Text messages to unknown numbers when connected to internet.

rustawilliams

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought and received an Incredible S and when I originally turned it on, attached my SIM and connected to wifi, my phone started sending messages to unusual numbers of which the only notification given to me what a message from Vodafone such as below:

'Sorry - The destination number 1066666688 does not exist.'

The man who sold me the phone did not recognise the problem and all searches on the internet revealed only Chinese websites which when translated into English made little sense.

The phone continued to send these messages multiple times with the only notification being multiple texts from Vodafone informing me that I was sending texts to a number that did not exist.

After a factory reset, the problem went away but today it returned (3 days after the reset).

The 'destination numbers' also included:

It cycles through these three numbers in batches of 1-4 texts each.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
rustawilliams

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I suppose this is a second hand phone? As I can't imagine a legitimate store selling you this.

I suspect that it's pretty much infested with malware, and it's trying to sign you up for services, only to steal money from your phone account.

Your best bet, would be to "root" the phone, then install a custom ROM, or a RUU of a stock Froyo.This will absolutely clean out all the junk.

This is a common tactic in Europe, especially East Europe. When you send a text, actually you are agreeing for the company in question" to charge you (remove money from your account). Usually once or twice per week. Sometimes more.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
First RUU. Download the RUU (Rom Recovery Unit) for your phone and return it to factory settings. It's best that you do this vs doing a factory reset on the phone. You'll need a PC and the .exe program to get you back.

That should wipe the phone clean - I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later to resolve this issue. You didn't say which phone you have so we can't refer you to a specific forum or how-to. Search the forums for your device and get it back to stock.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
He has an Incredible S

There is certainly a Forum here to find info on your phone, but it seems limited. Probably because the Dinc S wasn't that popular in the states, or was very late arriving.

This link will also help;

[GUIDE] upgrade or root Gingerbread / Froyo, flash custom roms (for S-OFF only) 5/14 - xda-developers

Should give you tips for installing a custom ROM, rooting, etc.

You can always install a stock Froyo RUU, by installing HTC Sync, and running the RUU exe. Usually you can find the stock ROMs at Shipped ROMs

Any questions, let us know....

EDIT: Shipped Roms doesn't have the Dinc S listed.

Try here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-959881.html

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I saw that after I posted and forgot to edit. Thanks for the information, Moscow..

Happens me quite Frequently, especially on Fridays......:p

But that sms scam, is really bad in my area. I had to do a special block through my provider. Here's how some of them do it.

You download a free version of an app from the market or anywhere else. Of course you get some type of advertising. If you accidently brush your finger on the ad, it opens your browser to that web page, and it automatically gets your ph number! Then you get an sms informing you of some service!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You know, I've notice an increase in strategic ad placement in apps that have resulted in an accidental touch. This has been extremely annoying and I'd hate accidentally pressing the ad and being directed to a pop-up. Developers want the add clicks or a purchase of the paid version so I see why this is being done.