should i buy another LG next?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear you got a replacement V20. I just set up a new - to - me v20 last night. I set it up as a new device, and updated to Oreo. Took quite a while.

thank you! but i’m having hardware issues so this one might have to go as well. not sure i want to go through another week of loading and tweaking apps again. ??????

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
update:

i called verizon yesterday to complain that my replacement V20 would not quick charge. they're fedexing me a V30 to replace it. from what i can tell the main diff is no removable battery. should i switch? or return the 30 and suffer through slow charging until i get my next phone (possibly a V40)??

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
update:

i called verizon yesterday to complain that my replacement V20 would not quick charge. they're fedexing me a V30 to replace it. from what i can tell the main diff is no removable battery. should i switch? or return the 30 and suffer through slow charging until i get my next phone (possibly a V40)??

I love the V20 so much that I'd personally keep it and deal with the slow charging. Especially if the upgrade is to a V30. The V40 would be a better phone if you can wait it out, but it seems their telephoto camera lens isn't fully under your control. It's like Samsung, only allowing use I bright lighting. So it's not as great as they made it sound.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I love the V20 so much that I'd personally keep it and deal with the slow charging. Especially if the upgrade is to a V30. The V40 would be a better phone if you can wait it out, but it seems their telephoto camera lens isn't fully under your control. It's like Samsung, only allowing use I bright lighting. So it's not as great as they made it sound.

dilemma!

i loved my 1st V20 until 2 out of 3 cameras stopped working. now the replacement doesn't quick charge and there are new software glitches i did not have before:

swiftkey resizes to "smallest" whenever i restart

whenever i hit upload within instagram i get a blank gallery

and other weird annoying quirks. no big deal but the quick charge is really helpful when traveling and forgetting to bring a spare battery.

thanks for the advice. maybe i can try the V30 for a few days before sending the 20 back to VZW.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
dilemma!

i loved my 1st V20 until 2 out of 3 cameras stopped working. now the replacement doesn't quick charge and there are new software glitches i did not have before:

swiftkey resizes to "smallest" whenever i restart

whenever i hit upload within instagram i get a blank gallery

and other weird annoying quirks. no big deal but the quick charge is really helpful when traveling and forgetting to bring a spare battery.

thanks for the advice. maybe i can try the V30 for a few days before sending the 20 back to VZW.
Just curious, have you tried a factory reset?

Edit: I already asked weeks ago. Disregard.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
after receiving some great suggestions in my previous thread 'which LG should i buy next?' my LG V20 took a turn...

first the headphone jack seems to be wearing out after 13 months. i have to twist and turn headphones or adapters (i drive an old car) to get it to work correctly sometimes.

also, and most important. my verizon LG V20 has had a common problem where only the normal rear camera works. that's mostly ok with me. i don't shoot selfies and i rarely use the wide angle camera. but for $800 shouldn't both functions work?

i am calling verizon next to seek a replacement. but i am far more reluctant now to purchase another LG phone. what other brand or model compares?

thank you!!

I love my LG V40... new hardware, better CPU and more powerful camera.. the audio is improved too with BoomBox speaker and upgraded Quad DAC.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I love my LG V40... new hardware, better CPU and more powerful camera.. the audio is improved too with BoomBox speaker and upgraded Quad DAC.

i got my v40 a few days ago. i’m not blown away by it. the v20 was very capable until the cameras died. i can’t imagine ever wanting or needing more than two cameras on a phone. but i’m also not a teen girl constantly taking selfies. i am excited to try the audio DAC but don’t think my headphones are the proper impedence. they werent on my v20. i do love the AOD tho. its new to me not sure if v30s had it. on that note i still have the replacement v30 verizon sent me before i decided to upgrade. maybe i should try that out and consider returning the v40 while that’s still possible.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i got my v40 a few days ago. i’m not blown away by it. the v20 was very capable until the cameras died. i can’t imagine ever wanting or needing more than two cameras on a phone. but i’m also not a teen girl constantly taking selfies. i am excited to try the audio DAC but don’t think my headphones are the proper impedence. they werent on my v20. i do love the AOD tho. its new to me not sure if v30s had it. on that note i still have the replacement v30 verizon sent me before i decided to upgrade. maybe i should try that out and consider returning the v40 while that’s still possible.
My main advice here is more of awareness only.... Don't forget were approaching black Friday and deals galore for phones will be out there.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My main advice here is more of awareness only.... Don't forget were approaching black Friday and deals galore for phones will be out there.

Not everything will be on sale, but it really is the best time of the year to buy stuff because manufactures sell at a lower profit margin, high volume. Some don't even change prices at all but people are in the mood to buy anyways. Any deals would be through the carrier, forcing you to sign up for their service and pay the monthly cost. I highly doubt the UNLOCKED model will see a price drop on Black Friday. Price drop for the unlocked model will drop when the LG G8 comes out and possibly again when the V50 comes out.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I too prefer the design and features of the V20. I got the V40, not exactly blown away because the V20 already set the bar really high, there's not much to be too excited about. The microphone recording has improved by a significant amount (though the V20 STILL has really good mic recording), video recording is much better too with improvements to video quality compared to the average/mediocre V20 video recording quality. The screen is kinda smaller because it's more narrow but the trade-off is that it's easier to use one-handed. The P-OLED screen actually surpassed my expectations.. they fixed the issues that were on the V30 and the awfully calibrated Pixel 2 XL.. the colors look very good, and whites look pretty good (although never whiter than LCD screens). I'd still prefer IPS LCD over OLED and I think the mLCD+ on the G7 looked much better and sharper. Low light was the main reason why I upgraded.. the V20 just struggles so badly in low light, often resulting in blurry or pixelated images... Though, the GCam on the V20 is still stunning and competes with flagships today. The POV of the wide angle on the V20 is still much wider, so it's still useful to carry the V20 around for that ultra wide shot, though I still appreciate the fact that the V40 still has a wide angle lens because I use that a lot. The V40 selfie wide angle POV is smaller but at least it has it still bc I use that a lot too. Other improvements are the haptic feedback is wayyy better on the V40.. the V20 haptics sucked badly.. I've missed calls because the vibration was so weak... also the BoomBox speaker really delivers a much louder and full sound (although I believe the G7 has a better BoomBox speaker sound, probably because the sound chamber is bigger?).. you can also tweak the equalizer so the loudspeaker can sound better and clearer. Overall I'm happy with the V40 and I'm still keeping my V20 and I'm using them both.. the V20 still serves as a remote controller and HiFi music player.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
update:

The V20 will last longer and age better than the V30 (thanks to the LCD screen plus easy user replaceable battery). V30 is very difficult to install a
glass screen protector, if not, impossible. The V20 and V40 are easier to install glass screen protectors. The OLED screen on the V40 fixed the problems the V30 had (mostly color and brightness issues). V30 selfie camera was downgraded from the V20 IMO, looks uglier and POV more narrow.

Did the Oreo update cause issues with Quick Charge? Maybe just get an extra battery and external battery charger and charge it externally.. just pop it in and walk away.. when you come back, the battery is ready to go.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
The V20 will last longer and age better than the V30 (thanks to the LCD screen plus easy user replaceable battery). V30 is very difficult to install a
glass screen protector, if not, impossible. The V20 and V40 are easier to install glass screen protectors. The OLED screen on the V40 fixed the problems the V30 had (mostly color and brightness issues). V30 selfie camera was downgraded from the V20 IMO, looks uglier and POV more narrow.

Did the Oreo update cause issues with Quick Charge? Maybe just get an extra battery and external battery charger and charge it externally.. just pop it in and walk away.. when you come back, the battery is ready to go.

thank you.

i'm not sure what caused the demise of my V20s, but i skipped the V30 and will keep the V40 for now. it's got some minor issues and as i said before i don't love it. but it's just a phone. and i haven't put it through any rigorous (international travel) testing yet. hopefully there will be an update to fix my camera and floating bar 'issues'.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Of the current crop of flagship phones, I'd still sick with LG of you held a gun to my head. But in reality, none of them excite me and are in many ways a downgrade from the V20. If it's not too cost prohibitive, I'd get your V20 fixed and hold on to it.
Last year had to get my LG V20 replaced. Sprint replace with a new phone not refurbished.

Now 11 month later my USB Port fired one night during a charge.

Thankfully I had plenty of batteries and the battery charger.

I'm one month until contract is paid off and can get another phone.

But all the new phones don't allow battery swaps.

My usage is high so my batteries end up not lasting more than a couple of hours. So I have to have a battery on hand or external charger or regular charger.

I'm looking at V40 & Note 9.

I want/need 6gb ram. My phone is too slow because of lack of free memory with only 4gb ram.

And external micro sd card.

I'm not sure they can fix a usb port?

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
there are many threads on the issue on reddit and here. none of their suggested fixes worked. actually the only thing that seems to help is opening up the device and reconnecting or replacing the camera.

basically what happened is the app crashed one day when i tried to go from normal to wide camera. after clearing cache and data and restarting it works again. but you can't get the wide angle to work and the selfie cam causes the same crash.

i have not tried a factory reset. i have had androids for maybe eight years and never found a meaningful way to back up info. whenever i get a new phone i feel like i am mostly starting over at least with half of the apps. i use mac computers and back up my phone to my gmail account. so i think at best its only backing up my contacts some apps and maybe the calendar.

with the headphone jack, i have noticed the problem with my apple earbuds, audio technica headphones and the cassette adapter i used to use in the car. that's a good simple suggestion i haven't tried though. so i will definitely blow some compressed air in there to see if it helps. but i think the device is just crapping out. i expect planned obsolence with phones but not after a year.

mine also has some screen retention but that doesn't bother me too much.

oh but back to the headphone jack @Greedog said the V40 won't have one. is this true?

are there no other great flagship phones? i tried a samsung for a week when i first went android and it felt cheap. does anyone like google motorola HTC anything else??

THANK YOU!!!!!!
V20 has a good enough built-in backup to external sd card

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I want/need 6gb ram. My phone is too slow because of lack of free memory with only 4gb ram....

It's not really a RAM issue that is making it slow. If you do a lot of multitasking or playing higher end games, then you may see longer startup times for them. If apps are running slow during use, that's more an issue of processor and graphics power. I do run into that on occasion with a couple of my games. USB ports can be replaced if you have the right skill and tools. A repair shop may be able to as well, or just send it to LG. I did a quick search and found a listing on Amazon that's about $6 for a pair of USB replacement parts.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Last year had to get my LG V20 replaced. Sprint replace with a new phone not refurbished.

Now 11 month later my USB Port fired one night during a charge.

Thankfully I had plenty of batteries and the battery charger.

I'm one month until contract is paid off and can get another phone.

But all the new phones don't allow battery swaps.

My usage is high so my batteries end up not lasting more than a couple of hours. So I have to have a battery on hand or external charger or regular charger.

I'm looking at V40 & Note 9.

I want/need 6gb ram. My phone is too slow because of lack of free memory with only 4gb ram.

And external micro sd card.

Rob

Don't worry about battery life, the V40 battery is absolutely phenomenal, despite the MYTHS that the battery is so small.. it is actually as good as the Note 9 (despite a fatter and heavier phone) thanks to a handful of optimization.

Also, I noticed the battery life getting BETTER the longer I use it.. seems like Android Oreo learns your usage habits over time and battery saving kicks in. If you use battery saver mode and lower the screen resolution, you can get even better battery life.. but that's not necessary for me.

Smartphone batteries can last a long time, as long as you take care of it (unplug it when it's full, don't let the battery reach hot temperatures, use high quality charging cables, etc.). I have a bunch of old phones laying around, with an iPhone 4 which is like 8 years old but the battery is still phenomenal and is working well. I also have a little tiny LG Optimus that's like 4 years old and I've used it every single day for music.. no battery issues whatsoever.

nickdaman

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I traded in my LG G4 this past sunday for the $300 verizon credit plus the $230 in costco cash cards. I finally couldn't say no I still have my V20 but switched to verizon and left t-mobile finally. So I picked up the Note 9 for $500 after everything so we will see how long this sealed battery lasts since all my other phones have had a removable battery.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Two things...
One: I use a multitude of backup applications but, as stated already, Google already backs up your applications.
Two: I also use a third party launcher that backs up all your main visual settings called Nova Launcher.
And before you ask...
I use GCloud that backs up "EVERYTHING". Whatever you want it or configure it to. It's a paid service but they do have promotions from time to time. I nabbed an "Unlimited" space, "Unlimited" device Lifetime plan for a one-time fee of $39.00.

Worthy of your time to check out. It'll back up your settings, call log, text messages, pictures, videos, music, documents, calendars, browser data, contacts. Everything!
I've been using it for many years now. I have the data from seven different devices stored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz