Switching to Note 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Same here as well. The Note 8 has been lag free since I got it and I have used all the Notes in the series. I have decided not to get any of the new Pixel 2s since the Note 8 has everything in a complete package. The screen is also just is the best.

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm a die hard Google pixel fan. I've been reading and researching everyday comparing the note 8 and new pixel 2 XLs. I was trying so hard to never turn back to Samsung (had note 5 before pixel xl) .

To me the perfect phone would be Google software and Samsung hardware. But I've accepted its just not gonna happen. So I new I was going to have to sacrifice.

After comparing the new XLs with the note 8 in best buy, there's just no comparison. I'd be getting so much more phone with the note. The XLs screen looked horrendous and the phone didn't impress me at all. Except for the speed, which is very important to me.

Its unfair that you have to "settle " for mediocre hardware just to have Oreo. Unfair that Google can back the price up so high because us die hard naked android lovers will stay hooked.

I've had my note 8 now for 3 days. My goal was to make the note as close to the XLs software experience. I hate Samsung bloat. But after disabling all the useless stuff, and setting up nova just the way I always set up my phones , the phone FLIES. I have no reason to lie. I wanted to hate this phone so I'd have no choice but to return it for the XL.

Does it suck to have to debloat a phone to make it smooth? Maybe. But at least the software issues of Samsung can be overcome. Unlike overcoming hardware issues !

I could go on and on and rant and rave about the note 8 but I'd rather let others judge for themselves. You gotta try it to believe it. And I'm getting so much more phone for my money IMO.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I was all set on the pixel 2 XL but I have just ordered a note 8 for delivery tomorrow. I feel quite frustrated with Google for leaving off the headphone jack and wireless charging and for the less than premium build (screen). also to some extent no dual cameras is a let down as it's not only used for depth of field (which they've shown you don't need) but also for variety of photography and changing perspective. there is a reason most normal cameras offer zoom lenses.

in many ways I didn't want to go Samsung again but when I look at what they offer for basically the same as a 2XL it seems to be a much more complete package. yes I will.miss out on fast updates but at the end of the day, if the software works then why the rush for an update? in my time with the s7 edge I have found Samsung updates to be slow but very good with no added bugs and actually performance improvements along the way. when I read about pixel and even iPhone users who get the updates straight away I'm not sure the same is always true

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't laugh, but I am still using a Note 4. Going on three years now. It's still a great phone, despite occasional lag. I have replaced the battery once. I was so looking forward to the Note 8, but then I saw the price. Then I started to get really excited about the Pixel XL 2. Now I don't know what to do. I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks for people to use their phones, work out the bugs, and get some new reviews out there. By then, maybe there will be some good Black Friday deals available.

I just upgraded from a Note 4. Yes these new phones are expensive, just wait for a deal. Back when the Note 4 came out phones were still subsidized by the carriers. After a 2 yr contract and Best Buy pre-order deal I paid less than $100 for it. Note 8 I paid 960 - 300 trade in, paid over 2 years, but the plans are less expensive. I think it is a wash in the end. Note 8 is really great BTW. If you like 4 you'll love the 8.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As I suggested above in this thread, if you are a OG Pixel XL owner considering an N8, check out Swappa to sell your Pixel. Between Best Buy (if you are on VZW or ATT) or T-Mo (if you are on that network), they will give you a $200-$250 rebate. Combine that with the money you'll get for your OG Pixel on Swappa, and you are down to a very reasonable amount for a new N8. Finance that remainder and you'll have just a handful of months to your final payment. If you were considering either Pixel 2's, this is a very cost-effective alternative.

I am in day 2 and the N8 is simply a killer phone. Not just different from the Pixel, but an entirely different league, regarding display, design, build quality. Hands down a different world, IMO, and a place for a soft landing if you are pulling your hair out with the Pixel drama.

If not, and your are all-in on the new Pixels, that's a great way to go as well, as there are advantages on the software update front with Google phones - if that's your top priority.
Choices are a good thing!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm a die hard Google pixel fan. I've been reading and researching everyday comparing the note 8 and new pixel 2 XLs. I was trying so hard to never turn back to Samsung (had note 5 before pixel xl) .

To me the perfect phone would be Google software and Samsung hardware. But I've accepted its just not gonna happen. So I new I was going to have to sacrifice.

After comparing the new XLs with the note 8 in best buy, there's just no comparison. I'd be getting so much more phone with the note. The XLs screen looked horrendous and the phone didn't impress me at all. Except for the speed, which is very important to me.

Its unfair that you have to "settle " for mediocre hardware just to have Oreo. Unfair that Google can back the price up so high because us die hard naked android lovers will stay hooked.

I've had my note 8 now for 3 days. My goal was to make the note as close to the XLs software experience. I hate Samsung bloat. But after disabling all the useless stuff, and setting up nova just the way I always set up my phones , the phone FLIES. I have no reason to lie. I wanted to hate this phone so I'd have no choice but to return it for the XL.

Does it suck to have to debloat a phone to make it smooth? Maybe. But at least the software issues of Samsung can be overcome. Unlike overcoming hardware issues !

I could go on and on and rant and rave about the note 8 but I'd rather let others judge for themselves. You gotta try it to believe it. And I'm getting so much more phone for my money IMO.

Did you use a Samsung package disabler or just the normal means of disabling the bloat from the settings menu?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was all set on the pixel 2 XL but I have just ordered a note 8 for delivery tomorrow. I feel quite frustrated with Google for leaving off the headphone jack and wireless charging and for the less than premium build (screen). also to some extent no dual cameras is a let down as it's not only used for depth of field (which they've shown you don't need) but also for variety of photography and changing perspective. there is a reason most normal cameras offer zoom lenses.

in many ways I didn't want to go Samsung again but when I look at what they offer for basically the same as a 2XL it seems to be a much more complete package. yes I will.miss out on fast updates but at the end of the day, if the software works then why the rush for an update? in my time with the s7 edge I have found Samsung updates to be slow but very good with no added bugs and actually performance improvements along the way. when I read about pixel and even iPhone users who get the updates straight away I'm not sure the same is always true

True, I've been thinking the same. The quick updates for the pixel are a draw for me, but on the other hand there are also many stories of "I got my update and it broke this or that", so you may have a point there.

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Did you use a Samsung package disabler or just the normal means of disabling the bloat from the settings menu?
I use bk disabler. Everything can be disabled , no root required.
I've also remapped my Bixby button already as I have no need for Bixby.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung says S8/Note8 wont get Oreo till 2018!! Google released the 8.0 developer preview back in May!! Does it really take them that long to get the software upgraded????

EDIT: Also my unlocked Note8 only has August security patch!!!!

Last edited:

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung says S8/Note8 wont get Oreo till 2018!! Google released the 8.0 developer preview back in May!! Does it really take them that long to get the software upgraded????
Eeeeee... Google is about to release to Developer Preview for Android 8.1 as well.

Updates on non-Google OEMs have always taken a "long" time. That whole process of making sure Android software plays nicely with the OEM software must be super tricky. #SoftwareUpdateLag 🤪

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Eeeeee... Google is about to release to Developer Preview for Android 8.1 as well.

Updates on non-Google OEMs have always taken a "long" time. That whole process of making sure Android software plays nicely with the OEM software must be super tricky. #SoftwareUpdateLag ??????

They all should just put stock Android and add all the extra features with apps.

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What parts of Oreo do you all need besides being the most up to date? Security updates are one thing and that I see being the most important but in terms of Oreo specific features, what is the must haves?

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: Also my unlocked Note8 only has August security patch!!!!

...and ^^this^^ is why I just can't bring myself to go back to Samsung.

My 6P has started randomly rebooting. I don't know what's going on but GSAM's battery statistics reset the last time it auto-rebooted which doesn't happen when I reboot my phone normally. Alas, I fear it's on it's last legs which forces me to hurry up and decide what to do.

I think that, for me, there are only 3-4 phones out there now that are worth considering (and unless Apple changes their mind about real widgets and letting me put icons where I want, no iPhone makes the cut): S8+, N8, V30.

All of these phones cost nearly the same ($750-$1000) and each have merits but, for me, having a truly great camera, timely updates, and long battery life are king so that really only leaves the V30 and the Note 8 (if I yield on updates) and the P2XL.

Try as I might, I just can't like the N8. Though it's feature rich and has a great screen, it's just too damned tall (if I bought it I'd call it 'Beanpole') and a lot more expensive. The V30 costs the same as the Pixel but has the same screen so I'm not really gaining there and they are also notorious for not updating like Samsung. I'm kind of painted into a corner.

I went back and visited all 5 of the P2XLs at our local Verizon outlets and found that none of them have any burn-in and the blue-tint doesn't really bother me on it's own. So, $772 'out the door' cost including $155 Google is offering for my phone, which I can't get at BB or Verizon, I just decided to go ahead and reorder. Crossing my fingers that I get a good one.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
What parts of Oreo do you all need besides being the most up to date? Security updates are one thing and that I see being the most important but in terms of Oreo specific features, what is the must haves?

Fwiw, I find lately I can get most of the best parts of a new update through Nova or Action Launchers . . .

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
They all should just put stock Android and add all the extra features with apps.
Not everything can be achieved via apps. Some need to be system level. On the Note for example, the electric field emitter's drivers must be optimized to play well with Oreo. The Note update is much more difficult to develop for compared to other devices mainly due to the S Pen whose hardware is unique to Samsung. So unlike say Qualcomm who has their own team to develop the drivers for Oreo and Samsung just has to slap that onto their customization, the Note 8's update must be renovated from the driver level.

The S8 is probably delayed just because they don't want update release to be too far from each other.

Also, it could be that the software teams for the S series to receive Oreo (7-9) are working at the same time to save money. For example, there could be just one team working on Samsung Experience 9.0, which will be used on the Oreo update for all devices.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Not everything can be achieved via apps. Some need to be system level. On the Note for example, the electric field emitter's drivers must be optimized to play well with Oreo. The Note update is much more difficult to develop for compared to other devices mainly due to the S Pen whose hardware is unique to Samsung. So unlike say Qualcomm who has their own team to develop the drivers for Oreo and Samsung just has to slap that onto their customization, the Note 8's update must be renovated from the driver level.

The S8 is probably delayed just because they don't want update release to be too far from each other.

Also, it could be that the software teams for the S series to receive Oreo (7-9) are working at the same time to save money. For example, there could be just one team working on Samsung Experience 9.0, which will be used on the Oreo update for all devices.

I love it when intelligent and well-informed people respond in calm and rational ways . . Thank you ☺️

Ken in CA

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Paying $505 (after trade-in), my N8 is an outstanding bargain and a great device. I came from a Note 7 Edge which began showing signs of lagging and developed a verticle red line on the screen. I find the N8 to be everything mentioned above.

That said, I've always wanted to try the pure Android experience and have a 2 XL on order. I am really bummed by the issues it's having as listed on the various sites. I previously cancelled my order and than reordered it again. I'll give it a try hoping I get lucky and have a problem free phone or an updated 2XL. Either way, I still have my Note 8 to fall back on should I have to return the 2XL.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Paying $505 (after trade-in), my N8 is an outstanding bargain and a great device. I came from a Note 7 Edge which began showing signs of lagging and developed a verticle red line on the screen. I find the N8 to be everything mentioned above.

That said, I've always wanted to try the pure Android experience and have a 2 XL on order. I am really bummed by the issues it's having as listed on the various sites. I previously cancelled my order and than reordered it again. I'll give it a try hoping I get lucky and have a problem free phone or an updated 2XL. Either way, I still have my Note 8 to fall back on should I have to return the 2XL.
Seems like less people have the "issues" the more they receive their devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer