Should I Get A Nexus 6p or LG G5? Help Me Decide!

DubSixGamer

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Posted this on the LG G5 forums and got no response regarding the LG G5 and Nexus 6p. I have a list of questions below and I fully understand I can probably google a comparison between the the two phones or stream a comparison on YouTube but I want to read a breakdown of people who has experience with both phones and knowledge of them.

1. I am a heavy user of the web browser and apps like tapatalk and YouTube. I don't play much games on the phone. Which phone has a better battery life?

2. From here on out which phone will android support longer in terms of firmware/software support?

3. Which phone feels smoother, faster, responsive and less buggy?

4. Which phone has a better camera?

5. Which phone runs smoother on VR?

DubSixGamer

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
I would say the 6P for your needs.

Can you give me a breakdown and tell me why instead of just telling me to get the 6p lol. I understand this is a Nexus 6p board and there's bound to be a little bias from posters eventually but you didn't even care to answer any of my questions lol

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Posted this on the LG G5 forums and got no response regarding the LG G5 and Nexus 6p. I have a list of questions below and I fully understand I can probably google a comparison between the the two phones or stream a comparison on YouTube but I want to read a breakdown of people who has experience with both phones and knowledge of them.

1. I am a heavy user of the web browser and apps like tapatalk and YouTube. I don't play much games on the phone. Which phone has a better battery life?

2. From here on out which phone will android support longer in terms of firmware/software support?

3. Which phone feels smoother, faster, responsive and less buggy?

4. Which phone has a better camera?

Better camera goes to 6P imo. Less buggy and more responsive would go to 6P as long as you dont live in a hot place where the 6P can throttle, but both are near the same speed, updates ? Well your only going to get android O and all of the updates of O and the security updates quickly without the wait, the G5 will get O and most likely android P but it will take a while but im guessing after over 2 years you will probably upgrade. Better battery life should go to the 6P also, but VR will play way better on the G5, the 6P most likely wont be usable for VR because it doesnt meet thermal requirments for heat

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
1) The 6P will have better battery life... the G5 might have a more efficient chip, but the 6P's battery dwarfs it.

2) Length of support... 6P, pulling away. LG doesn't exactly have a great track record and they can take forever to get things updated. And the 6P has another full year of OS support (meaning you'll get the next major release) and then security patches for another year after that. And if it came to that, the Nexus line has a substantial amount of custom development support... I think there's a Galaxy Nexus running 7.0 somewhere.

3) Having not owned a G5, I can't speak to how well that runs, but my 6P runs extremely well.. in particular on the latest 7.1.1 build. App crashes are few and far between.

4) Now, I know people are enamoured with the wide angle shots from the G5, but the main camera is essentially the same camera that was in the G4... i.e. Really good, but not great. The 6P is superior. Until the Pixel came along, I was fairly confident that the 6P had the best camera, in terms of quality of result, out there. Yes, it might not be as blazing fast as the S7 or have all the fancy controls of something like the V series... but the camera takes incredibly good stills.

5) For VR? I'll pass... VR's not very high on my list of stuff I care about, so I am not the best source. But neither phone is Daydream certified.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you give me a breakdown and tell me why instead of just telling me to get the 6p lol. I understand this is a Nexus 6p board and there's bound to be a little bias from posters eventually but you didn't even care to answer any of my questions lol

I did though -- I read all your requirements and said the 6P would be better .. As in it fits what you want. Latest software, good battery, camera, etc. No bias here -- I don't recommend phones on my agenda. If someone tells me their needs I will give my opinion on which phone fits that. Hence why a lot of my family has iPhones since it fits their needs :).

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
For killer battery life, I would go with the Moto Z Play. I don't think anything tops right now, battery-wise. It also has Moto mods going for it but as a standalone, it's not too shabby for a smooth and fast "Midrange" smartphone at $450 unlocked, and even less on eBay and $408 on Verizon.

Here's a really good review...
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=-PF2gJSd0ZA

lip008

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't get either of these phones unless you're getting a great deal. How did you narrow it down to these two choices? I ask because if you researched the G5 you will find the VR on it....the glasses are different from the competitors....but it doesn't have much software support.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't get either of these phones unless you're getting a great deal. How did you narrow it down to these two choices? I ask because if you researched the G5 you will find the VR on it....the glasses are different from the competitors....but it doesn't have much software support.

That's LG's MO... they try a bunch of stuff but rarely stick to it. The G5's Friends? Yeah, they'll be useless on any future phone. I mean, I give LG props for going out on a limb from time to time, but nothing ever seems to stick.

syedtalha9902

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
the camera is better on the g5 and its smooth as butter for the vr system and the lg g5 would beat the 6p for its specs because of the snapdragon 820 vs the 810 on the 6p but the 6p will get more updates and it will also have a better battery life but for your needs the lg g5 would be the better option

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Based on my usage of the two, the 6P is a little better. But you can switch the battery on the G5 in seconds compared to waiting for the 6P to charge.

2. From here on out which phone will android support longer in terms of firmware/software support? This one is easy, I would say that the 6P will get better support in the long run. Faster more consistent updates.

3. Which phone feels smoother, faster, responsive and less buggy? I feel like the G5 is smoother and faster. But it does have the newer processor and more memory.

4. Which phone has a better camera? I am going to have to say that the G5 has a better camera, IMO.

See my responses above!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick