Sub-par battery life test?

pwiddy

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
i found battery life on 6p to be BETTER for sure than the note 5. I'd venture to say in my experience 25-30% better. But I was really disappointed with N5 battery...i think a low cell signal may be to blame for my problems. Iphone 6s + battery blows both out of water by a long shot though. In my workday, avg by 5:00pm, N5 would be 25-30%, 6p was 40-50% and iphone is 75-80%. It's insane....and granted that's just after a few days with iphone (and 6p) but similar conditions. I'm an android fan at heart since day 1 but they gotta figure out the battery thing its driving me away.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i found battery life on 6p to be BETTER for sure than the note 5. I'd venture to say in my experience 25-30% better. But I was really disappointed with N5 battery...i think a low cell signal may be to blame for my problems. Iphone 6s + battery blows both out of water by a long shot though. In my workday, avg by 5:00pm, N5 would be 25-30%, 6p was 40-50% and iphone is 75-80%. It's insane....and granted that's just after a few days with iphone (and 6p) but similar conditions. I'm an android fan at heart since day 1 but they gotta figure out the battery thing its driving me away.
I agree that the battery needs to be better, but then again when I go to my iPhone and the background downloads for podcasts don't happen (with 2 different apps) until I open the app. Even with the iPhone plugged in at 100% .

So I'm sure much of what Android is doing to keep my phone "up to date and ready to go" is using up that precious battery. 😔. It's a trade off sad to say.

I wonder if Doze will prevent my podcast downloads overnight while plugged in...

I'm waiting for N6P to arrive.

madcrabs

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Got about 5 hours and 20 minutes screen time today. Most of the day adaptive brightness was on, but I was working on adjusting screen colors and had it off and relatively bright for probably 45 minutes.

In the picture, battery saving had just kicked on at 15% battery, which prompted me to take the screenshot.

No games were played, just browsing and streaming video (hulu, sling).

Attachments

• 1446626279469.jpg
    1446626279469.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 46

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My first day of real use of the device goes as follows..

Things that contribute to battery drain during the day for me...
Bluetooth,Wifi, NFC and GPS (High Accuracy) are on all day!
Gmail account and Work Exchange email account syncing.
Facebook, Weather Timeline app, And Slickdeals apps all pulling data thought the day.
Whats app and Groupme Apps getting random text messages.
Google Now running.
Screen time out 1 min
Brightness around 75 percent.

Unplugged at 5:30am and alarm goes off for 30 min at 5 min intervals.
Listened to about 15 min of GPM on the way in
At work, Showed off the new phone for about an hour.
Played about 45 min of clash of clans (Over the course of the day)
About 30 photos taken
10 Min of slow mo video taken
Uploaded Slow mo videos to youtube
Watched said videos for about 15 min.
Downloaded a few APPS form the store.
Only about 10 min of calls.
Just short of 4 hrs of screen on time.

Battery was at 7% at 9:30 when it plugged it in at night.

So about 17 hrs of use on what I would consider a heavy usage day is pretty good!

I will try to do a normal usage day today to see what my percentage will be at night.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So far my battery life hasn't been what I expected. It's not bad, I got over 4 hours of SOT, but the standby time hasn't improved that much for me. The phone still drains about 6% per hour. I've already tried restarting, I may do a factory reset and set it up as a new device, and see if that helps.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I want to do a factoty reset or not. Since I've restarted the phone the standby time seems to have got better. I still may do it just to test it out.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
So far my battery life hasn't been what I expected. It's not bad, I got over 4 hours of SOT, but the standby time hasn't improved that much for me. The phone still drains about 6% per hour. I've already tried restarting, I may do a factory reset and set it up as a new device, and see if that helps.

That bites...6% standby drain per hour is like the Samsung S6's. Pretty ridiculous. Others are reporting good standby drain with Doze enabled so hopefully your factory reset does the trick. Let us know!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Install a somethign that will give you better battery stats so you can find the wake lock. 6% is ridiculous.

I had a wakelock, but it was caused by an old bug from lollipop that seemed to have carried over to marshmallow. Mobile radio active bug. The first couple of days, the 6p was awesome with standby time in the days. Then chrome kept the radio active, and brought it down to maybe 7-8 hrs. Force stopping it had stopped the bug, for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I had a wakelock, but it was caused by an old bug from lollipop that seemed to have carried over to marshmallow. Mobile radio active bug.

Why in the world can't Google get this right? The iPhone hits it out of the park on Standby, really regulating what is allowed to use battery. It seems the Android bugs just migrate from one version to the next!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why in the world can't Google get this right? The iPhone hits it out of the park on Standby, really regulating what is allowed to use battery. It seems the Android bugs just migrate from one version to the next!

The first 5 days it was amazing. I went to work at 1500 and worked straight till 1900 before I went on break. Busy day, so didn't even look at my phone. I was at 51% when I got to work, then I checked my phone at 1900 I was at 49%. Lost only 2% in 4 hrs! That's crazy good. I thought Google had figured it out. Still some issues here and there.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That bites...6% standby drain per hour is like the Samsung S6's. Pretty ridiculous. Others are reporting good standby drain with Doze enabled so hopefully your factory reset does the trick. Let us know!

The factory reset did the trick. This time I chose to set up as a new phone. From my test starting yesterday evening, the standby time is insane. 6 hours and 39 minutes of phone idle with only 3% battery drain. Now that's more like it.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I know battery life gets better after the first 2 weeks, but for now I'm only just scraping through a 12 hour day on this phone. Luckily the rapid charging works like a champ!!!

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
How are you getting 5-6 hours of SOT?

Like the title said, I'd love to know the secret to getting that much screen on time.

Maybe I'm in an area with weak cell reception but I'm getting only about 4 hours at this point.

I have location off
Adaptive screen on and brightness low
No Bluetooth
I am running Google now
I use WiFi most of the day

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: How are you getting 5-6 hours of SOT?

Like the title said, I'd love to know the secret to getting that much screen on time.

Maybe I'm in an area with weak cell reception but I'm getting only about 4 hours at this point.

I have location off
Adaptive screen on and brightness low
No Bluetooth
I am running Google now
I use WiFi most of the day

I can get 5-6 SoT but I usually run the battery to about 5% if I do that. I like to charge my phone somewhere in the 20% range. I find it really helps if your in a good cell service area. Crappy service destroys batteries. This phone also gets better reception that the nexus 6 I had before it. I think that is helping with the standby time.

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I can get 5-6 SoT but I usually run the battery to about 5% if I do that. I like to charge my phone somewhere in the 20% range. I find it really helps if your in a good cell service area. Crappy service destroys batteries. This phone also gets better reception that the nexus 6 I had before it. I think that is helping with the standby time.

So that's probably my biggest issue. I work in a school with cinderblock walls. Looking at my cellular network signal is orangev from the time I'm there at about 7:45 until I leave at 3:30.

I do use the WiFi in the building though.

Got any other suggestions?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So that's probably my biggest issue. I work in a school with cinderblock walls. Looking at my cellular network signal is orangev from the time I'm there at about 7:45 until I leave at 3:30.

I do use the WiFi in the building though.

Got any other suggestions?

Turn off GPS/Location if your not using it. Maybe go through apps and check sync times. That should help. If you leave your phone sitting for awhile Doze kicks in, and standby time is pretty damn good.

**edit** just saw you have GPS/location off**

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Turn off GPS/Location if your not using it. Maybe go through apps and check sync times. That should help. If you leave your phone sitting for awhile Doze kicks in, and standby time is pretty damn good.

**edit** just saw you have GPS/location off**

How do you check sync times?