The Essential Phone - Yay or Nay?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yay from my side, looks great and love the material choices, stock Android, module add on. No headphone jack doesn't bother me, would have been nice if it had water resistance but not are not deal breakers for me.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
And where exactly should it be on a bezel'less display? If it had a bezel then people would be complaining about that....

Personally I think it's fine and I'd rather have that than a bezel that stretches the entire length of the phone..
Errrmmm, there's a chunk of bezel down at the bottom, they could have just put that bezel at the top rather and put the Camera bin there, I bet the proximity sensor sits in that chunk at the bottom to.
200d45510ff99fe8be997704cfcd73e8.jpg

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
That would be ugly and then you'd have nowhere to hold the phone
People seem to be quite happy with how the Mi Mix turned out. Either way, I think Samsung and LG are the 2 who have managed make this whole "almost bezeless" thing work, these other companies are taking things a bit far, the camera in the Display makes no sense at all on something that people want to consume content on.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'll have to play with one. I'm also unsure about a brand new device from a brand new company. How good is the build quality?

NateHevens

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I know that there are people who say it's not needed, but I need a removable battery, expandable storage, a headphone jack, and the ability to choose between wired and wireless charging. But that's just me...

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Interesting!

Like:
  • Size: This is perfect for me. Finally a large display in a small body.
  • Materials. No horrid glass, hurray! Hopefully the titanium and ceramic is less reflective and not too much of a fingerprint magnet. I like to use phones naked, so less bling more grip.
  • Design looks nice. Front camera is ok for me. Presumably when watching video it doesn't expand to that area.
  • No curved display!
  • Rear dual-camera. I really like the Huawei dual-camera setup, the monochrome snaps are gorgeous.

Dislike:
  • Small battery. Larger battery should have been possible especially after removing the headphone jack...
  • Not waterproof
  • No 3.5mm audio jack. I dislike adapters
  • The back is not curved so not sure about in-hand feel/ergonomics...
  • VR compatible?
  • Expensive! Unless they have physical stores, international support, huge marketing like Apple/Samsung, why so expensive?
  • US only :(

A lot of questions remain though:
  • International release and support?
  • S/W updates?
  • Where's the earpiece?
  • NLED? (important for me)
  • Dual-sim? (important for me)

Always nice to see new competition.

Last edited:

Ax666

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Definetely nay, months of buzz and teasers and my reaction is pretty much: Swipe left "Tinder" style and move to something else...

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Um, have you seen the LG G6?

Yeah but by dimensions, that phone is far from being actually compact. It scores a lot of screen into it's size but it's just not.

While this phone on the other hand is around the size of the Nexus 5 and shorter than the regular size Pixel. If you put it on Phone Arena's size compare, you will see the massive difference for yourself.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Errrmmm, there's a chunk of bezel down at the bottom, they could have just put that bezel at the top rather and put the Camera bin there, I bet the proximity sensor sits in that chunk at the bottom to.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/200d45510ff99fe8be997704cfcd73e8.jpg

Yuck... I dig it the way it is.. It's different and I personally think it looks fine..

Yeah but by dimensions, that phone is far from being actually compact. It scores a lot of screen into it's size but it's just not.

While this phone on the other hand is around the size of the Nexus 5 and shorter than the regular size Pixel. If you put it on Phone Arena's size compare, you will see the massive difference for yourself.

Agree! I am a smaller phone person. Love the Z3 C, Z5C, X Compact ect.. The largest phones I've had is the Pixel (non XL) and it was pushing it's size... The Nexus 5 for me at least was the perfect size..

The Essential is smaller than the Pixel and only slightly larger than the Nexus 5 all the while packing a massive screen...

Screenshot_2017-05-31_at_05.23.55.png

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
At this "point in time" will be a Nay from me.

A new company(with no history) and their first new phone makes me hesitant to reserve their very first phone .

Build Quality, Performance ??

He was/had to be evasive on a few of his answers , just to many unknowns still for me

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At this "point in time" will be a Nay from me.

A new company(with no history) and their first new phone makes me hesitant to reserve their very first phone .

Build Quality, Performance ??

He was/had to be evasive on a few of his answers , just to many unknowns still for me

But but but Andy Rubin!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Nay
Very hard to buy first phone from company.
Seems expensive .

I think the phone looks fantastic, it's got all the right specs to make it a flagship 2017 device but I would have to agree. Would rather wait a couple months or even till the next device is launched to ensure all bugs are worked out with the first one :)

Would love to hold it in my hand and see how that screen wraps around the front facing camera 😃

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Bugs? It's Android... LOL

The bugs will never be worked out.. Right when they get close the next version of Android is launched. I don't really know what bugs could arise that are not already know. It's not using new internals and it's not using a custom OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174