Unable to connect to public Wi-Fi

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a Oneplus 5 running Android 10.0.1. When I try to authenticate to a free public WiFi network, such as the ones at airports, I get as far as an empty page with only a banner at the top saying, "Tap here to connect". However, no amount of tapping allows me to proceed as nothing happens when I tap. I need to get to the page where the service allows me to simply accept terms of service and connect, but I never get there. I have reset network settings, to no avail. Hopefully, some wizard here has the magic solution? My wife's iPhone seamlessly connects.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When this happens, check your wife's phone to see if you can figure out the URL for the captive portal. Sometimes, if you type that URL directly in your browser, the login page will appear.

If you're using a VPN or ad-blocker, make sure to turn those off as well.

Another more obscure possibility would be if you're using a custom DNS. Open Chrome, then tap Menu>Settings>Privacy and Security>Use Secure DNS, and make sure that's set to "Use your current service provider." Also, in the main system settings, go to Network & Internet>Private DNS, and make sure that's set to Automatic as well.

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
When this happens, check your wife's phone to see if you can figure out the URL for the captive portal. Sometimes, if you type that URL directly in your browser, the login page will appear.

If you're using a VPN or ad-blocker, make sure to turn those off as well.

Another more obscure possibility would be if you're using a custom DNS. Open Chrome, then tap Menu>Settings>Privacy and Security>Use Secure DNS, and make sure that's set to "Use your current service provider." Also, in the main system settings, go to Network & Internet>Private DNS, and make sure that's set to Automatic as well.
Actually, that is what I had been doing all along - using the URL manually, but it doesn't work in all cases.

I am not using a VPN or ad-blocker.

The settings in your third paragraph are all currently as you have prescribed.

Anyway, I have changed the following settings in Chrome:

For Safe Browsing, Enhanced protection -> Standard protection
I may have to go to No Protection (if need be) as I am not concerned about nefarious websites as I do not visit them.

Now, "Do Not Track is on. Would flipping that make a difference? (I can only test these on my next visit to a public wifi location)

I always have "Always use secure connections" checked which changes http to https. Not sure if that has a bearing on this.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Disable Private DNS until after the login portal appears -- I can't quite tell if that's what you meant by "changing my dns". If you use an ad blocker make sure it isn't blocking neverssl nor using its own DNS server(s).
Welcome to Android Central! I can usually still log in with Private DNS, as long as it's set to Automatic, and not to custom one like Google or Cloudflare.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, that is what I had been doing all along - using the URL manually, but it doesn't work in all cases.

I am not using a VPN or ad-blocker.

The settings in your third paragraph are all currently as you have prescribed.

Anyway, I have changed the following settings in Chrome:

For Safe Browsing, Enhanced protection -> Standard protection
I may have to go to No Protection (if need be) as I am not concerned about nefarious websites as I do not visit them.

Now, "Do Not Track is on. Would flipping that make a difference? (I can only test these on my next visit to a public wifi location)

I always have "Always use secure connections" checked which changes http to https. Not sure if that has a bearing on this.

Thanks.
I don't think you should have to change Safe Browsing to No Protection. I also don't think the Do Not Track should matter, nor the Always Use Secure Connections setting.

Does it still happen in Safe Mode? https://www.hardreset.info/devices/oneplus/oneplus-5/safe-mode/

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, when I start up in Safe Mode, It asks me to choose where I want to "install" from Internal Storage. Not sure what that's all about. I don't want to install anything! Kindly give me a step-by-step roadmap to proceed. Thanks.

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Did you look at the video? Your photo is not safe mode
I was too smug for my own good! I should have done that! Egg on my face with apologies! Of course, if I RTFM, I would have known that the stupid video I followed from elsewhere on YouTube (holding down the Vol Down, Home and Power buttons) was not the way to get into Safe mode. :(I followed the above video (and surprise!) it worked!

Okay, I will try this when I get to a public wi fi and report back to you. Thank you.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I was too smug for my own good! I should have done that! Egg on my face with apologies! Of course, if I RTFM, I would have known that the stupid video I followed from elsewhere on YouTube (holding down the Vol Down, Home and Power buttons) was not the way to get into Safe mode. :(

Okay, I will try this when I get to a public wi fi and report back to you. Thank you.
Okay 👌🏼 let us know and all good bc I saw a few videos pop up when I searched that were not for safe mode ...

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the screenshot you showed above is the Recovery menu. "Install from internal storage" is an option to manually install a firmware update that's been saved to the phone's internal storage.

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay, it worked in Safe Mode but how do I detect which of my applications are causing this issue?

Also, I had a heck of a time getting out of Safe mode. It also played havoc with many apps on my desktop. I don't think I want to try Safe Mode again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using any security or antivirus apps?

Another thing we didn't discuss was if you tried a different browser.

Typically, to get out of Safe Mode, all you have to do is reboot. A reboot without using the Safe Mode keypress combination should get you back into normal mode. Safe Mode technically shouldn't mess up any apps, but if it does, that may have to do more with deficiencies in how those apps are coded (or perhaps with how the phone's firmware is coded).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The times I've used safe mode, it's removed shortcuts to third party apps from my home screens, and I've had to add them back again. That might be what the OP is referring to. I've never had any issues getting out of safe mode though, simply restart or shut down and start up again and away you go 😉

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
The times I've used safe mode, it's removed shortcuts to third party apps from my home screens, and I've had to add them back again. That might be what the OP is referring to. I've never had any issues getting out of safe mode though, simply restart or shut down and start up again and away you go 😉
You are right. I saw that many shortcuts were missing and the default launcher had taken over and freaked out. I did not realize that the first few times I rebooted that I was, indeed, out of Safe Mode already. I expected everything to return to the way I had set it up with Microsoft Launcher. That did not happen. I am good now. Luckily, the missing shortcuts mysteriously reappeared, though, only after some time.

I will look into disabling Lookout next time and try connecting to WiFi. Thanks for all your advice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos