Swapping Phones

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my phone and have a replacement coming today. What is the best app for doing this? I'd like to have all the same apps loaded if possible. I've backed up everything I can think of. What else can I do to make this as seamless as possible? Thanks.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The phone setup with Marshmallow detects that you've used another phone with your gmail address and should transfer your apps from your previous phone.

You said you dropped your other phone, can the screen still be used?

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The replacement supposedly will arrive this afternoon. The broken phone works for now. there are two cracks that radiate across the entire screen from the point of impact. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before the screen goes black.

FCSC

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Smart Switch came with our phones.. i'm going to have to do the same thing as you soon.. shattered my screen.

Settings - Backup and reset - smart switch

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand smart switch correctly, when I get my new phone, I just plug them together and it will do all the swapping?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
SmartSwitch also works through wireless.

We used it a lot when I worked at Best Buy.

It's smooth for the most part. If you have a lot of pics/vids then it'll take some time to transfer.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I've got everything like music and pics on the SD card. should I just take that out before I do the swap? Also, I assume i can have only one phone activated at a time, so how does wireless work?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've got everything like music and pics on the SD card. should I just take that out before I do the swap? Also, I assume i can have only one phone activated at a time, so how does wireless work?
It's done through NFC.