So tired of blogs posting rumors about release dates

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems like every couple of weeks a blog (or all) post a rumor from a "good source" about an upcoming phone release or software release that almost never comes true. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the echo chamber begins. I really wish the blogs would stop posting specific dates because they're all talking out their @$$e$. Just venting and even more disappointed that the new skype for android doesn't even offer video calling on my bolt, a feature which my wife's 3G VZW iphone has had for almost half a year. Ugh.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a prediction on when we'll get Skype Video on our Thunderbolts?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a prediction on when we'll get Skype Video on our Thunderbolts?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

My next door neighbor's son's roommate works for a pizza place, and he delivered a pizza to a Verizon mall Kiosk. He over heard the teenage girl working there part time, talking on her trakfone, that all the new stuff for the Thunderbolt should be coming any day now.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Seems like every couple of weeks a blog (or all) post a rumor from a "good source" about an upcoming phone release or software release that almost never comes true. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the echo chamber begins. I really wish the blogs would stop posting specific dates because they're all talking out their @$$e$. Just venting and even more disappointed that the new skype for android doesn't even offer video calling on my bolt, a feature which my wife's 3G VZW iphone has had for almost half a year. Ugh.

As much as this isn't the answer anyone wants to hear, blogs are no less a business than any other company out there. They're trying to pull in their profit. If they ignore a piece of news, they are taking the risk of losing page hits. The more people see "news" on one site but not one the one that they are currently frequenting, they'll start to rely more on the site that is reporting it. And then if a blog passes on a rumor that turns out to actually be true, the site is going to lose credibility as a newsworthy site. The blogs need to report on these rumors for the sake of their business. But that is why the blogs never specifically state that the news is officially confirmed unless it truly is. That's the way the blog business works. And that won't be changing.

My next door neighbor's son's roommate works for a pizza place, and he delivered a pizza to a Verizon mall Kiosk. He over heard the teenage girl working there part time, talking on her trakfone, that all the new stuff for the Thunderbolt should be coming any day now.

You really shouldn't be mocking your sister and her job just because she uses a Tracfone. I tried giving her a Virgin Mobile phone but she said that nothing about her is vi.... ugh. Ok. I'm walking away now...

And before I get any heat, I'm just joking around in good fun to add some energy here. Not being mean. :)

DMXavier

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Please do your homework before posting something that is not true. Skype with video chat has been available for a while on Thunderbolt.

Never let it be said that I chastised someone without giving them a solution.

Skype With Video for HTC ThunderBolt Now Available

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
As much as this isn't the answer anyone wants to hear, blogs are no less a business than any other company out there. They're trying to pull in their profit. If they ignore a piece of news, they are taking the risk of losing page hits. The more people see "news" on one site but not one the one that they are currently frequenting, they'll start to rely more on the site that is reporting it. And then if a blog passes on a rumor that turns out to actually be true, the site is going to lose credibility as a newsworthy site. The blogs need to report on these rumors for the sake of their business. But that is why the blogs never specifically state that the news is officially confirmed unless it truly is. That's the way the blog business works. And that won't be changing.

You really shouldn't be mocking your sister and her job just because she uses a Tracfone. I tried giving her a Virgin Mobile phone but she said that nothing about her is vi.... ugh. Ok. I'm walking away now...

And before I get any heat, I'm just joking around in good fun to add some energy here. Not being mean. :)

This made me laugh good one

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Please do your homework before posting something that is not true. Skype with video chat has been available for a while on Thunderbolt.

Never let it be said that I chastised someone without giving them a solution.

Skype With Video for HTC ThunderBolt Now Available

Sorry but I have to disagree. When an APK has been leaked and/or modified to work and/or not officially released with official compatibility, it is not "available". It can be installed and used, yes. But for something to be "available", it needs to be so for the general consumer through official channels. Not just the small percentage of us who frequent the blogs/forums and go above and beyond the standard methods to find apps we want.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Agreed Ock. Just because it is retrievable from an unofficial, back room source does not mean it is "available". There are those of us who have no desire to root our phones and install custom ROM's. We would prefer to have official releases that at least have some chance of support. Not dinging the intrepid rooters out there, just pointing out that, like investing, there are different levels of acceptable risk exposure by different people.

DMXavier

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed Ock. Just because it is retrievable from an unofficial, back room source does not mean it is "available". There are those of us who have no desire to root our phones and install custom ROM's. We would prefer to have official releases that at least have some chance of support. Not dinging the intrepid rooters out there, just pointing out that, like investing, there are different levels of acceptable risk exposure by different people.

a?vail?a?ble   
[uh-vey-luh-buhl]
?adjective
suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.

Seems pretty AVAILABLE to me.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
a?vail?a?ble   
[uh-vey-luh-buhl]
?adjective
suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.

Seems pretty AVAILABLE to me.

To ~90% of Thunderbolt users, the Skype with Video app is not available to them because it is not either in the Android Marketplace or Amazon App Store. Not everyone goes and visits XDA or Android Central to find this information. I'm rocking that leaked app on my T-Bolt, but it is buggy as hell. It's definitely not ready for prime time. Sometimes, I feel like the Android "experts" tend to be a little smug about things instead of thinking about the bigger picture.

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
www.insidenathanshead.com

Just an observation, there is far better support for the custom ROM's built by the Dev's than there is for the stock phone from VZW/HTC. My rooted phone running Gingeritis 3D runs so much better than my phone did stock. Far better battery life, so much smoother, lots of new Sense 3.0 features and best of all, we are all in direct contact with the developer, not just some high school drop out answering phones and punching keys on a computer what spits out predetermined responses to attempt to hold you over.

Thats not to say rooting is for everyone. Its just to comment on the support part of it. If you want good honest thorough support, just on the rooted side of things. You will be very happy with the support and your phone. :cool:

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Just an observation, there is far better support for the custom ROM's built by the Dev's than there is for the stock phone from VZW/HTC. My rooted phone running Gingeritis 3D runs so much better than my phone did stock. Far better battery life, so much smoother, lots of new Sense 3.0 features and best of all, we are all in direct contact with the developer, not just some high school drop out answering phones and punching keys on a computer what spits out predetermined responses to attempt to hold you over.

Thats not to say rooting is for everyone. Its just to comment on the support part of it. If you want good honest thorough support, just on the rooted side of things. You will be very happy with the support and your phone. :cool:

I will pre-face my reply by saying that I agree with your point about support from the dev community being much better.

BUT, that does not give any justification to your reasoning which was in response to the posts before it. We, meaning the "experts", dev community, and enthusiasts, do not represent the majority nor even a huge chunk. We are the minority. Solutions need to be provided that satisfy the general consumer. Not the minority of "experts".

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
www.insidenathanshead.com
I will pre-face my reply by saying that I agree with your point about support from the dev community being much better.

BUT, that does not give any justification to your reasoning which was in response to the posts before it. We, meaning the "experts", dev community, and enthusiasts, do not represent the majority nor even a huge chunk. We are the minority. Solutions need to be provided that satisfy the general consumer. Not the minority of "experts".

I completely agree that VZW/HTC needs to get on it and the support should be provided by them. I was simply responding to the posters statement that they were worried about rooting because they wanted something they could get support with. And in that regard, the support offered by the Dev's on forums such as this and XDA is far superior than any your ever going to get from VZW/HTC. Therefore, rooting would also bring with it better support.

Yes though, VZW/HTC and any other phone for that matter should take note of the support and work that the custom ROM Dev's provide and learn something from them because every person that purchases a device from them, should have at least close to that level of dedication!

DMXavier

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
To ~90% of Thunderbolt users, the Skype with Video app is not available to them because it is not either in the Android Marketplace or Amazon App Store. Not everyone goes and visits XDA or Android Central to find this information. I'm rocking that leaked app on my T-Bolt, but it is buggy as hell. It's definitely not ready for prime time. Sometimes, I feel like the Android "experts" tend to be a little smug about things instead of thinking about the bigger picture.

Thanks for considering me an expert but I have only been using an android device since this phone came out. I firmly believe that if you want something to work a certain way then either look for it or install it yourself. For example Teamviewer is not in either appstore but is readily available on the Teamviewer website. People should stop waiting for things to be handed to them and start being more pro-active. Secondly as with all other Thunderbolt users I am having the same reboot issue and don't wish to root my device to get GB. I suggest we file a class action suit due to the fact that neither HTC nor verizon has provided an adequate solution. Mobile devices are every day tools, either fix it in a timely fashion or roll back the software.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for considering me an expert but I have only been using an android device since this phone came out. I firmly believe that if you want something to work a certain way then either look for it or install it yourself. For example Teamviewer is not in either appstore but is readily available on the Teamviewer website. People should stop waiting for things to be handed to them and start being more pro-active. Secondly as with all other Thunderbolt users I am having the same reboot issue and don't wish to root my device to get GB. I suggest we file a class action suit due to the fact that neither HTC nor verizon has provided an adequate solution. Mobile devices are every day tools, either fix it in a timely fashion or roll back the software.

That puts you into the "enthusiast" category that I mentioned. Still part of the minority. The majority are people that walk into their local Verizon store, by a phone because they like it, and use it how it comes and don't even think that maybe what they want is out there in a leaked version. Those are the majority and those are the ones that the carrier need to cater to whether we like it or not. That majority couldn't give a crap if their phone is running Android 2.2 or Android 2.3. If an update comes, they'll install it when prompted. Until then, they don't even know one is coming. Just because we're a bit impatient compared to the majority doesn't mean that they'll cater to us.

And to everyone reading this, don't try the whole "well the general consumer doesn't buy a phone like the Thunderbolt!!" because that's extremely wrong.

Reactions: MegaSoundwave76

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That puts you into the "enthusiast" category that I mentioned. Still part of the minority. The majority are people that walk into their local Verizon store, by a phone because they like it, and use it how it comes and don't even think that maybe what they want is out there in a leaked version. Those are the majority and those are the ones that the carrier need to cater to whether we like it or not. That majority couldn't give a crap if their phone is running Android 2.2 or Android 2.3. If an update comes, they'll install it when prompted. Until then, they don't even know one is coming. Just because we're a bit impatient compared to the majority doesn't mean that they'll cater to us.

And to everyone reading this, don't try the whole "well the general consumer doesn't buy a phone like the Thunderbolt!!" because that's extremely wrong.

I completely agree with you. However, I think this is changing. The emergence of a group of people that do not know too much about Android and techy stuff, but want the latest update is becoming more prevalent. When you have apps that are restricted to devices running 2.2 or 2.3, these people are going to wonder why they don't have that update and question Verizon/HTC. That's how I started about a year ago. They probably won't care about the update for the under-the-hood enhancements or small visual tweaks; they will want an app that requires the newest version of Android. That's my take on it.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

My sister is a 66 year old grandmother - everyone knows she's not a virgin.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid