The Google Message App and Gmail notifications keep sounding when I open new messages or email.

Mar 29, 2019
Visit site
The notification tone keeps sounding when I open a new message or new email. I use Google's Gmail app and Google Message app. I have cleared the cache, changed the settings, etc. The problem continues. The tone sounds like a CD or record that is skipping and lasts for about 20 seconds.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Which phone do you have? Does this happen in Safe Mode as well?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. So now, instead of that strange record-skipping tone, there's nothing at all for Gmail? Have you already tried changing the default notification tone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify -- are you saying the default Gmail notification tone worked, but when you tried to change it to another tone, it stopped sounding? Is it another preinstalled tone you changed it to, or a custom tone?

Mar 29, 2019
Visit site
The notification tones I am using are all preinstalled tones. The notifications now all work for GMail and the Messages app. The GMail did not work in SAFE MODE.

I wish I could uninstall and reinstall the apps. The tone continually sounding for twenty to thirty seconds whenever I open a text or an email is getting exceptionally annoying.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the same phone and ops, on Verizon. I don't get that issue/problem but sometimes I get no sound but that's interment.