AmEx do you right?

Sorry for the long delay in responding...but felt I need to close the loop here.

AmEx did me WAY right - I had a PDF in my email 16 hours after filing a claim that said I would get a credit for the full purchase of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 right on my AmEx statement. Not only did that happen the next day...but they never asked for any further proof of damage - or for the Galaxy itself!

I am sure this has to do with 21 years of loyalty and $10K/mo in spending (travel expenses, etc.) but I would have never imagined it to be this easy....I really appreciate the advice!

Note: As I stated...I'm sure mileage varies and I wouldn't abuse this priviledge...but its nice to know that protection is there.

P.S. As of 10/2/11 I still can't find ANYBODY that will sell me an OEM replacement digitizer/touch screen part....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Best Buy? I know they do repair...but something like that might just be a replacement unit on their end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe