So far I've failed to root my Verizon Samsung Fascinate

granttrotter

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody. I've been trying for the past several hours to root my phone. This phone has been on the market for a while and all the instructions I'm finding are at least a year old. I'm wondering if that is part of the problem. I'm using Windows 7.

Here are some specs on the phone:
  • Hardware version: I500.04
  • Model number: SCH-I500
  • Firmware version: 2.3.5
  • Baseband version: S:i500.04 V.EH03
  • Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
  • Build number: SCH-I500.EH03

I've been following the instructions from this forum. I've tried 3 methods:
  • FascinateRoot_v02
  • SuperOneClick
  • z4Root

Here are explanations of what is going wrong with each method:
  • When I try the FascinateRoot_v02 method, things go well up until the end, when I get this error:
    mount: Operation not permitted
    /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/su: read-only file system
    /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/busybox: read-only file syste
    m
    /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/app/Superuser.apk: read-only file
    system
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
    rm failed for /data/local/tmp/rage.bin, No such file or directory
    * Restarting your phone now.
    * Complete
  • When I try the SuperOneClick method, the program just crashes when I click the "Root" button. I've installed the .NET Framework.
  • When I try the z4Root method, it goes through like everything is working, but then when I test to see if I have root access by opening Titanium Backup, I find that it didn't work.

I'm very new to this. My experience consists of one long sitting that came up with no solution. So if anybody has been down this road before and wants to help me along, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Grant

Last edited:

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Agreed - I've found the easiest way to root is to push a rooted custom ROM via Odin. You just have to be VERY CAREFUL to follow instructions to the letter.