Some Thoughts on switching from S7 Edge to HTC 10

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
An interesting point of view thanks. I was thinking of swapping my S7 Edge with a friend's HTC 10. He was not overly impressed with the 10 and I simply get bored easily. His eagerness to swap was putting me off but may reconsider.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Have a S7edge and love it, but I also love the HTC 10!! I really like the responsiveness of the touch screen. Low latency they call it, I think. The slightest finger pressure moves the icon or screens, etc. If I had a magic wand I would make it a little lighter, like my S7E, and crank up the volume on the bottom call speaker. A little thinner would be fine also. Keeping both phones and just switching sim cards when I want to use the other phone.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Have a S7edge and love it, but I also love the HTC 10!! I really like the responsiveness of the touch screen. Low latency they call it, I think. The slightest finger pressure moves the icon or screens, etc. If I had a magic wand I would make it a little lighter, like my S7E, and crank up the volume on the bottom call speaker. A little thinner would be fine also. Keeping both phones and just switching sim cards when I want to use the other phone.

I have an S7 too. And when i heard that the LG G5 and HTC 10 softwares are lightning fast and extremely responsive, I started to feel like my S7 was slow. And it is compared to those phones. I could feel the unresponsive nature while navigating through the UI. And it really made me want to go for one of those phones.

But then, i switched to nova launcher. And maybe it's just me, but it feels like a completely different phone now. It fliiiieeeesssss through the UI with the touchscreen so responsive. I found out that it's not the touchscreen it's actually the launcher which is slow to response.

Give nova launcher a shot and let me know if it feels better or anything like the HTC.

Posted via the Android Central App

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an S7 too. And when i heard that the LG G5 and HTC 10 softwares are lightning fast and extremely responsive, I started to feel like my S7 was slow. And it is compared to those phones. I could feel the unresponsive nature while navigating through the UI. And it really made me want to go for one of those phones.

But then, i switched to nova launcher. And maybe it's just me, but it feels like a completely different phone now. It fliiiieeeesssss through the UI with the touchscreen so responsive. I found out that it's not the touchscreen it's actually the launcher which is slow to response.

Give nova launcher a shot and let me know if it feels better or anything like the HTC.

I have both the S7e(work) and the HTC 10(personal). I installed the Google Now Launcher on the S7e and it is still nowhere near as responsive as the 10. I'm slowly getting used to using it but I can't help but notice everywhere HTCs craftsmanship destroys the S7e. Touch responsiveness, fingerprint sensor, call quality, boomsound, front facing camera( lots of pictures I take of me and my sons and wife) and the overall feel in hand without a case. I would've never spent my hard earned money on any Samsung phone. HTCs 10 has the best overall experience I've ever had in a phone.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just swapped my S7 Edge for an HTC 10 today, some thoughts...

The screen on the HTC is not as good as the S7. It's obviously not as vibrant but I was surprised at how dim it is. Full brightness is like the S7 at 50-60%. The S7 Edge screen was actually a negative for me. Anything on the edges looked worse than on a flat screen (like full screen movies).

The HTC 10 does look more like stock Android and there probably is less bloat which is good. I was disappointed that Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram are forced on the user though. I have to say though, at this early point there may be sometimes where the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is faster (I had the Xynos version). Scrolling on Chrome and Twitter are noticeably smoother than on the HTC 10. I'll leave the 10 some time to settle though before I judge.

Build quality. I like the 10 a lot. I prefer the metal back and looks. It's less slippery to handle than the S7 as well which is a real bonus as I prefer not to use a case. In terms of which is best, hard to say... The Samsung is a quality device and looked just as great. I guess it's a choice of glass or metal back and Edge screen or not.

Sound. The speakers and sound quality from the 10 are a lot better. I haven't tried headphones yet which is a big reason I switched but I expect the experience to be better on the 10.

Overall I'm happy. I was ready for a change and the 10 is a good device. Both devices are excellent and a lot is down to personal preference.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts about the HTC 10.

I almost purchased one when it was released just because of the hardware and even to this day love the way it looks. I go naked with my phones and holding it would've been pure pleasure.

At the end of the day I decided to keep my S6 Edge+ for the size and I also noticed the screen wasn't as bright which both means a lot to me.

Good luck with your 10 !!!

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to mention the finger print sensor/home button arrangement...

Not having to depress the home button to register a fingerprint makes the HTC 10 feel a lot quicker to unlock.

The whole system feels more cohesive too. I hated that the S7 Edge had one button with a different tactile feel to the capacitive buttons and screen.

Looking back I would say that the HTC 10 is about on par with the Nexus 5x for its fingerprint sensor - ie great.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
"Smarter device"! I really liked that. It totally is the smarter device. And as a total package, it is the best option(TOTAL meaning hardware, software and services). In my opinion, NOTHING beats it.

From me to you by the Power Cosmic

The S7e does.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung phones are the most bloated amongst any Android phone. You get double everything...S Notes, Samsung Contacts, Samsung app store, Google Account + Samsung Account login... sheeeshhh, no wonder why their phones lag so much despite superior hardware....that, and TouchWiz, ewww

S7e doesn't lag.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The S7 Edge did not lag. It was lighting quick. The Xynos version I had never hiccuped once.

The HTC 10 is also just as fast, but people need to stop this touchwiz lag rubbish as an argument - when clearly they have never used an S6 or S7.

Sure there's a lot of extra apps and bloat but that can be dealt with by disabling some and by using a simple app called Package Disabler. The HTC 10 also forces Facebook and Facebook Messenger on you by the way, which is bloat I don't use.

Anyway, in terms of speed I'm calling a draw, they are both excellent in that respect.

JN81

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The S7 Edge did not lag. It was lighting quick. The Xynos version I had never hiccuped once.

The HTC 10 is also just as fast, but people need to stop this touchwiz lag rubbish as an argument - when clearly they have never used an S6 or S7.

Sure there's a lot of extra apps and bloat but that can be dealt with by disabling some and by using a simple app called Package Disabler. The HTC 10 also forces Facebook and Facebook Messenger on you by the way, which is bloat I don't use.

Anyway, in terms of speed I'm calling a draw, they are both excellent in that respect.

I've never had Facebook or Facebook Messenger forced on my 10. In fact it was never downloaded to mine. I have the Verizon branded 10. Is yours unlocked or might you be on a different carrier where it might be the carrier pushing it (not sure why that would be)?

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to chime in since I owe a S7 edge but accidentally cracked the screen and while waiting for my replacement unit I tried out the 10 with every intention of keeping it.

Compared to the Edge the 10 was highly disappointing. Boomsound though sounded rich in sound was horribly low in volume. The 10 ran hot half the time, the battery was subpar (compared to the edge) and the screen sucked in sunlight. The 10 even though had a smaller screen, the size of the phone was almost identical to the bigger screen Edge. This is where some might disagree but I even found myself missing TouchWiz UI. I Did not like Sense luck of quick toggles and Sense themes wasn't as robust as Samsung themes.

Sure each phone has positive and negatives compared to each other but the positives on the Edge for me outweigh the negative.

I have since received my Edge and after a week with the One, going back to the Edge felt like an upgrade in every way.

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge but am seriously considering switching to the M10 in August when I have an upgrade. The S7 Edge is a great phone (especially the screen and camera) but I've a a few lingering issues which I never had with my previous HTC phones:

1) the bluetooth doesn't play well with my car (2011 Audi Q5). It will connect just fine but I cannot import my phonebook. I asked at the dealership if there was a software update for the car and the rep's first statement was: "Let me guess. It's a Samsung phone". I suspect this is not widespread and perhaps isolated to certain manufacturers but, at least for me, this is a problem. Cheaper to switch phones than cars;

2) MS Exchange: maybe it's just the Samsung stock email program but I've encountered a few missing features. Nothing major, but annoying. Stock HTC email always worked perfectly for me with Exchange;

3) Do Not Disturb mode: I've played around with this at length but still cannot get it to work as I'd like it to. No idea how it is on the M10 but always worked without issue on the M8 & M9 for me;

4) Fingerprint scanner / home button: hate it.

5) Notification management: I've had the phone since release and it's still damn confusing. I've pretty much given up at this point;

6) TouchWiz selecting default apps: I have no idea what they were thinking here. You have to go deep into the settings menu to change them. I hope it's changed in a software update but nothing yet;

7)TouchWiz, in general: no lag that some people appear to be complaining of but it's still an ugly, confusing mess, in my opinion. Sense by a mile here;

8) Screen is a scratch magnet: within days of careful use there were minor surface scratches on the screen (nothing major, but visible in certain light). I didn't plan on doing so but have resigned myself to having a screen protector on the phone. And, they are a pain in the *** to install on the edge;

9) The "Edge" screen: I still don't see the point. I bought this variant for the larger screen and battery. Other than that, I never use the useless edge features.

Anyway, not sure if I'll make the switch or just wait until next year. All in all, my gripes with the S7 Edge are relatively minor and it's still a great phone. In the event that I switch, I'm fully aware of the screen and camera downgrade. As long as the M10 screen and camera are decent this isn't a big issue for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174