[Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge

ameme

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

Worked on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Thank you very much. I was close to freaking out!

Hariharan Visha

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you loads for the help!
well i had the similar kind of experience I was heading back home from work and had a completely drained battery. Because of some of my previous experiences i thought that connecting the phone to the USB music player would have at least charged the phone up. Well to my surprise noting like that was close to happening. I came home to the sight of the phone being dead and blank even after plugging it into the normal charger socket.

After a lot of efforts I finally gave up hope and was preparing a journey to the lg customer care here down in Mumbai. (P.S:- LG's customer service in India sucks balls, big time). So i thought before bailing out i take to the web, where to my rescue came this article. Thank you so much for this article.

Thanking you,
Hariharan Visha

DeusDexMachina

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you SO much! I was sure that my Nexus had become a very expensive paperweight after it refused to turn on OR charge after quite literally being perfectly functional at bedtime. I didn't know what to do - I'd tried all sorts of remedies I'd come across on YouTube or Google, but nothing worked. Finally, I found this thread and skeptically (sorry) followed your instructions. It took several tries; I was literally doing what I'd determined was going to be my very last try, and all of a sudden, the LED came to life! I was positively astounded. Thank you so much!

Tomer Noyhouzer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for this info. I tried it with the case ( because I am lazy), I had the same effect like another user here: The red led blinked and then the charging Icon appeared. No it is charging and I hope it will e fine (looks like it) so thank you for saving me time, money an a lot of frustrations.

sheepy_sheepy

May 28, 2014
Visit site
i have tried doing the volum down + power trick many times with different combination, both on wall socket and computer, with different cables, but still no luck, the red light remains flashing. so my final try was to open the case to disconnect and reconnect the battery and that dind't work either!!!! does anyone know how else i could fix it??

i ddin't actually take the battery out cos it was quite firmly stuck, i just unscrew and disconnect the little plate and remove the wifi thing and blue sticker and put them back on, i think that should be fine right? and i realised as i was taking the battery out, the battery starting changing its shape and i was afraid i will break it. is that normal? its not a really firm and hard battery. thanks!!

To anybody who can't get their N4 to power up using the suggested method in this thread.

If you remove the back cover and disconnect and then reconnect the battery your N4 should spring back to life.
The tools required are a T5 Torx screwdriver
BRAND NEW TORX T5 SCREWDRIVER 6500C LCD FASCIA OPENER | eBay
also a small philips head screwdriver that you can find in a set of jewellers screwdrivers.
11pce Precision Screwdriver Micro Mini Set Laptop Mobile Glasses Jewellers Watch | eBay

Its simple and straightforward to do...the plastic cover comes of with a little gentle persuasion.
I have just completed the process after having a completely dead phone and it worked 100% for me.
Worth a try if you're tired of holding buttons down for hours on end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJi3kIy8gU

This video will help

rudy117

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

My N4 seems to be quite stubborn. I have tried all the tricks mentioned above but it still will not charge.

I have left it on charge for days on end and still no battery charging icon.
Also, when I do the volume down + power button trick the bootloader will flash up but before I get a chance to select an option it with go the the "Google" screen for maybe 1-2 secs then power down again.

I have already replaced the battery because I thought it may be faulty.

Any ideas or other suggestions for things to try?

Many thanks

Liam Brown

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Brilliant,

i had to hold the buttons (volume down and power) for around 15 seconds then plug the charging lead in to get a flashing LED.
After that i released the buttons and the flashing stopped. I then reapplied the buttons and got back to the boot menu.

saltyjet

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing the problem in the post. What I see is:

1. Blank screen, no red flashing light
2. plug in power cable, flashing light
3. plug in usb computer cable, flashing light
4. hold power/vol down flashing light 10 sec then quicker flashing light 5 sec then recovery screen after releasing buttons immediately and REBOOT RECOVERY option comes up in the indicator box at top, then back to black with flashing light
5. plug in power cable, hold down vol down and power until lightly vibrating then release and try power button to start device, charging symbol then black screen with flashing red light.

currently phone plugged in to wait a few minutes and try all this again.

#maddening

NoelleSilvia

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure my phone is drained because I hear notifications as usual, there is just no display. But when I try this method, the light blinks red... Tried holding it for up to a minute but it just keeps blinking. Then when I release, it stops.

limegreens

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Many thanks, the trick worked for me!

My french Nexus 4 was shut down and plugged in before sleep, at about 25% battery. This morning, it was the same issue as everyone: Nexus 4 not powering on and no charging icon. Holding power 60sec while unplugged, then pluging in the cable showed the red light. Holding again the power button showed it charging and revealed that the battery was drained overnight!

This post above is what worked for me! Thank you so much. I tried every combo with volume down + power hold then plugging but nothing works. I was thinking of going to the service center to check the cable port, see if there's some wires broken but I'm worried about the costs as this Nexus phone is not very popular in my country.

Pressing the power button atleast 60 secs until the red notification lights up and then plugging in the cable then pressing power again, voila! the charging icon is back and phone is alive!!

;)

This phone is giving me problems ever since and it's about time to change and switch back to Samsung 'cause it has better camera, audio and BATTERY LIFE. What they put in Nexus is a fast vanilla OS but substandard hardware! I have KITKAT but I can't make screen-mirroring work with my TV just because it's not compatible with Android's latest flavor yet. This is the last of the problems and I'm going to switch very soon.

Last edited:

Azrooo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

I just came to say thank you :)
It worked! In the morning I was looking for my warranty and thinking about how to get to abroad, because I bought it in another country. I think in my whole country has cca 100 nexsus users and no official service...

thank you, thank you, thank you :)

Alicia Beepatt

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! i tried everything thing else and nothing work. i followed your method and now the red light is gone. gave it a good bang or 3 lol.... i am having the exact same problems that you are having with the phone. Maybe its just time for an upgrade :/

Michelle Keating1

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 4 wouldn't turn on or charge today, but I was able to figure out the problem after doing a few quick Google searches. I'm posting this information in case someone else has a similar problem.

Apparently my Nexus 4 was running low on power, so it went into a deep hibernation mode. I thought I could simply charge it, but instead of seeing a charging icon, my screen was completely blank and unresponsive. Pressing the power button didn't do anything, and I was worried that I bricked my phone somehow. I then performed the following actions:

1. Remove the case off the Nexus 4. (Edit: If you don't have a case or bumper on your Nexus 4, you can ignore this step.)
2. Hold down the power and volume down buttons.
3. Insert the USB charging cable into the Nexus 4 while continuing to hold down the power and volume down buttons.

After a few seconds, the screen displayed a green android and a menu of options. Using the volume up and down buttons, I selected the option to Start, then I pressed the power button to confirm my selection. My Nexus 4 then displayed my home screen. I was then able to charge it normally.

By the way, I originally tried this procedure with the case on my Nexus 4, but somehow the case was preventing the buttons from waking up my phone. Removing the case made it easier to press and hold down the buttons to wake up my Nexus 4.

February 14, 2014 Addendum:

Parris from Epic Reviews has a YouTube video that essentially shows the steps that I followed. The difference in my procedure is that I didn't have to do a complete phone wipe. I just selected the option to Start. However, if you can't get your phone to work at all, you may want to consider a total factory reset (which will erase the contents of your phone).

You should start viewing his video at the 2:40 mark:

Google Nexus 4 how to reset phone

Thank you so much. I thought my phone was never going to work again. This worked well for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel Saldarriaga

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
hi, I have done everything you said to do. I do not know whats wrong with it. when I hold power plus volume down button, the red light appears, right? however, as soon as I remove my fingers from the buttons, the light disappears and nothing happens. is there anything you can tell me to fix it? also, I cannot access the force reboot because of this.

verifods

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It is exactly the same as e tried everything described in this post (60 seconds with power also too low volume + power and still nothing), (60 seconds, 15 seconds too low volume + power then connect current) and alone with LED that flashes is the only way to flash the LED doing that, also try leaving low volume down + power for 40 min loading wall and described it as a user of the post and still nothing. it can be, please help.