software uprade not coming till may

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
jeez guys. are you really going to give the guy for leaking information? it's fine if you don't believe him, but there is no reason to attack him or push for evidence that could hurt his job.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

You apparently have no idea whatsoever how Nexus devices work.

It's not like this is the first update they have made. Assuming it is 4.0.5 then it could very well be the 3rd update they have done to support the device and Verizon is what is holding it up and making us wait for 3 revisions later. Yes it is a Nexus device and they have historically gotten updates faster than other phones out there... but it is the first Nexus device on Verizon! When I had my Palm Pre+ it was the last carrier to release any updates for it, I think it was literally a month or more to get the same update that other carriers got. I don't think Verizon looks at this phone as any different than any other phone they sell, so they take their sweet time reviewing and reviewing and reviewing. Basically Verizon is giving the Nexus name a bad rep. Google could release 2 updates per month and we'd never see them OTA.

Reactions: axne1

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That may be fine for you... and it is just "meh, ok" for me since I don't think I should have to resort to such measures but still have... BUT what about people that are not techie at all... I guess you think they are trolls or complainers unless they are willing to take a chance on screwing up their phone? Or even more simple... what about they just SHOULDN'T HAVE TO? They bought a phone... not a hobby!

Not everyone is cool with rooting nor should they have to be and they DEFINITELY should not have to be putting up with 4.0.2 which is a useless POS.

Not everyone is as cool as you are... and just another simple reason for not rooting is why should people have to wipe all their data and setup effort they have put into their tool/work device/phone? Verizon is lagging big time... even their employees think so and not just the OP. I have been with them for 10 years... i700, i730, xv6800, DINC and now the GNEX and this time around they put out a phone THAT WAS NOT READY to do what they promised nor have they backed it up with new firmware in even close to a timely fashion.... don't bother with google or samsung this or that, even though they may share the blame THEY did not sell us the phone and THEY are not responsible for supporting it.

OR... put it this way...

lighten up dude

Lmao... Last sentence redefines irony :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
That may be fine for you... and it is just "meh, ok" for me since I don't think I should have to resort to such measures but still have... BUT what about people that are not techie at all... I guess you think they are trolls or complainers unless they are willing to take a chance on screwing up their phone? Or even more simple... what about they just SHOULDN'T HAVE TO? They bought a phone... not a hobby!

Not everyone is cool with rooting nor should they have to be and they DEFINITELY should not have to be putting up with 4.0.2 which is a useless POS.

Not everyone is as cool as you are... and just another simple reason for not rooting is why should people have to wipe all their data and setup effort they have put into their tool/work device/phone? Verizon is lagging big time... even their employees think so and not just the OP. I have been with them for 10 years... i700, i730, xv6800, DINC and now the GNEX and this time around they put out a phone THAT WAS NOT READY to do what they promised nor have they backed it up with new firmware in even close to a timely fashion.... don't bother with google or samsung this or that, even though they may share the blame THEY did not sell us the phone and THEY are not responsible for supporting it.

OR... put it this way...

lighten up dude

I must say, your right. Although rooting is cool to know how to do, people saying that people NEED to know how to root to have their phone work right is stupid. Your phone should work right out the box as intended. Rooting is a hobby and just extra control and or extra customization. Doesn't mean Verizon Samsung or Google should just forget about the phone cuz people SHOULD know how to root.

From the best android phone PERIOD. Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I must say, your right. Although rooting is cool to know how to do, people saying that people NEED to know how to root to have their phone work right is stupid. Your phone should work right out the box as intended. Rooting is a hobby and just control and or extra customization. Doesn't mean Verizon Samsung or Google should just forget about the phone cuz people SHOULD know hoe to root.

I am not saying anyone NEEDs to know how to root to enjoy their phone.. I'm saying if they are going to complain about having to wait for an update, then they need to consider it. Verizon, Samsung, and Google have not, in any way, forgotten about the phone. Verizon is testing the update for approval. As a large telecommunications company, they have extremely high expectations as well as legal / FCC requirements on the amount of testing they have to do before they can push an update.

In the grand scheme of things you aren't waiting THAT long for the update you will eventually get.... and as has been reiterated in every one of these threads.. The nexus device is intended to be the first to receive updates... You were never promised anything about how frequently they would be coming... or if you were, it was by some guy in the forums and not by a credible source.

I'm sorry if the phone in its current state is so unusable for you, but at the same time, consider that at least part of the fault is perhaps with you for investing so much in a piece of technology without being sure it would perform as you want it to. A TON of people here got the nexus because they wanted ICS and bragging rights, lol.... while the smart thing to do would have been to wait until the phone is released, do your research, go play with it in the store a while, etc... be sure that this is the phone you want and realize it might be a couple months until the software is updated. But the MAJORITY of users do not do their homework and then complain when their purchases aren't perfect. I do research on every technological device I buy, be it a new phone, laptop, HDTV, car, etc.... and I am quite satisfied with my experiences with everything I own.

Kind of went all over the place there.. LOL.. but points were made I think. :)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I flashed bamf today, and while I like the increased speed due to overclocking, I am disappointed that the javascript issue wasn't addressed, which was my main reason for wanting an update.

I was told it was fixed in gummynex which means it's definitely a software problem.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I flashed bamf today, and while I like the increased speed due to overclocking, I am disappointed that the javascript issue wasn't addressed, which was my main reason for wanting an update.

I was told it was fixed in gummynex which means it's definitely a software problem.

Bamf paradigm 1.0 was fairly unimpressive. Gummy is a good one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Bamf paradigm 1.0 was fairly unimpressive. Gummy is a good one.

Some are reporting that gummy is locking up for no apparent reason.

The javascript problem was addressed, just not completely.
On Stock ICS you can't select a background image on the google home page from the Nexus, and if you select the image on the PC then use the Nexus browser, the search bar is hidden by the image an the google tabs across the top won't show.

I can't select an image from the Nexus using bamf, but I selected it on the PC and it behaves as expected on the Nexus, so at least I have that.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Some are reporting that gummy is locking up for no apparent reason.

The javascript problem was addressed, just not completely.
On Stock ICS you can't select a background image on the google home page from the Nexus, and if you select the image on the PC then use the Nexus browser, the search bar is hidden by the image an the google tabs across the top won't show.

I can't select an image from the Nexus using bamf, but I selected it on the PC and it behaves as expected on the Nexus, so at least I have that.

Have you tried Chrome? I always use my usb and place wallpapers manually on my faux sdcard.

And because I hate cropping, I go to gallery and force the wallpapers with Flikie.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Chrome? I always use my usb and place wallpapers manually on my faux sdcard.

And because I hate cropping, I go to gallery and force the wallpapers with Flikie.

I wasn't talking about wallpapers, I'm talking about google image backgrounds.

If you go to google.com and log in, on the lower left there is a "change background image" tab.
You can set any image you choose to display on google's homepage.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I am not saying anyone NEEDs to know how to root to enjoy their phone.. I'm saying if they are going to complain about having to wait for an update, then they need to consider it. Verizon, Samsung, and Google have not, in any way, forgotten about the phone. Verizon is testing the update for approval. As a large telecommunications company, they have extremely high expectations as well as legal / FCC requirements on the amount of testing they have to do before they can push an update.

In the grand scheme of things you aren't waiting THAT long for the update you will eventually get.... and as has been reiterated in every one of these threads.. The nexus device is intended to be the first to receive updates... You were never promised anything about how frequently they would be coming... or if you were, it was by some guy in the forums and not by a credible source.

I'm sorry if the phone in its current state is so unusable for you, but at the same time, consider that at least part of the fault is perhaps with you for investing so much in a piece of technology without being sure it would perform as you want it to. A TON of people here got the nexus because they wanted ICS and bragging rights, lol.... while the smart thing to do would have been to wait until the phone is released, do your research, go play with it in the store a while, etc... be sure that this is the phone you want and realize it might be a couple months until the software is updated. But the MAJORITY of users do not do their homework and then complain when their purchases aren't perfect. I do research on every technological device I buy, be it a new phone, laptop, HDTV, car, etc.... and I am quite satisfied with my experiences with everything I own.

Kind of went all over the place there.. LOL.. but points were made I think. :)

Truthfully I just don't believe the nexus is Verizon's priority. I mean they botched the release for one. I mean think about it, they have to do the same amount of testing for the razor but the razor has recvd updates already and ics is on the verge. Some people don't want to consider rooting because you can mess up you phone. Some people are complaining because their phone is performing like crap. I have been lucky with mine as far as not having tons of problems but I'm not going to discount all those who do have problems. I've been experiencing signal problems lately all of a sudden now as well. Which I think is the reason why my battery life has gotten worse.

For the signal issues to be as bad as they are I think it kinda has been a long time. Which is why I said I don't think its a priority to Verizon. If its a company's baby they get on it. Like my first Gen Evo.. Sprint did not play with updates and it looks as if that's how Verizon feels about the Razr. Your right they never promised that the nexus the nexus would get the most frequent updates but I never said that at all. I'm just saying it has some major issues to some and the answer to the problem should Not be rooting.

Now you say that its partially our fault for investing in a piece of technology but that's not the truth. When u buy something you expect it to work as intended. I never asked it to print money but I do expect it to make calls and I should be able to browse the web. We paid for a top of the line device. Not like we bought a free phone and expected it to work wonders. I did buy the phone for ics because it was the first version of vanilla android that I didn't think looked like crap. But that doesn't mean they can just crap out on everything else. I research things I buy but when you buy on release day its not all that much you can research.

Last edited:

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem with that thinking is that you're assuming the people who haven't done it don't know how to do it.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who know how (like me), but have chosen not to do so, at least not yet.

Why?????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The time it takes for people to complain on these threads......... They could already been rooted by now and enjoying the nexus. Sorry its true. I do realize that it could be a problem for some people, so I do get that. But if you cannot return your phone because your past the 14 day trial, then you minus well use the g nex toolkit
And get it over with. Aokp b30 &Franco kernel M2 should help out a lot untill an official update comes. Hopefully some of you will be inspired enough, or tired of vwz BS to unlock and root. It's the only option right now besides complaining.

Reactions: 2defmouze

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Why?????

I just didn't want to try a different ROM. I read a lot about them, I've read both success and horror stories. I've read of some ROMs having many bugs and my phone is fine with the exception of the JavaScript issue and didn't want to introduce new problems.

I have since that post installed BAMF Paradigm. The JavaScript issue is fixed, it's faster because it's overclocked (not that it needed more speed), it has 360 rotation, a soft search button, the battery icon shows the percentage, the lock delay actually works, and it separated the ringer and notification volumes.
I have to say I'm happy with it.
No bugs that I have noticed, no hangs or reboots.

Last edited:
Reactions: axne1

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Truthfully I just don't believe the nexus is Verizon's priority. I mean they botched the release for one. I mean think about it, they have to do the same amount of testing for the razor but the razor has recvd updates already and ics is on the verge. Some people don't want to consider rooting because you can mess up you phone. Some people are complaining because their phone is performing like crap. I have been lucky with mine as far as not having tons of problems but I'm not going to discount all those who do have problems. I've been experiencing signal problems lately all of a sudden now as well. Which I think is the reason why my battery life has gotten worse.

For the signal issues to be as bad as they are I think it kinda has been a long time. Which is why I said I don't think its a priority to Verizon. If its a company's baby they get on it. Like my first Gen Evo.. Sprint did not play with updates and it looks as if that's how Verizon feels about the Razr. Your right they never promised that the nexus the nexus would get the most frequent updates but I never said that at all. I'm just saying it has some major issues to some and the answer to the problem should Not be rooting.

Now you say that its partially our fault for investing in a piece of technology but that's not the truth. When u buy something you expect it to work as intended. I never asked it to print money but I do expect it to make calls and I should be able to browse the web. We paid for a top of the line device. Not like we bought a free phone and expected it to work wonders. I did buy the phone for ics because it was the first version of vanilla android that I didn't think looked like crap. But that doesn't mean they can just crap out on everything else. I research things I buy but when you buy on release day its not all that much you can research.

I respectfully disagree with the whole "expecting something to work as it should out of the box" sentence. Anybody who's done aNY type of research on any piece of computerised technology will tell you there are good devices and there are faulty/bad devices. That's the way it is with tech. Heck that's the way it is with many different things in this world. you get a chance to test the device in the store for a reason. You get a 14 day return policy for a reason. If you don't AT LEAST legitimately test out your new phone in the store before you buy it and then again in the two weeks after you buy it you deserve whatever you get in the long haul.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: axne1 and 2defmouze

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I respectfully disagree with the whole "expecting something to work as it should out of the box" sentence. Anybody who's done aNY type of research on any piece of computerised technology will tell you there are good devices and there are faulty/bad devices. That's the way it is with tech. Heck that's the way it is with many different things in this world. you get a chance to test the device in the store for a reason. You get a 14 day return policy for a reason. If you don't AT LEAST legitimately test out your new phone in the store before you buy it and then again in the two weeks after you buy it you deserve whatever you get in the long haul.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

So let me get this right. We should not expect our phones to be able to hold a signal out the box. It is a 300 dollar phone for god sake. If i buy a damn x box i expect it to play the damn games i buy. Thats its basic function. 14 days is also not very long to thoroughly test anything. I've actually been one to say I've had no problems at one point, check my post history. But as of late my phone is dying crazy fast and I can't hold a 4g signal. Phone deleted all my pics. How was I going to know that would happen in a 14 day window. Smh there are faulty devices but when some people exchange 3 times and they all have the same issues then its a lil more then that. Lucky my phone isn't that bad. I do feel like they should be working diligently to fix the signal issues because that's the most important thing. Other then that my phone works pretty good but my whole point was telling people to root isn't the answer.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this right. We should not expect our phones to be able to hold a signal out the box. It is a 300 dollar phone for god sake. 14 days is also not very long to thoroughly test anything. I've actually been one to say I've had no problems check my post history. But as of late my phone is dying crazy fast and I can't hold a 4g signal. Phone deleted all my pics. How was I going to know that would happen in a 14 day window. Smh

You don't find sudden degradations odd? That's not indicative of the phone per se but your own device.

And lest we split hairs, the phone holds a signal. Occasionally it does not do it well, but it does do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny