"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

SkiBumRuss

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I found a fix.
1. On my PC, in gmail, export all contacts to a file, google.csv, and put it someplace on my PC.
2. Delete all contacts in my phone.
3. Delete all contacts in my gmail account from my PC.
4. Manually add one contact from my PC. It synched OK to my phone.
5. Modify that contact on my phone. It synched OK back to my contacts, at my PC.
6. Import the google.csv file back into contacts, at my PC.
All contacts thereafter synched OK again in both directions.

This took me a day to stumble upon. I tried umpteen other things first, including Contacts Sync Fix from Playstore, with no luck.
I recently adopted Android, and imported about 250 contacts from My Microsoft Outlook application. My guess is that something is not translating, and corrupts the database.
If this recurs, I will try methodically to isolate a particular Contacts record, perhaps with some odd special characters, to find an offending contact.

Last edited:

Q in CA

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
ALSO didn't work:
1. Fix from BLUEFAITH2012 (27 Sep 2013)
2. Added in MAK85's suggestion (8 Nov 2013) of turning Sync off **first** and then repeated BLUEFAITH2012's (only general Google items & problems)

This is what worked for me:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Go to Application Manager
  3. Go to the 'ALL' column which is on the far right hand side
  4. Scroll to an App called "Calendar storage" and tap on it
  5. Tap on "Clear data" and say yes to the popup confirmation
  6. Press the back key 2 times to go back to settings
  7. Go to the Accounts section and tap your Google Account
  8. Tap Sync All at the bottom
  9. Hopefully All will sync and all will be well!

Tried this with "people" and "internet" but it didn't work. I'm on an HTC One with Android 4.0.x

Last edited:

Nf0RC3R1

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I too was facing the same problem and error... i simply reset the phone to factory settings and everything is back to normal... at least so far... i will keep everyone posted if this happens again

Blinkbox

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Jaxxur55 - this fixed my exact problem, you are a star. I am using aCalendar, and the sync with Google Calendar stopped working. I now realise it happened when I uninstalled Google Calendar from my Galaxy S2. I reinstalled it - sync now works. Thank you!

krzdlntk

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey thank you for posting this. It worked and all my events are synced up. Only time will tell if the problem comes back. If it does at least I know a way to fix it :).

i3igi3yrd

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I was having this same issue. Whenever I would disable a "trouble" google app that wouldn't sync, the other would error out. The only way I fixed this was by disabling 2step verification. If you have that set up you might want to try that. I'm going to continue to test to see if I can get it reenabled on my account since I like the added security, but security shouldnt break functionality.

Upon trying to reenable it, i get sync errors again. GG google.

Last edited by a moderator:

jteply13

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you use 2 step verification?

If so, login to your google account using a PC. Then disable it (2 step verification). Save.
Delete your gmail account on your phone and finally just re-add your gmail account. That should fix it!!

palmettobug

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't panic, everone. I had the error message ("Sync is currently experiencing problems. Sync will be back shortly.") on my Droid X1 this morning. After about 6 anxious hours (not exactly "shortly"), the error self-corrected, and the sync function had returned to normal. Patience proved that less is more. In another life we used to say, "If it ain't broke, fix it unil it's broke." I'm a newbie in this forum - hope I've got the right thread.

Last edited:

meeester

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have sync trouble with Go Contacts also. Time to send them a note. Thanks for the tip.
I know this is a little old, and I do not have the tablet, I have a samsung galaxy s2, but I thought I would share my experience with this error.

my particular error came from the contacts not syncing. Everything else would sync fine. It turns out that, so far to date, it was because I was adding phone numbers and contacts through a third party contact application. In this case, it was go contacts ex.

when I added a contact through the native contacts application, everything would sync fine. As of today that is still holding true. so feel free to pass the info along to anyone who may be experiencing similar problem, perhaps this may be of help to them.

Larry

ajf1492

May 9, 2014
Visit site
It may not be your problem, but you get this if you change your google password. You then encounter the problem that you can't update the password on the phone via the Accounts and Sync menu under Settings. You should be able to, but you can't. You can't even delete the account and re-enter the id and new password without losing all the data on your phone. If you force a sync it doesn't even prompt you for the new password. It should. It's seriously broken and it needs fixing.

The solution is to go to 'Market' or 'Google Play' (depending, I think, on whether you changed the password before or after they replaced Market with Play). That will then recognise that your password has changed and ask you for the new one. Then sync will then work.

Good luck.

jayvik

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
For the folks that this still doesn't work for, I have something that may work. I'm pretty sure I read every post and none applied to me but were great posts, since everyone's issue can be a little different on what the resolution may be. For me after try everything including factory reset, it still kept saying "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."!. I even deleted some old contacts that had some garbage. In the end I was just poking around and when into:

1. "Contacts" the app, not through "Accounts and Sync".
2. Touch the "Groups" tab.
3. Scrolled to the bottom to expand the groups for Google.

I noticed a group called Coworkers that I didn't recall having in my contacts on Google. So I logged into Gmail through the desktop browser and went into contacts. Didn't see Coworkers there but it does exist from what was sync'd on the phone. (Sync won't start but it did create the groups on the phone with 0 contacts at least). I couldn't remove the group from the phone so I added the group through Gmail on the desktop browser, and Wah LA! Sync is BACK!!!. (Make sure you add is exactly as you see it on the phone)

Not necessarily the group Coworkers, but any group that you see that was sync'd on your phone but isn't on your contacts on Gmail\Google account, can also cause the issue.

Hope this one also helps.

Ritesh Rambaruth

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
SOLVED: Go to Contacts> Merge with Google> then sync... I can see my phone contacts syncing to my desktop google account now
==================================================================================================
"Some blabla...as if there was not enough of it on the web and multitude of books (but you have to skim through and hopefully one day we find the light)- what a. relief! MY FIRST EVER TECHIE POST!!!
losing over 3000 important contacts along with ur phone can be a terrible thing to live with.Fear & Clutter clog up our minds and stop us from the inborne creativity we are all endowed with. Well that small step solved the problem."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024