The Nexus 6P Camera - Preliminary by DxOMark

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One example of why I like tests rather than just looking at it is when I see someone say, "this shot had more accurate colors, but the other looked better" and then they give the win to "the other". I understand WHY they're doing that, but it is technically incorrect. Now, I don't think that DXO and others have figured out the end all of camera analysis, but their methodology is definitely better than having some random person take random shots with their unknown skill level and make observations with their unknown knowledge level.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
One example of why I like tests rather than just looking at it is when I see someone say, "this shot had more accurate colors, but the other looked better" and then they give the win to "the other". I understand WHY they're doing that, but it is technically incorrect. Now, I don't think that DXO and others have figured out the end all of camera analysis, but their methodology is definitely better than having some random person take random shots with their unknown skill level and make observations with their unknown knowledge level.

There's definitely some minor value in their tests. But I'll put more value in someone like Dpreview that will let you compare the same scenes side by side, in studio where the conditions don't change, performed by someone who knows what they are doing, and see for myself.

Photography is about the visual I see, not what a computer tells me I should see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's definitely some minor value in their tests. But I'll put more value in someone like Dpreview that will let you compare the same scenes side by side, in studio where the conditions don't change, performed by someone who knows what they are doing, and see for myself.

Photography is about the visual I see, not what a computer tells me I should see.

I like dpreview a lot. About half of the almost nothing I know about photography I learned from them.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Photography tests are a tricky bunch, especially with mobile phones. The issue with a lot of them is there are a bunch of unknowns. Specifically a lot of those 'x vs. y' articles we see aren't all that useful. Why? There's nothing to compare. Rarely, if ever, do any of these comparisons toss up baseline images from a high quality DSLR. Like its been said, we're taking a reviewer's word on how accurate the colors of the resulting pics are. Now, color accuracy is only one component....

Another thing I've noticed, and is also rarely mentioned... there is a lot of variability in the pictures even on the exact same phone. You can take the same shot several times and you can get different results each time. You rely on the little electronic brain to decide what to focus on, what to pick for the white balance or exposure point, etc. It bascially looks at what you are pointing at and makes an educated guess. Now, with phones, it is important how well it does the 'dash and flash' pics where you don't have the time to worry about it, but that's not always a good way to compare phones.

So when I see the comparison pictures with comments like "it overexposed the clouds" I wonder.. .Did it honestly blow out the clouds? Or did it just pick a dark portion of the frame and you didn't go back in to double check it.

I've seen some articles with DSLRs where they try to make as many things equal as possible.... which isn't exactly feasible with a phone (not all come with full manual controls yet).

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the 6s+ just took over top spot on DXO.

So, I checked up on this and what I found is numerous tech sites are misleadingly implying SuperSafTV's statements and comparisons are from DxO.

He's not affiliated with DxO. Man, tech journalism in general is just regurgitated garbage.

Anyways, the video I linked a few posts above is from SuperSaf. He's my go to guy for camera comparisons. Unbiased and you can interpret the results for yourselves.

Based on his prior comparisons, S6 > 6S > Z5.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
At tenth place: lower than previously iPhone 6? What?

1 - 7 occupied by Android phones! Hmm not bad an achievement for us to be proud of hehehe

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well guys, the first reviews are out and it can't beat iPhone in daylight. A number of reviews report losing detail in clouds and over saturated sky in bright day light. A bit of a bummer.
DxOMark said it beats iPhone. Well... I was hoping it was true.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Well guys, the first reviews are out and it can't beat iPhone in daylight. A number of reviews report losing detail in clouds and over saturated sky in bright day light. A bit of a bummer.

Have you used the phone for yourself to make judgement base on your experience?

Posted via the Android Central App

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
A number of reviews? Meaning more than one? I think not. Other than ArsTechnica, what other reviews say that? I've read several (five) so far, and none of them (except ArsTechnica) say anything like that. The reviews have all been very positive so far. Even ArsTechnica says the camera is excellent. Let's keep things in perspective and not exaggerate. Your comment is from one review, citing one type of picture (in bright sunshine where the clouds were not the focal point). The rest of the image was actually beautiful. Also, from that same review, the rest of the Nexus images were either better or even with the iPhone.

Here's a review roundup from 9to5Google that summarizes several reviews from other sites (including Android Central). In just about every case, the reviews are positive: http://9to5google.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review-roundup/

So, I'm going to reserve judgement until I have mine, and not take one reviewer's nit-pick as a condemnation of the phones or their cameras.

Last edited:

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
A number of reviews? Meaning more than one? I think not. Other than ArsTechnica, what other reviews say that? I've read several (five) so far, and none of them (except ArsTechnica) say anything like that. The reviews have all been very positive so far. Even ArsTechnica says the camera is excellent. Let's keep things in perspective and not exaggerate. Your comment is from one review, citing one type of picture (in bright sunshine where the clouds were not the focal point). The rest of the image was actually beautiful. Also, from that same review, the rest of the Nexus images were either better or even with the iPhone.

Here's a review roundup from 9to5Google that summarizes several reviews from other sites (including Android Central). In just about every case, the reviews are positive: http://9to5google.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review-roundup/

So, I'm going to reserve judgement until I have mine, and not take one reviewer's nit-pick as a condemnation of the phones or their cameras.

When I said 'a number of reviews', it is a number of reviews. Not one. Perhaps it is you who haven't read enough reviews.
I was talking about losing detail in the cloud in bright daylight, which I indeed found in a number of reviews.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The pictures with blown out clouds were captured with HDR off. Ain't no phone gonna capture that kind of image properly without HDR.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
From what I'm seeing, the problem most reviewers have isn't with the camera itself but, rather, with the camera app. Google's camera app is very bare bones and doesn't allow for much manual adjustment. For Google, I think they have found that a basic camera app works the best, and then "professionals" will buy a camera app that gives them the functionality they want/need in a camera.