Simplest way to use Moto X for occasional tethering (AT&T unlimited plan)

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What is currently the best way to get this done? Rooting necessary, or are there USB options that do not require root access? Rooting Android seems like an intimidatingly complicated process (unlike with iOS devices).

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sell at&t version and buy Tmobile unlocked version. Native tethering works on mine no problem and has all at&t bands. Even connects to my microcell!!;)

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

asdrew

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What is currently the best way to get this done? Rooting necessary, or are there USB options that do not require root access? Rooting Android seems like an intimidatingly complicated process (unlike with iOS devices).
My At&T plan includes tethering, no rooting/unlocking or anything else. In settings/wireless & networks select Tethering & portable hotspot and it will check your subscription status and you can set up a hotspot name and password, or you can use Bluetooth or USB tethering.
To give myself fewer steps to take, I installed the WiFI Hotspot OnOff widget: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ros.android.hotspotOnoff&hl=en&token=oRExUmMJ

with other devices (when I didn't have tethering) I used foxfi and PDAnet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781