The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
So I became impatient after waiting so long and decided to side load my nexus about 4 days ago. My analysis so far:
1. The phone runs smooth without the amount of occasional lag as it used to in 5.0
2. Battery life seems a little better but not much
3. I do however have apps crash time to time that would not when I was on 5.0.
Overall the "maintenance" update seems to be a positive step towards a better OS.
Now I have to wait for my N7 to get house cleaning . . .

Posted via the Android Central App

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Camera fails...screen froze with dark image.
Uninstalled camera updates:
Settings/Apps/All/Camera
Reboot.
App now shows V2.4.018.
Camera working now.

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Everything OK on my Nexus 5. Fast, reactive, and incredibly smooth. Maybe battery life is improved, I need a couple of days to test it.
5.0.1 was a disaster, now everything works fine. Well done, Google. Now I can wait the next big Android update.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting I just checked to see what version I had and it shows V2.4.025

That would be the current Google Play version.
I just had a barrage of updates come thru...including Camera.
Current Camera version now works on my N5...interesting!
I am going to reboot and check camera again...as soon as I charge the battery!
Following reboot....camara now OK on V2.4.025.
I guess that was some kind of a burp!

BTW: During the last 48 hours, I had one cycle of very fast battery loss...aka V5.01.
I rebooted and battery behavior has been V5.1 ish since then!
The battery stats gave me no idea what caused the fast drain.

Last edited:

Trader05

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine was fine since I've updated a week ago. Tonight I had a random reboot, then in my car i was listening to music through bluetooth and my phone just turned off. Couldn't get it back on with button combo or charging cable. I eventually had to take apart the phone, disconnect the battery and reconnect. Turned back on immediately and it was "updating apps" for about 10 mins. I thought this phone was a goner.

33N

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Almost a week, and Lollipop is making me very sad. My call volume is now very low.
When using my bluetooth headset, the other end has problems hearing me.
When using the the handset directly, I have trouble hearing the other person.
Once a call starts, the quality does not vary unless I change the device I use to talk/hear (!?)
These may have been incoming google voice calls, just to complicate things a bit.

On other fronts, the upgrade made a mess of my setup with pixelphone pro.
(I think the default google dailer and hangouts are both poor apps).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Almost a week, and Lollipop is making me very sad. My call volume is now very low.
When using my bluetooth headset, the other end has problems hearing me.
When using the the handset directly, I have trouble hearing the other person.
Once a call starts, the quality does not vary unless I change the device I use to talk/hear (!?)
These may have been incoming google voice calls, just to complicate things a bit.

On other fronts, the upgrade made a mess of my setup with pixelphone pro.
(I think the default google dailer and hangouts are both poor apps).

did you start fresh with a factory reset?

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I still have my phone radio randomly eating battery; a reboot sorts it. Otherwise I've no issues.

I very rarely use my phone as a phone.....

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hm, now I'm even more worried to download the update. The phone will eventually do it itself, that happened before. Sigh.

I downloaded the update and it actually worked better! Don't be worried! Also I don't think it can update itself. It never happened to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be a lucky dip, reading the comments. My experience is only positive, 5.1 seems a little faster, and most times I get two days out of the battery now, and occasionally three days, whereas that was becoming less common with 4.4.2 and 5.01 as my battery aged (my Nexus 5 is a May 2014 build). Nothing has been broken or impaired by 5.1 (my problems with SmartLock's Trusted Places I understand to be a Google Play Services fault, and certainly happened to me before I d/l 5.1). I'd thoroughly recommend the 5.1 update... but plenty of people have had problems with 5.0 that have not been resolved by 5.1.

Anyway, in 6 months time we'll be reading "Android M is dreadful! How do I revert back to Android Lollipop?" You just can't please all of the people all of the time.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Was there an update to the Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1 this past Saturday, 4/11? I looked at my phone at around 07:55 Saturday morning and the screen had the "optimizing apps progress" display in it. The N5 rebooted and everything appeared to be OK. Checked the software version and it still said 5.1. I got home late Saturday night and realized I had no WiFi connection. Apparently the "update" cleared all my saved networks. I had to add back my home WiFi network as well as my sister's. Anyone else experience a situation like this?

Regards...JL

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Was there an update to the Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1 this past Saturday, 4/11? I looked at my phone at around 07:55 Saturday morning and the screen had the "optimizing apps progress" display in it. The N5 rebooted and everything appeared to be OK. Checked the software version and it still said 5.1. I got home late Saturday night and realized I had no WiFi connection. Apparently the "update" cleared all my saved networks. I had to add back my home WiFi network as well as my sister's. Anyone else experience a situation like this?

Regards...JL

That happened to me too. It happens if your phone shuts off during boot up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk