Sprint TEP Worth

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to see if its worth getting TEP for EVO. I am pretty careful with my phones so not sure if paying $7.00 per month as I might be selling this phone after the year .

What do you guys think ?:)

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to see if its worth getting TEP for EVO. I am pretty careful with my phones so not sure if paying $7.00 per month as I might be selling this phone after the year .

What do you guys think ?:)

my answer is.....you never know what can/will happen....and the 2nd part of that is...its your money..if money isnt and issue..why not....if it is an issue..well you picked the wrong phone to have since you have the extra $10 premium data fee that comes along with the evo. and starting in april any smartphone for that matter.

i wanted to cancel mine...but i know the minute i do something will happen. thats just my luck. :)

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I knew about the $10 premium data fee , I guess even though there in no 4G in my area..

its "not" for 4g tho lol...i dont have 4g either so dont feel bad......but all smartphones (android, blackberry, winmo) will be getting the fee starting april....i think i remember reading its only after you switch plans or get a new phone....so if your currently not paying it you wont have to until you upgrade again...or if your a new customer you will get the charge.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am very careful with my phone but over the years TEP has saved me more than once. The $7 per month plus the $100 if you make a claim I wont say that I have saved a lot of money. I will say $100 dollars is a lot easier to come up with last minute than $400. I use my phone for work so I have to have is so for me TEP is a must have.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I usually do it for the first six months when I discontinue it. But I sort of baby my devices. Never had a claim and even after a year of use, my devices are usually in good shape.

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I am not at six months mark yet LOL . I guess TEP its like any insurance if you get to use it its worth it otherwise its not.

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Since Sprint no longer covers broken screens under warrenty, TEP is very worth it! I just replaced a screen of a girl that didn't have TEP and no matter how much she sweet talked the sprint repair stores it was a big no deal. New screen on amazon for $30 plus tools and adhesive.... and the risk of messing up the guts of your phone... I am glad I have TEP

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Since Sprint no longer covers broken screens under warrenty, TEP is very worth it! I just replaced a screen of a girl that didn't have TEP and no matter how much she sweet talked the sprint repair stores it was a big no deal. New screen on amazon for $30 plus tools and adhesive.... and the risk of messing up the guts of your phone... I am glad I have TEP

I called about 6 different Sprint stores and none of them are willing to fix my cracked screen. They only fix hairline cracks, not shattered ones...like mine. One store did say if I bought a replacement screen, they'll replace it, but I didn't ask how much they'll charge.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just consider TEP to be part of the price of the phone and leave it at that. I upgrade every year, so instead of $199, I consider the phone to be $293 after adding a year of TEP.

To me it's worth it because even if you don't break your phone, I'd rather just walk into a Sprint store and have them fix it or get a new phone the next day than have to deal with shipping a phone in for warranty service and all the other steps that go with it.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Its always good to try to find a store or private location who has a good tech and keep his number handy. I work in the wireless recycling business and trust me all my friends call me first when they have a lost phone or a broken one. I tell them as long as they know me buying insurance doesnt really pay off. I can sell them a used phone at a discount, or they can pay for parts and bring it to me and i will charge them a small fee, usually steak dinner. If its not a good friend 20-40 bucks for my time.
But again, it all depends on who you know. If you dont have access to something like that insurance isnt bad to have.
Sounds like you are like me, never lost a phone, always try to baby it. If thats the case your more likely to accidently drop it or damage a data port then actually loose it.
With cases like that its usually cheaper to pay for a repair then to file an insurance claim.
But it also wasnt that long ago that sprint only charged 35 bucks to have broken glass replaced.
It was 35, then 125, then 100, then 35 and now back to 100.
If memory serves me right.
Bottom line is add the cost of a years woth of insurance plus the deductible for a broken glass cenario. Then see what a repair might cost you in say 4 months. (based on todays pricing)
Your options are buy a used device, upgrade if eligible, repair center or find someone who can do a repair. Do the math and find out what suits you best.

lager1829

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Phone in hand. Set phone on car. Get in car. Drive off. Phone falls off car. Another car drives over phone. New phone delivered next day no questions asked. ($100 out of pocket) p.s. It actually still worked, but the glass slivers made the touch screen a bit difficult to use.

Last edited:

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how people are getting EVOs replaced the next day because I just dropped mine last week in the toilet, don't ask. I called Asurion the next day and they are backordered. The phone will finally be delivered tomorrow, which is a week after I suybmitted my claim. Glad I kept my Palm Pre or I would have been SOL this whole time. :mad:

lager1829

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Went online and filled out the claim (about 4 pm the day of the incident). The new EVO came next day. Was very impressed with the response time. BTW this was back in October.

El_Zacatecas

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I havn't broken mine yet.. YET! i know im a bad Evo Owner .. but i know it will just happen :(..the good thing their is a Sprint Authorized Repair center 5 mins from here.. they sell only sprint stuff and fix sprint phones.. but its not an actual store.. it has a diffrent name, but its a very good store, if your phone is broken they fix 50 $ for a New screen or 100$ for something they cant fix, they'll just get you a refurbished one . better than the Actual sprint store located around here !

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think those 3rd party places can sometimes be the best. Sure they dont have all the resources a corporate owned store has, but they can also do stuff that corporate stores wont do.
I managed one of those for Nextel , then Sprint Nextel for about 8 years and our customers were so happy. Mainly because we always wanted to actually fix the problem, not sell them a new phone or upgrade.

spyguy3

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Can I purchase a refurbished EVO from Sprint?

Just curious, I have a Touch Pro2 currently, and want an EVO. I don't want to upgrade yet because I want to hold off for maybe an EVO 3d or something. Is it possible to purchase a refurbished EVO from Sprint of a Sprint Repair store instead of paying full price, or burning an upgrade? thanks

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I get the 10% discount for being a credit union member so i consider the TEP a wash. I had cancelled it though on my Pre after a year when early term was a hair more expensive than my TEP deductible because there was no way in hell I was going to spend $100 on another Pre. I had actually cancelled it AFTER I broke my Pre and then used my old centro for a month before I got a pre from a friend before I got my lovely Evo :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny