The new HTC One (M8) vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: The new HTC One vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

To get a drama shot on a One you must use a Zoe.

That's how it's done on that phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Click one button not buried under any menus. Press shutter button. Done. Press Zoe button again to go back to standard shots.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Which still isn't exactly the same thing. Drama shot is different.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. Click one button not buried under any menus. Press shutter button. Done. Press Zoe button again to go back to standard shots.

Umm... have you EVER done this on a One? Ever? Tried, even?

http://youtu.be/V0Rqm6WnrFA

That is not buried under one button.

You have to record the Zoe then go I to Gallery and do all the other stuff. It's needlessly complicated. You can also do this from burst shots but the S4 Drama Mode takes way more frames anyways so it's still superior and the One is still needlessly complicated.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

You have to record the Zoe then go I to Gallery and do all the other stuff. It's needlessly complicated. You can also do this from burst shots but the S4 Drama Mode takes way more frames anyways so it's still superior and the One is still needlessly complicated.

Now I understand what you're saying. Got it. You're right. The One doesn't have an equivalent feature to Drama shot. I misread your post. My bad.

To get a 30 second Highlight on the S4/Note 3 what would you have to do? On the One it's simple. (Both camera apps have unique things they can do is the point)

You keep changing directions in the discussion. Show me a mode that makes that camera faster in every situation than the One. Or even as fast. That was my point with the One camera. Speed.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Now I understand what you're saying. Got it. You're right. The One doesn't have an equivalent feature to Drama shot. I misread your post. My bad.

To get a 30 second Highlight on the S4/Note 3 what would you have to do? On the One it's simple. (Both camera apps have unique things they can do is the point)

You keep changing directions in the discussion. Show me a mode that makes that camera faster in every situation than the One. Or even as fast. That was my point with the One camera. Speed.

It has equivalent an feature. Just needlessly buried. A fast camera like the One is useful for sports, and they buried a clutch feature for that market, IMO.

The S4 has a Sports mode that speeds up the shutter. Lol @ every situation though. Covering all bases there?

And I'm not changing directions. I was clarifying a statement that was misunderstood. I'm over that discussion, Lol.

No one is going to change anyone else's requirements or preferences.

On the S4 or One you can let a Google do highlights for you free for you.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It has equivalent an feature. Just needlessly buried. A fast camera like the One is useful for sports, and they buried a clutch feature for that market, IMO.

The S4 has a Sports mode that speeds up the shutter.

And I'm not changing directions. I was clarifying a statement that was misunderstood. I'm over that discussion, Lol.

No one is going to change anyone else's requirements or preferences.

On the S4 or One you can let a Google do highlights for you free for you.

So keep it in sports mode all the time to get the speed I need? Does that also improve focus speed?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

So keep it in sports mode all the time to get the speed I need? Does that also improve focus speed?

You can if you choose to. The camera is not slow so you don't have to :)

If you're shooting running kids you'll probably get better results with the sports mode on any smartphone anyways.

Changing modes Is less of an issue on this phone, because it can be done so quickly. That must be kept in perspective.

vapu9e6y.jpg

pa3u6y8a.jpg

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

No you don't. You can turn burst shots into "drama" shots. You do not need to create a Zoe. Where did you get that false information from?

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

No you don't. You can turn burst shots into "drama" shots. You do not need to create a Zoe. Where did you get that false information from?

Read, much?

Drama model is 100 snaps in 4 seconds. You're not going to get anything near that with Sequence shots. Zoe is actually the way to go with the One for Drama Mode type shots since the video has a higher frame rate than the camera captures in burst mode.

Keep in mind for sports a whole element can happen in 0.6 seconds in the air. The frame rate is crucial for that stuff since a low frame rate with out of focus burst shots can leave you with worthless material to compose the final image.

The S4 is generally a little faster than the iPhone for burst shots anyways so even if you were going that route (Assuming I had a One) I would probably still have the other person shoot the higher resolution bursts with his S4 then beam them over and use them to compose the final image on the One if possible (though that's impractical since he can just do it on his phone natively and share the result to me).

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

No you don't have to use Zoe. All you have to do is hold the shutter button down and then anytime later you can go in a edit what shots you want to keep as your Sequence shot. With the S4 you have hit drama shot and then edit what shots you want in the drama shot before you can take another picture.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

if today's rumor of htc only releasing the one on verizon tuesday and everyone else 2+ weeks later is true this company is all but dead. its almost like they want to fail.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

No you don't have to use Zoe. All you have to do is hold the shutter button down and then anytime later you can go in a edit what shots you want to keep as your Sequence shot. With the S4 you have hit drama shot and then edit what shots you want in the drama shot before you can take another picture.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Read, much?

Drama model is 100 snaps in 4 seconds. You're not going to get anything near that with Sequence shots. Zoe is actually the way to go with the One for Drama Mode type shots since the video has a higher frame rate than the camera captures in burst mode.

Keep in mind for sports a whole element can happen in 0.6 seconds in the air. The frame rate is crucial for that stuff since a low frame rate with out of focus burst shots can leave you with worthless material to compose the final image.

The S4 is generally a little faster than the iPhone for burst shots anyways so even if you were going that route (Assuming I had a One) I would probably still have the other person shoot the higher resolution bursts with his S4 then beam them over and use them to compose the final image on the One if possible (though that's impractical since he can just do it on his phone natively and share the result to me).

My English language might not be the most polished, but if I want to create a sequence of shots with the HTC One, Zoe mode isn't the only way to accomplish this. So are we referring to the ability to assemble multiple frames into a single composition? If so, then I'm not understanding how my statement is invalid.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

On the S4 or Note you can get a highlight just by going to auto awesome. You can choose the default highlight or make your own. It's no longer unique to the One.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

On the S4 or Note you can get a highlight just by going to auto awesome. You can choose the default highlight or make your own. It's no longer unique to the One.

Can you use auto-awesome on any phone now to make a highlight? Or is that a Samsung add-on?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's more time consuming and more basic. It's analogous to the process of making a drama shot on the One versus the S4/Note 3.

Auto Awesome doesn't appear to apply any sort of photo effects (at least not with any sort of variance), transitions, or anything else of that nature. It's a slideshow set to music. Very basic.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

It's more time consuming and more basic. It's analogous to the process of making a drama shot on the One versus the S4/Note 3.

Auto Awesome doesn't appear to apply any sort of photo effects (at least not with any sort of variance), transitions, or anything else of that nature. It's a slideshow set to music. Very basic.

Maybe you haven't used auto awesome lately? It is far from basic and far more customizable the HTCs implementation. Try it again., it's much more than a slide show.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Maybe you haven't used auto awesome lately? It is far from basic and far more customizable the HTCs implementation. Try it again., it's much more than a slide show.

Unless the auto-awesome allows you to select the audio track, control the length of the highlight real, explicitly select the portion of the audio to be included in the highlight, allow the transitions and effects to be synced with the audio content, etc, then how is it far more customizable than HTCs implementation? What can be done with auto-awesome (when implemented as a collage type multimedia feature) that can't be done with the highlight reel feature?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Unless the auto-awesome allows you to select the audio track, control the length of the highlight real, explicitly select the portion of the audio to be included in the highlight, allow the transitions and effects to be synced with the audio content, etc, then how is it far more customizable than HTCs implementation? What can be done with auto-awesome (when implemented as a collage type multimedia feature) that can't be done with the highlight reel feature?

Length can be controlled and audio can be selected from the choices they give you. Don't think you can add your own audio yet but I can't on my one either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick