Standby battery drain

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've installed this to see how it works.

Are you familiar with Greenify? I used it on my N4 for a while and 10 hours of not touching the phone I would lose 1% and nothing would wake my phone except the apps I selected. Does this work the same, except it starts automatically when the screen goes dark?

Yes I've tried Greenify before and it's kind of similar on their goal, but the approach is little different and for some reason I never liked Greenify it always gave me problems with the apps I wanted to keep notifying, like Gmail and some others, I don't know why but the 2 times I tried it, it was the same. With Doze its very easy, jut add all those you want to keep notifying and running in the background tomnthe Active list and all the rest will stop using data after the screen turns off, and it has worked great so far.

This and the Auto Stop feature that was fixed with 5.1.1 by Samsung, it's a killer combo.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes I've tried Greenify before and it's kind of similar on their goal, but the approach is little different and for some reason I never liked Greenify it always gave me problems with the apps I wanted to keep notifying, like Gmail and some others, I don't know why but the 2 times I tried it, it was the same. With Doze its very easy, jut add all those you want to keep notifying and running in the background tomnthe Active list and all the rest will stop using data after the screen turns off, and it has worked great so far.

This and the Auto Stop feature that was fixed with 5.1.1 by Samsung, the combo is a killer.

Auto Stop feature? I'm not familiar with that. I have noticed though that some disabled apps still have background data running, which is crazy.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Auto Stop feature? I'm not familiar with that. I have noticed though that some disabled apps still have background data running, which is crazy.

Yes, check the other thread where I posted my tweaks and the original link to the S6 forum, you'll see there the details about the Auto Stop feature, but it seems that it may have been disabled by AT&T and Verizon, and there are other carriers in Asia that moved it to the RAM Management section. AT&T didn't even have it on 5.0.2 that is the latest version they have for the S6 variants (S6, edge and Active), so I don't really know with their 5.1.1 version for the Note 5 and Edge+.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok.. I can never open those details. It is there but greyed out and says, all apps have used a normal amount of battery..

I have T-Mobile.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
standby drain across Android is and always has been horrific. Google has started and ended project after project over the last 5 years trying to solve it, but somehow they couldn't figure it out. iPhone doesn't deal with these issues, and is light years ahead, but obviously there's a lot less moving parts so the task is much more difficult for Google.

Improving standby drain by even 50% would make a monster difference in battery life. Think about how many times you look down and see 24% ... it'll be closer to 50% soon.

Fortunately (and i realize this isn't breaking news, but hopefully it is for a few people following the thread) Google finally seems to have made significant progress and Doze has received positive feedback this far. M will be here soon enough, and unlike LP, I think it's going to make a dramatic improvement (despite the subtle changes) and be closer to what we originally expected from LP.

I've been b*tching about standby drain since I moved in with my now wife 5 years ago. She almost never charges her iPhone overnight, and I see it next to mine 71% when I go to bed, 70%, maybe 69% in the morning. Meanwhile hop in the shower and when I head out to work I'm already down 5% .... Yeah, definitely hoping Doze works as advertised!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok.. I can never open those details. It is there but greyed out and says, all apps have used a normal amount of battery..

I have T-Mobile.

That's weird, that was the exact thing that was happening before the 5.1.1 update, and it was stated that it was one of the things that was fixed on the released version, so I assumed that all the 5.1.1 versions, including the ones on the Note 5 and Edge + already had that fixed, it seems not, really weird.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
question: one of the major features with M is permissions. so if I don't want to give out certain info to let's say Facebook, I'll have that option (which I will surely take advantage of).

i would think the less info they're allowed to take, the less often things will be running in the background, which is another big drain. is that just wishful thinking or I'm I right about that? or do i just sound like a jackass and have no clue what I'm talking about!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's weird, that was the exact thing that was happening before the 5.1.1 update, and it was stated that it was one of the things that was fixed on the released version, so I assumed that all the 5.1.1 versions, including the ones on the Note 5 and Edge + already had that fixed, it seems not, really weird.

I had my S6 Edge for like 3 weeks and I think I couldn't open that part on the S6E either.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
question: one of the major features with M is permissions. so if I don't want to give out certain info to let's say Facebook, I'll have that option (which I will surely take advantage of).

i would think the less info they're allowed to take, the less often things will be running in the background, which is another big drain. is that just wishful thinking or I'm I right about that? or do i just sound like a jackass and have no clue what I'm talking about!!

The other thing and what is causes the heads up notifications, the developer gets to pick the priority of their notification. So a heads up notification is the highest priority. I would also imagine if it is a high priority notification, it probably uses more resources also automatically. That is something we are supposed to be able to change.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I really don't know too much about Doze on M, other that what is common knowledge on basic info, but with the Doze app I know that if you don't add that app to the Active list it will shutdown all data traffic from and to it.

Last edited:

veasna toem

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just picked up note 5 64gb version yesterday. I was very pleased with the phone and also battery life. However I left it in do not disturb mode at night it had 84% battery left or more. Woke up 6 hours later to 72% then another 2 hours later to 65%. Why is that? I don't have any apps running in background no downloads or updates. Anyone noticed that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201