Switch to Android or stay on Blackberry?

ItsCourage

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Okay, the title gives little information, so allow me to elaborate. I dropped my Blackberry Z10 on to a hardwood floor from the height of my breast pocket. I have a warranty with T-Mobile, and they gave 2 options, either replace my phone, or get a new one without any additional fees. The thing is, T-Mobile no longer carries Blackberry phones, so if I choose to get a new device, they will have me start paying for the new phone in monthly installments. I personally love Blackberry 10, but I really want to upgrade, should I get an Android device such as the Xperia Z3, or the Galaxy Note 4, or should I wait until I can get a Blackberry Passport/Classic?

My needs include multimedia (i.e. pictures, videos, hdmi/miracast output), a long battery life, and a wealthy amount of location based services (on my Z10, I use Maps, ARKick, and Yelp). Can Android service my needs?

I'll be asking this on the Crackberry Forums as well as the Android Central Forums.

Thanks Mobile Nations!

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly speaking for most of your tasks, like media creation/consumption you'll find Android flagships way better.

You can't go wrong either way, but a Note 4 may be your best bet in the options you've mentioned.

Also some devices that you could also consider would include the Nexus 6 or Moto X 2014.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Me too. I've had the Note 3 for over a year and aside from 3 dust specs under the screen protector (my fault), I love it.

or get a new one without any additional fees. ... so if I choose to get a new device, they will have me start paying for the new phone in monthly installments.
That's the part I don't get. "No fees" means not now, not later and not monthly - "NO fees". They don't want to charge you but they want to charge you? Or am I misunderstanding something.

My needs include multimedia (i.e. pictures, videos, hdmi/miracast output)
Even Chromecast will mirror a Note 4. I'm sure Miracast will (although I own a Chromecast, so I'm only guessing from my research about Miracast before they came out with the app that lets the Note 3/4 mirror with Chromecast).

a long battery life
Define "long". I don't think any but the most trivial Android phone will run as long as a BB between charges - but that's because it's doing so much more. An 18-wheeler doesn't get as good gas mileage as a Mini Cooper.

and a wealthy amount of location based services (on my Z10, I use Maps, ARKick, and Yelp). Can Android service my needs?
Maps and Yelp work fine on Android. (Maps works even better if you run MyDirections-Google Map ext.) There's nothing like ARKick for Android. It looks like a nice app. A little over a year ago, they said it would be coming to Android "in the coming months" - I guess they meant more than 15 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45