Sleep tracking on Gear s2...

lolyjoe

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I use Sleep as Android to track my sleep with gear s2, only then you have to instal an additional app "Sleep as Android add on" to your gear s2. You can find this info if you're following the link from the Settings of SaA, if you tick the "i" (info) icon in the upper richt corner, this will bring you to the Website of the developer with all the info about the app and the models of wearables it can work with.
I installed it recently, and it works well. Actually depends... if you're starting tracking from app of your mobile, it connects with the gear and everything works fine. But if I want to start tracking from the add-on app on the gear, it freezes sometimes. But it works OK on some other cases. But I always have to grab my phone if I want to stop tracking, because it just doesn't work from the gear. No, it doesn't freeze or something, it just does not do anything at all. I say more: if I stop tracking on the mobile, I have to abort the tracking on the gear, because in a few seconds it just activates the tracking again...
It's a pain in the... a bit, but at least I don't have to put your mobile next to you in bed for sleep tracking anymore. But I do have to keep the mobile close to me in order to begin and stop the tracking. Well, the gear won't work standalone on the tracking anyway, so you can not do it using the gear only.

I have to admit that it was easier with Gear fit. But it only records the length and the quality of your sleep. Since I started using Sleep as Android app to be able to gather more info, I used both the mobile - with me in bed, and the gear anyway.
You can connect SaA with S Health and all the data about your sleep will be imported there.
It would definitely be easier if Samsung just have installed their own Sleep tracking app on their s2, but if there's no other option, this works for me at least

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It would be nice if samsung implemented a proper native method. HRM included. Sleep as android works for now though. I went from 80% to 35% over night though.

Roozta

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Being doing the same since I need to charge the S2 anyway, and the Gear Fit is lighter and smaller to sleep... Not ideal, but neither is tracking every moment of my sleep...

A quarter into 2016 -- no sign of native integration for S2 sleep tracking... yawnnn... sleepy now...

Blitzen

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
What are you doing for power management? I'm running this setup in Bluetooth-only with all other connections off and the power drains from 100% to dead in 4-5 hours. I get ordinary power usage when SaA is not running.

Watch settings
  • Bluetooth on
  • Wifi off
  • Network off
  • Screen dimmed to lowest
  • Wake up on button press only

Phone settings
  • Bluetooth on
  • Wifi off
  • Network off
  • DnD on

I have 3 days until my return period to vendor runs out. I'd like to solve this by then, otherwise it's going back to the store...

lolyjoe

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Phone (Galaxy s5 mini in a case it's relevant): Airplane mode with Bluetooth on
Watch: DND, Bluetooth on, WiFi off. I also close all the apps there except for SaA.

It only happened once when the Gear went from almost 100% to 20% in one night, usually it takes around 20%. I don't know what the problem can be there in your case. Have you tried that DND on your Gear? You turn it on by sweeping from the top of the screen down , that little "minus" icon in the middle on the bottom of the screen, you know

Posted via the Android Central App

Todd Ebright

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I don't think either product is "half baked." If you look at each independently; Samsung is just gearing different products to different lifestyles. The great fit is centered around everything "fitness" like running, hiking, heart rate, sleep consistency and efficiency, etc. Whereas the Gear s2/s2 classic are geared more towards bundling some cool "health" functionality with communication and entertainment integration for a more general consumer type product. Plus the aesthetics are something to consider too, they designed the s2 to look and feel more like a simple traditional timepiece as opposed to the fit which imo has a more futuristic "computery" feel to it, like it's tapped directly into your CNS lol. Idk just my 2 cents; it just seemed like the logical explanation for the subtle differences between the products.

Way to not be ignorant like the previous post. With any product, do your research and find what you are looking for and want. I bought the S2 for its "Watch" function and step tracker.

veronicaphone951

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I just got the Samsung s7 and the gear s2. I have put my information into the S health and I put both s7 and gear s2 on the chargers when I sleep. in the morning my phone seems to know what hours I have slept. how does it know this? I used to have a fitbit and I would have to wear it at night for it to know my sleep. also I wish the S health could track the sleep a little better like fitbit which used to tell me how I slept and when I was restless and if I woke up during the night. also it tracked all calories burned for the day which the gear s2 doesn't do. does anyone know if there will be an update for these things soon?

1 G T

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I've actually noticed that the Gear S2 and the phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) work simultaneously to record your sleep. But you have to input it manually.
If you take a look at the S Health app on your Gear S2 (I have the Classic Platinum) you'll see that it shows you a time clock of your activity in which it marks the sleep time with a white line, the regular activity with a yellow line, and the vigorous activity with a green line. On your phone, the recorded information might differ, but the information will sync from both devices to come up with the average numbers. Open up the S Health app on your phone, and on the sleep tracker, press the button to manually input the info and automatically, it will pull the data from your Gear S2 and your phone and puts it into your recorded data. Yeah, it sucks it isn't automatic, yet but I'm sure we will get that update soon as long as we demand it. Hope this helped many of you!

alcedes

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Samsung s7 and the gear s2. I have put my information into the S health and I put both s7 and gear s2 on the chargers when I sleep. in the morning my phone seems to know what hours I have slept. how does it know this?

S Health in my Note 5 recently began doing the same thing. I suspect (but don't know) it is inferring your sleep hours from activity on the phone and movement detected by the phones motion sensor. For many people their phone is the last thing they use at night and the first thing they grab when rising from bed.

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
When I first got my S2 I had network enabled even though I hadn't activated a phone number. I was getting a little over 24 hours of use. I managed to get Sleep for Android and the gear companion app before they pulled it. I used it a few times and it was a large battery drain similar to as others have posted. I don't think I'm going to activate a phone number so I turned off mobile networks and seems like I'll be getting closer to 48 hours of use. I'm going to try Sleep for Android again tonight and see if having mobile networks off has any effect on battery usage. I do like that it automatically integrates with S-Health. It is nice to see the more detailed info in the Sleep for Android app like REM, noise/snoring, but not sure how accurate it is or what it really means. I liked the sleep feature on the Gear Fit that showed movement and automatically blocked notifications when you started it and it would be nice if Samsung would bring back a native sleep app that wasn't a large battery drain. I have used my Gear Fit for sleep tracking a few times since getting the S2 but since you can only have 1 connected to the phone at a time it's kind of a hassle to switch, sync, then switch back. I liked 1 G T's comment about entering sleep manually, hadn't realized that was available before, but it didn't seem very accurate at least for me.

Michael Lowrey

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Anyone figured this out yet? I bought mine yesterday but didn't wear it to bed as I had it charging. Had it on today and crashed for about 3 hours but it didn't seem to register on the S health app. From everything I can find (which isn't much) it seems like it does sleep tracking automatically unlike the gear fit which you had to manually enter sleeping mode. Did the automatic sleep tracking work for anyone else?

I've owned gear fit gear s and now gear s2. I too am surprised that the software lacks sleep tracking. One of the nice free features on the other devices and one that did what it was supposed to do. the s2 does have nfc which neither the fit or gear s did. So it seems I've traded one for the other. Again i am really surprised Samsung did this. Hopefully it will be something a update can add back.

Last edited by a moderator:

misschallee

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
sleep tracking is critical, at least to me, because getting the right amount of sleep for was hard to pin down. if i slept to little or too much, once i had the tracker i found my sweet zone and it's made all the difference in my energy levels. plus if i'm tossing and turning so much it's registering as waking up, even though i'm in the sweet zone, now i know and can do something about it.

I can go to the S health app and see the sleep tracking, but why have the s2 watch if i have to do that...makes no sense. I'm going to try the app recommended in a previous post. hope it works!

paradox60660

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my S2 I had network enabled even though I hadn't activated a phone number. I was getting a little over 24 hours of use. I managed to get Sleep for Android and the gear companion app before they pulled it. I used it a few times and it was a large battery drain similar to as others have posted. I don't think I'm going to activate a phone number so I turned off mobile networks and seems like I'll be getting closer to 48 hours of use. I'm going to try Sleep for Android again tonight and see if having mobile networks off has any effect on battery usage. I do like that it automatically integrates with S-Health. It is nice to see the more detailed info in the Sleep for Android app like REM, noise/snoring, but not sure how accurate it is or what it really means. I liked the sleep feature on the Gear Fit that showed movement and automatically blocked notifications when you started it and it would be nice if Samsung would bring back a native sleep app that wasn't a large battery drain. I have used my Gear Fit for sleep tracking a few times since getting the S2 but since you can only have 1 connected to the phone at a time it's kind of a hassle to switch, sync, then switch back. I liked 1 G T's comment about entering sleep manually, hadn't realized that was available before, but it didn't seem very accurate at least for me.
I use my original galaxy gear to track my sleep. It is paired with an old galaxy s3. In the morning the gear records the night sleep in the s health app. I use the s2 for daily wear paired win a note 4. Both have the same s health account and record to it correctly.

Wilbert Thomas

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi. bought my gear S2 one week ago. i have been trying to find the sleep monitor and tracking without any success. will be returning mine today. great failure by samsung. and for the price??

Brent Hazelton

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi. bought my gear S2 one week ago. i have been trying to find the sleep monitor and tracking without any success. will be returning mine today. great failure by samsung. and for the price??

Launched the feature today! Update your watch and it will auto track sleep in S Health now.

Last edited:

syszzi

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
It's off by default on the Gear S2, you have to go into the shealth app on your phone, go down to all the widgets at the bottom of the home screen, click manage items, make sure you are on the trackers tab, sleep is about half way down, enable it. Don't forget to hit the goals tab and select your proper bedtime and wake up time, that's it!!!

neopolotin75

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It's off by default on the Gear S2, you have to go into the shealth app on your phone, go down to all the widgets at the bottom of the home screen, click manage items, make sure you are on the trackers tab, sleep is about half way down, enable it. Don't forget to hit the goals tab and select your proper bedtime and wake up time, that's it!!!
So there's nothing we have to do in the watches end? I've been trying to figure this out for the past hour.....there's not much about it yet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg