Sprint's LTE build out already underway, new 4G network to launch

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint's LTE build out already underway, new 4G network to la

That means the Galaxy S III will be an LTE phone and I'll get to use my final Premier upgrade on that next September!

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

well they better not just drop wimax as soon as it turns on. i will be fighting for an upgrade saying it is ridiculous you let people upgrade to a new phone on a 4g network that you knew would be dead within the year.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Sorry Not trying to be negative here but Im not buying that LTE will hit market mid 2012.
Lightsquare has not gotten approval to use their frequency all kinds of heck going on with I don't see it getting Approved.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G LTE HD TOUCH DELUXE Name confirmed

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Not trying to be negative here but Im not buying that LTE will hit market mid 2012.
Lightsquare has not gotten approval to use their frequency all kinds of heck going on with I don't see it getting Approved.
I agree. The lightsquared issue is more of a big deal than most people think. I was reading an article in I think business aviation magazine where they went into great depth on the issue. Basically lightsquared's "fix" in for everyone to install a filter on all GPS equipment when this filter doesn't even exist. Surveying equipment can be affected for over 200 miles and can not have filters installed as it makes them less accurate. Aircraft can be affected for up to 70 miles which is very dangerous. Aircraft have to go through rigorous approval processes for everything along with the man hours to change equipment and time. Even farming equipment is affected by the spectrum. This is going to drag on and the only resolution I see is lightsquared giving up the spectrum that causes this.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I was going to upgrade to the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch but in sounds like it is wimax only and can't do LTE. It would suck to be stuck with this phone for 2 years if Sprint really does roll out LTE next year.

Last edited:

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Even if the rollout starts in 2012, I'd bet it wouldn't reach the coverage WiMax has now for at least a year after that.

foogle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I agree, people shouldn't decide to buy this phone based on Sprint LTE's availability at all! It make sense if you want to hold off to get the Prime because it's just another month or few months away. For LTE, it won't be any time until 2013, or 4th quarter 2012 if we are lucky. So holding off buying a phone for an entire year is crazy.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Will the Prime be WiMax LTE capable? Here is my situation. We have 3 phones, only my EVO has contract time left. My grand plan was to move all phones and numbers to Verizon for decent data speeds when the EVO contract is up next August 2012.

However my son lost his phone. So I looked into this phone and heard about the LTE rollout starting 2012. I would get this phone and give my EVO to my son. The downside, starting a new 2 year contract, stuck for two years with slow data, upside, the latest phone.

I'd really like to stay with sprint to avoid the costs and hassle of moving and having unlimited data, but I need faster data. So a nice phone that could transition to the new network technology would be perfect. Else, I'll buy a flip phone on ebay for my son and I'll wait a year, move to Verizon and have data speeds I can use (or maybe keep sprint at that time because they will have LTE phones out with great data speeds)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Wimax and LTE will live side by side. Sprints not going to invest so much money to just drop it. I think that we can update to Wimax+ but don't quote me on that. I read somewhere in the past that WiMax can handle LTE with just and upgrade but from i am finding now its not possible but who knows. I'm not worried about it its not like this phone is horrible. Plus if it is possible to just upgrade 3G REV B phase 1 with a software upgrade then we will be getting 10 mbs with that. and thats fast enough for me. What type of files are you guys downloading to your phones ? lol

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Apparently our Epic Touch 4G's will be able to utilize Sprints "new" 4G network

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

For "us," those that are informed know Samsung is a network partner on the build out.....Good to be CDMA.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have link for confirmation on this? It would make getting the phone a no brainer instead of a mistake.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

For "us," those that are informed know Samsung is a network partner on the build out.....Good to be CDMA.

I guess CDMA is good because at least these phones will have 3g when 4g WiMax is not offered and LTE is not available on these phones?

I have done a lot of searching and found nothing that hinted that the Sprint GS II Epic 4g touch has both LTE and WiMax capabilities. So it seems, if on Sprint, now is the worst time to upgrade to a two year contract on a phone that will not handle Sprints new 4G network next year.

I'll wait for a LTE/WiMax capable phone, or just switch to Verizon when my EVO contract is up next August and not worry about it. At least by next August we will have a better idea how the Sprint network upgrade is going. If they are pushing back upgrade dates and a revised schedule says 2013, it will be time to move on.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

In about 6 more days we should here something about the network. The 7th is the conference think that Sprint is holding isn't it? I don't think LTE will be rolling out till late 2nd or 3rd quarter. With the issues LS is having it just means delays. They might release the phones but it will be like now and WiMax people will buy them and complain that Sprint has LTE phones but no LTE service, Why should i pay 10 bucks for LTE when i dont have it... lol people still complain about a 10 dollar 4G charge....

Anyway I hope and believe in Sprint and in This great phone my E4GT . soon we will know more about what data will be for Sprint in the upcoming year...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I guess CDMA is good because at least these phones will have 3g when 4g WiMax is not offered and LTE is not available on these phones?

I have done a lot of searching and found nothing that hinted that the Sprint GS II Epic 4g touch has both LTE and WiMax capabilities. So it seems, if on Sprint, now is the worst time to upgrade to a two year contract on a phone that will not handle Sprints new 4G network next year.

I'll wait for a LTE/WiMax capable phone, or just switch to Verizon when my EVO contract is up next August and not worry about it. At least by next August we will have a better idea how the Sprint network upgrade is going. If they are pushing back upgrade dates and a revised schedule says 2013, it will be time to move on.

The 850Mhz band on the epic touch will run on LTE. I need to read more. Maybe they know something I don't, maybe a new base band is all it will take when they shut down iDEN?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk