The <$4 Freedom 251 may not actually be the deal of the century

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, lots of you may have heard of the Freedom 251, a smartphone made by a little-known Indian company Ringing Bells. The headline figure is that it is less than $4, which is unbelievably cheap, especially when you consider that it has fairly decent hardware for the price. They include;

• A 1.3GHz quad-core processor
  • A 4-inch qHD 960x540 IPS display
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop
  • 8GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 32GB
  • 1GB of RAM

Looks like the deal of the century, especially since it's touting Moto E-like specs for the same price as a bag of Lay's. However, it seems to be pretty shady. Let's break it down.

1) The phone looks nothing like the initial render
When the phone was released, the website showed this picture.
ringing-bells-freedom-251_0.jpg
However, when people got their hands on it, it was painfully clear that the actual device looked NOTHING like what was shown. Ringing Bells has affirmed the error and made the appropriate change.....to the website.
251.PNG
Looks drastically different now, does it?

2) The phone had white-out on the original manufacturer's logo.
witeout1-980x654-840x561.jpg
Notice what's wrong with the picture up top. (Pic by Vishal Mathur). There's white-out on the top. What happens when you scrape it off?
witeout2-980x654-840x561.jpg
(Pic by Vishal Mathur)
Yep. The phone is actually the Adcom Ikon 4, a Chinese-manufactured device for the Indian market. It costs $37 just for the housing. That's way more than the MSRP of the entire F251! Something is definitely amiss here.

3) How is it so cheap?
A phone that costs less than 4 bucks (or 251INR) is certainly going to raise a lot of eyebrows. Just how is it even possible for a company to sell a phone at a price that's actually 1/14th of the price of the Ikon 4 that it is 'based' on. Does the phone even pass India's safety tests? Even when manufacturing is subsidized, this phone can't turn a profit at $4. Something doesn't add up.

I'm not even going to go into the broken website that buckled so hard under the strain of all the demand even though the company could pay for full-page ads on newspapers and how the UX is basically a clear rip-off of iOS. Overall, I just don't think this is the deal of the century. More like the biggest scam of 2016. Right now, I'm just sitting back on my chair, seeing how all this goes.

It still looks like a lot of phone for $4 and it should be a great way to get many Indians who don't have the financial strength to afford a decent phone to use one and get online, but so far, it's pretty darn sketchy.
2016-02-19_14-38-18-840x626.jpg
Yeah, clearly not a ripoff (Picture by Gadget 360)

Last edited:

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
What are you goin to expect for a 4 dollar phone? This. It was too good to be real at the first picture. So i sort of guess it would be some fake advertising. And i was right.

At least its a smartphone for 4 dollar and not a dumbphone.

Btw, does it really run android 5.1?

Posted with ❤Love❤

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What are you goin to expect for a 4 dollar phone? This. It was too good to be real at the first picture. So i sort of guess it would be some fake advertising. And i was right.

At least its a smartphone for 4 dollar and not a dumbphone.

Btw, does it really run android 5.1?

Posted with ❤Love❤

Perhaps we got too excited over the $4 phone since it's packing pretty good hardware for the price.....or looks like it.

But it's too good to be true.

And judging from the status bar, I'm guessing Lollipop.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
My theory is, that a truck of these Adcom phones were either stolen or a few boxes fell out of a truck at some point.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Really a to good to be true deal. I think the big players are trying really hard to hit the entry market - like Moto - so anything that far down in price has to make you wonder if it's real. There has to be some other way for the manufacturer to be making money (services?) to justify a phone (unsubsidized) at that price. Thanks for sharing!

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You couldnt pay me to use a phone like that... Given what my government is trying to do to Apple.

Posted via the Android Central App