[SOLVED] Samsung S6 can't connect to public WiFi

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi all.
hoping you can help me solve this issue as so far nobody seems to know how to.

Up until the beginning of June I had no issues at all, however now if I try to log onto a public WiFi network, I'm unable to load the verification page. Instead I get the message I've posted a screenshot of.

I've sent the phone back to Tesco twice but it seems there's nothing actually wrong with it.

I can connect to the verification pages if my phone is factory reset and before I backup any data, however once backed up it won't connect!

Samsung have suggested taking it to one of their service centres for a software reflash, but as this would involve a 50 mile round trip, I thought I'd check here for suggestions first.

I'll try to answer any questions as best as I can, but I'm not particularly tech literate

TIA,

M x
67df16322a69385699206cd6095f60a7.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung S6 can't connect to public WiFi

Welcome to the forums. It seems you tried the login from the notification (WiFi icon with interrogation mark), right? Do you get the same problem if try to access the verification screen from Chrome and Internet browsers?

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Hi Javier,

I've tried setting the default browser to different ones ie Chrome, Firefox and Samsung Internet, but none of them work. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but does the screenshot I've posted indicate that connection is being made by a different route?

M x

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Javier,

I've tried setting the default browser to different ones ie Chrome, Firefox and Samsung Internet, but none of them work. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but does the screenshot I've posted indicate that connection is being made by a different route?

M x
There are two different ways to access that login screen. One is from the notification you get after joining a WiFi network with that kind login. This open a mini browser where you enter the credentials (user/password). The other one is if you open a browser and try to load any page and then you get the login screen. I think you're using the first way.

This kind of issue are usually related to some problem with the CaptivePortalLogin (the system app that handles these splash screens) or with the System Web View.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

You said that it works right after a factory reset and stops after the system restore your apps/settings. Maybe there's an app causing a conflict or some old credentials (stored on Chrome) that are causing the problem. Try this, open Chrome - three dots top right - settings - see if sync is on or off first thing on that screen.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

If you don't mind losing any password, bookmark or similar included in Chrome you could try this. Open Chrome and make sure that sync is off and then sign out. Then go to settings - apps - select Chrome - storage - clear cache - clear all data. Restart your phone and see if the login problem persists.

This will clear any bug or old credentials in the System Web view, included in Chrome.

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Thanks for all your help.
Chrome is syncing to my Gmail address. I'll try clearing everything as you've suggested, but it'll be tomorrow now before I can check if it's worked.

M x

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all your help.
Chrome is syncing to my Gmail address. I'll try clearing everything as you've suggested, but it'll be tomorrow now before I can check if it's worked.

M x
Ok. Let me know when you can check if it works. Better if you quote one of my posts so I'll get a notification on my phone. You can leave the clearing for later, right before trying to join that WiFi network.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Also, check your wifi settings to see if you have any wifi connection there with the same name as the public wifi you're trying to connect to. (Some people don't know what they're doing, so if they're using a Linksys router to set up the public wifi, they leave the name as linksys. If you've previously logged into a router named linksys, and it needed a password, the phone will be trying to log in with that password [which won't work]. The only way the phone [or any device] can distinguish between networks is by the name the router sends out. So if you already have a connection to a router with that name, Forget the connection to it.)

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Also, check your wifi settings to see if you have any wifi connection there with the same name as the public wifi you're trying to connect to. (Some people don't know what they're doing, so if they're using a Linksys router to set up the public wifi, they leave the name as linksys. If you've previously logged into a router named linksys, and it needed a password, the phone will be trying to log in with that password [which won't work]. The only way the phone [or any device] can distinguish between networks is by the name the router sends out. So if you already have a connection to a router with that name, Forget the connection to it.)
Not this unfortunately, but thanks for taking the time to reply

M x

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Ok. Let me know when you can check if it works. Better if you quote one of my posts so I'll get a notification on my phone. You can leave the clearing for later, right before trying to join that WiFi network.
I've cleared the cache and all data, restarted my phone and it still won't load any public WiFi sign in pages

M x

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've cleared the cache and all data, restarted my phone and it still won't load any public WiFi sign in pages

M x
Sorry for the delay, I had a very busy day :) I would try a few more things.

- Go to settings - apps - show system (more/three dots top right) - scroll down and select CaptivePortalLogin - clear data. This will delete any old credentials that you used on that kind of login screens.

- After Nougat the System Webview is included in Chrome and for some people with a similar issue the fix was restoring the old app. To do this, go to settings - apps - select Chrome and disable it. You'll get some warning messages, don't worry, you'll be able to restore Chrome again when this problem is fixed.

Now, to confirm that everything is ok open the Play Store, tap on the search icon (magnifying glass) top right, type 'Android System WebView', make sure it's enabled and update to the latest version if the 'Update' button is available.

- Restart your phone and see if you get the login screen next time you join the public network. Try the different ways I commented before (from the notification and opening any site from different browsers).

If you are still getting the same error it's time to check if there's a conflict with another app that you downloaded. Boot in safe mode to temporarily disable any third party app and try the login again. Search for the right steps in how to do this on your specific model and carrier.

Let's see how it goes.

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

- Go to settings - apps - show system (more/three dots top right) - scroll down and select CaptivePortalLogin - clear data. This will delete any old credentials that you used on that kind of login screens.

- After Nougat the System Webview is included in Chrome and for some people with a similar issue the fix was restoring the old app. To do this, go to settings - apps - select Chrome and disable it. You'll get some warning messages, don't worry, you'll be able to restore Chrome again when this problem is fixed.

Now, to confirm that everything is ok open the Play Store, tap on the search icon (magnifying glass) top right, type 'Android System WebView', make sure it's enabled and update to the latest version if the 'Update' button is available.

- Restart your phone and see if you get the login screen next time you join the public network. Try the different ways I commented before (from the notification and opening any site from different browsers).

If you are still getting the same error it's time to check if there's a conflict with another app that you downloaded. Boot in safe mode to temporarily disable any third party app and try the login again. Search for the right steps in how to do this on your specific model and carrier.

Let's see how it goes.
Thank you, I really do appreciate all your help. I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

M x

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Let's see how it goes.
Followed your advice today and I now have a properly functioning phone Javier you are an absolute star, thank you so so much for all your help. You've saved me a long drive to my nearest Samsung Service.

M x

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Followed your advice today and I now have a properly functioning phone Javier you are an absolute star, thank you so so much for all your help. You've saved me a long drive to my nearest Samsung Service.

M x
Excellent! Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up! I'm almost sure that the problem was with Chrome, but if you want to be sure enable it back and see if you get the same problem again. Or not :)

I'm going to edit your title to add 'solved', so it'll be easier finding it for future reference.

mtbbuxton

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

Excellent! Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up! I'm almost sure that the problem was with Chrome, but if you want to be sure enable it back and see if you get the same problem again. Or not :)

I'm going to edit your title to add 'solved', so it'll be easier finding it for future reference.
I've already enabled Chrome and it's still working. Whatever the issue was you've solved it, thank you

M x

ghettocowboy79

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321