The new HTC One (M8) vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: The new HTC One vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

You guys are love talking about cameras, lol. What exactly are you taking pictures of that make you such hard-core camera fans?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

You guys are love talking about cameras, lol. What exactly are you taking pictures of that make you such hard-core camera fans?

Nothing that affects their livelihood. I'm almost sure of that. I think people just don't want to see the HTC phones "slammed" which is totally understandable.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Nothing that affects their livelihood. I'm almost sure of that. I think people just don't want to see the HTC phones "slammed" which is totally understandable.

The subject of the pictures I take with devices doesn't affect my livelihood, but what I say about those pictures and camera performance could.

I don't care if HTC or Samsung get "slammed" personally. People have preferences based on use cases. I get that and agree. What I don't like is when people (anyone, not being specific) think that their use case is the same as everyone else or is somehow more important than everyone else's and thinks it's the absolute baseline for whatever the topic of discussion is.

Personally, I have historically not like TouchWiz. At all. That doesn't stop me from looking at newer versions of TouchWiz with an open mind. It also doesn't mean that experiencing newer versions of TouchWiz can't or won't change my mind. Speaking of that, the new version of TouchWiz (pretty sure what's on the Tab Pro is the same as S5, or is at least very similar) is pretty nice. Magazine UX is pretty good, and the design is much "better" IMO.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The subject of the pictures I take with devices doesn't affect my livelihood, but what I say about those pictures and camera performance could.

I don't care if HTC or Samsung get "slammed" personally. People have preferences based on use cases. I get that and agree. What I don't like is when people (anyone, not being specific) think that their use case is the same as everyone else or is somehow more important than everyone else's and thinks it's the absolute baseline for whatever the topic of discussion is.

Personally, I have historically not like TouchWiz. At all. That doesn't stop me from looking at newer versions of TouchWiz with an open mind. It also doesn't mean that experiencing newer versions of TouchWiz can't or won't change my mind. Speaking of that, the new version of TouchWiz (pretty sure what's on the Tab Pro is the same as S5, or is at least very similar) is pretty nice. Magazine UX is pretty good, and the design is much "better" IMO.

My camera focuses much faster in daytime, btw. I made sure to check that. I can whip it out and take a picture without issue. I checked that as well.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I work for a sign company here in NYC so when I'm done with a job out on the field, I take shots of the finished work and bring them back and upload them to our server so our clients can see the finished results. I get complimented on my pictures especially when taken in daylight with my S3. Having a good camera is ideal for my use.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

The camera on a smartphone is very important for most consumers.

Everyone needs a camera, I'm just saying that there seems to be a lot of discussion and whatnot on it, when I feel and know that a good portion of the overall camera usage will just be forselfies and food pictures for Instagram

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

Everyone needs a camera, I'm just saying that there seems to be a lot of discussion and whatnot on it, when I feel and know that a good portion of the overall camera usage will just be forselfies and food pictures for Instagram

I don't agree. More and more people are ditching their point and shoots for their smartphone camera. And for taking important photos that can end up in a frame like at a wedding or graduation or vacation. Even a selfie can be a photo between 2 people that means something down the road. The discussion in this thread is just very technical regarding the camera and video vs Samsung.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Do you know anything about the S5 camera tech? Cause you don't sound like you do.

I don't see anything HTC is doing as innovative. They put out a shabby camera called it something cure and then told us it's for Facebookers and we shouldn't be crying about the poor quality.

It's not my fault other OEMs let the it customers have their cake and eat it, while HTC is failing to deliver quality in that area.

Why don't you tell us the S5 camera secrets, because what I've seen in release media was a turn off...
The only let down on One's camera was the MP, other than that: HTC Zoe, HTC highlights, Low light performance are winner innovative features. At least HTC is experimenting new techs, it's called research, you have to look at fails as stairs to inventions. No risk no game..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

My camera focuses much faster in daytime, btw. I made sure to check that. I can whip it out and take a picture without issue. I checked that as well.

So does mine...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Why don't you tell us the S5 camera secrets, because what I've seen in release media was a turn off...
The only let down on One's camera was the MP, other than that: HTC Zoe, HTC highlights, Low light performance are winner innovative features. At least HTC is experimenting new techs, it's called research, you have to look at fails as stairs to inventions. No risk no game..

Samsung is experimenting with newer techs as well.

There is Animated Picture in the Note 3 Camera, among other things. Zoe does not do much that the Note 3 camera cannot do, but the Samsung Camera software does do a number of things better than the One Camera, and quite a few things the One Camera cannot do, like 60FPS Full-HD, 4K Recording, etc. I don't have time to fiddle with Zoe just to create a Drama Shot. Give me camera modes and let me just do what I want to do faster and more efficiently. Time is money.

Both companies are innovating with their camera tech. Only difference is that Samsung is doing it in a way that is useful for everyone, while HTC is attacking a certain market segment. I'd say the last generation of devices Samsung has been a bit more successful.

Going with the 4MP was not a risk so much as it was a pretty bad design decision. HTC could have gone with slightly smaller pixels but a higher resolution and still delivered decent Low Light shots, like the Nokia or Apple camera phones. They didn't have to take it to the extreme that they did. The low resolution affects pictures taken in all lighting conditions, so it not only hurt them in daylight shots, but also in the night time shots where they could have run away from the competition. Instead, they ended up in a position that while the light in the shot was decent, the detail still sucked compared to iPhone, Samsung, Sony, and Nokia devices due to the really low resolution of the images.

A lot of the Zoe features were in the S3/Note 2. I wouldn't really call it a game changer, or really all that innovative :)

I don't think putting big pixels on a sensor and pumping out low resolution images is that innovative, either...

Their ImageChip was innovative when the One X came out, though, but almost everyone is using a dedicated ISP in their camera phones/flagships these days. Samsung and Apple surely are, and I think Sony and LG are as well.

Everyone takes risks. It's not about avoiding risk, it's about making sure you take the right risks. Rumors are the Duo cameras will pump out 16MP and if that's true then perhaps they learned from the obvious mistake of the One camera setup.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

both the new S5 and HTC One 2 M8 suck worse than yesterday's chihuahua....

I had high hopes for the S5, until it came out and ruined my upgrade plan. Then I started looking at the new HTC One 2 M8... unfortunately, based on what i've seen here, it also is going to give me little reason to upgrade. :(

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just going to clarify on Zoe. You tap an icon and turn it on or off. That's it. No "fiddling". It's not even buried in a menu anywhere.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

original

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Just going to clarify on Zoe. You tap an icon and turn it on or off. That's it. No "fiddling". It's not even buried in a menu anywhere.

Just to clarify on what I wrote.

If you want to make a drama shot on a One, you have to fiddle with Zoe: Turn it on. Record. Select/Open the file. Edit. Remove parts you don't want. Save.

On Samsung devices you: switch to drama shot mode and shoot. It's simple.

No fiddling with Zoe or Zoes. Zoe does nothing but Complicate a ton of things that you can accomplish in seconds on other devices. Samsung devices can already do a lot of the stuff Zoe does, but without the unnecessary complication Zoe introduces.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just to clarify on what I wrote.

If you want to make a drama shot on a One, you have to fiddle with Zoe: Turn it on. Record. Select/Open the file. Edit. Remove parts you don't want. Save.

On Samsung devices you: switch to drama shot mode and shoot. It's simple.

No fiddling with Zoe or Zoes. Zoe does nothing but Complicate a ton of things that you can accomplish in seconds on other devices. Samsung devices can already do a lot of the stuff Zoe does, but without the unnecessary complication Zoe introduces.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

A Zoe is a three second clip. You don't edit them.

Are you thinking Highlight? The 30 second auto video made from pics/Zoe's/videos taken during an event?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

A Zoe is a three second clip. You don't edit them.

Are you thinking Highlight? The 30 second auto video made from pics/Zoe's/videos taken during an event?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To get a drama shot on a One you must use a Zoe.

That's how it's done on that phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick