Success returning the phone?

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I requested a return last night and got an email back this morning asking for my order number. After I sent that I got another reply a few hours later offering me an additional week (taking me to 21 days) to see if I wanted to keep the phone and was told to reply back if I still wanted to go through with the return.

Funny thing is I'm actually considering keeping it now that the mi mix 2 kinda **** the bed.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Funny thing is I'm actually considering keeping it now that the mi mix 2 kinda **** the bed.
If you do end up keeping it, whitelist your apps via ADB so they fill the screen. It makes all the difference in appearance and overall experience. I was on the fence over returning but am now fairly committed. We no longer have to wait for individual app developers to support this phone.

Thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/essential-phone/832297-making-use-full-screen-apps.html

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I did run the adb command a few days ago and its definitely much nicer. I decided to keep it but I keep noticing more and more tiny scratches on the back and I have no idea what is causing them... I keep the phone in my pocket all by itself. I have more scratches on this one phone than on my previous 15 phones combined. Haven't dropped it or anything..

markwebb

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I received my phone, played with it for 6 hours and... Sold it on swappa. Way over priced for janky stuttering software, and disappointing camera.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My return label arrived today. So they didn't call. They just sent it. Came from Asurion. So end of the road. Thankfully.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm really torn on returning mine or not... I was going to return it for sure and get a mi mix 2 but that really disapointed me... Now I'm considering the v30 or pixel XL 2 instead but as I wait for my return box and label I like the phone more and more. These tiny scratches popping up daily though just from being in my pocket by itself pushes me back towards just returning it though... I change phones every few months and I rely on keeping my phones mint to get a good price back on them... I already can't sell this one as mint and I haven't even had it a week yet.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Try a dBrand skin. Some posts say it won't stick but probably better than scratching the case. Also saw a link to TPU case on Accessories thread.

Glad to hear return labels are coming in.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Try a dBrand skin. Some posts say it won't stick but probably better than scratching the case. Also saw a link to TPU case on Accessories thread.

Glad to hear return labels are coming in.

It will stick, dbrand uses 3m material. I actually ordered 2 of them.. they haven't shipped yet. Dbrand finally emailed me back today saying I should get a tracking number today... didn't happen. I now even have a tiny chip in the finish on the titanium border. This is really blowing my mind because I haven't scratched a phone in years and I change phones every couple months. I never use screen protectors but I do usually rock thin spigen cases at work. I haven't dropped this thing or slid it across a desk or anything... I'm sure the skin would help keep the back from getting scratched but now the damn titanium border is chipping too without getting hit... I really don't get it.

One step forward, two steps back on this phone... I just got to be able to hide my nav bar and get pie installed and then I go to wipe it off and see that nick on the side... killing me Smalls...

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
It will stick, dbrand uses 3m material.
Let us know how it goes. Not sure if you saw my post but I tested 3M DiNoc and 1080 series wraps and neither stuck to a level I'd personally consider acceptable. Dbrand uses 3M Architectural series and it uses the same adhesive. I'm not sure if 3M makes a wrap specific for LSE surfaces. That's the question I had.

Using 3M over another brand isn't the issue here. Not all adhesives stick to all surfaces. It has to have the right adhesive regardless of brand.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Let us know how it goes. Not sure if you saw my post but I tested 3M DiNoc and 1080 series wraps and neither stuck to a level I'd personally consider acceptable. Dbrand uses 3M Architectural series and it uses the same adhesive. I'm not sure if 3M makes a wrap specific for LSE surfaces. That's the question I had.

Using 3M over another brand isn't the issue here. Not all adhesives stick to all surfaces. It has to have the right adhesive regardless of brand.

If I ever actually get my skin I'll be sure to let you know lol. I'm not a fan of skins to begin with but there aren't many other options. My scratches are obviously coming from me setting it on a desk at work. Otherwise I'd have screen scratches too if it was happening in my pocket. A skin would fix this but I've had bad luck with skins peeling back at the corners from going in and out of my pockets.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
If I ever actually get my skin I'll be sure to let you know lol. I'm not a fan of skins to begin with but there aren't many other options. My scratches are obviously coming from me setting it on a desk at work. Otherwise I'd have screen scratches too if it was happening in my pocket. A skin would fix this but I've had bad luck with skins peeling back at the corners from going in and out of my pockets.
Peeling at the corners would be my biggest concern with skins on this phone. I like the ceramic but wouldn't mind some grip.

I still wonder if the micro scratches are in an oleophobic coating. It's unknown if the back is coated or raw ceramic.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my box today. However, I also got a call from management who personally apologize for the inconvenience that I've been caused which was a surprise and appreciated. It might even be enough to consider for me to keep the phone. I should be getting another call tomorrow to come up with some type of resolution otherwise I can return the phone hassle-free no issues.

His 10 minute conversation is the best I've had compared to the entire company for the three weeks I've been dealing with the situation.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
What will Essential do with all of these returned phones? Will they touch them up and use them as "like new" or refurbished replacement devices?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J0SH