The Nexus 6P Camera - Preliminary by DxOMark

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From what I'm seeing, the problem most reviewers have isn't with the camera itself but, rather, with the camera app. Google's camera app is very bare bones and doesn't allow for much manual adjustment. For Google, I think they have found that a basic camera app works the best

I think that is mostly it. The GC is really basic.... and I think that they keep it TOO basic in order for it to be used across pretty much every device. So to have it work everywhere, they sacrifice device-specific features. There are some really good 3rd party camera apps.... but GC does have a killer function... HDR+ (only available on Nexus phones) is awesome. Since they fixed the speed of processing in 2.5, it can be used on pretty much any picture that doesn't have movement/action.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well guys, the first reviews are out and it can't beat iPhone in daylight. A number of reviews report losing detail in clouds and over saturated sky in bright day light. A bit of a bummer.
DxOMark said it beats iPhone. Well... I was hoping it was true.

Wow, talk about jumping the gun. First off any "review" of the phone done in the US needs to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. Anything more than an initial impressions at this point is definitely rushed and to make such an absolute statement like that is crazy.

Name some of them.

Yup! Always cite sources, you don't want to end up like this guy...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-6-0-marshmallow/533682-will-2013-nexus-7-get-android-m.html

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting that even The iVerge gave the camera a positive "review". I use quotes because I don't know how much time or effort they truly gave to the review, and as others have said, I can't put too much stock in a 48-hour weekend review. I'd have more faith in a week or two-week period review.

Nonetheless, here is their review in video format. I haven't read their written review yet.

https://youtu.be/jG5pJ1jsdEM

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
lol. no more reply after that. some people just blow it out of proposion

People tend to believe what they want to believe, and ignore or reject what conflicts with their preconceived notions.

I've already made up my mind that I want the Nexus 6P. The reviews are just entertainment for me. Light reading. There has been nothing discovered thus far that would make me cancel my order.

With that said, I'm not going to just swallow all the praise (or the criticism) of reviews from one weekend of use, no matter who publishes the review.

Still, it's nice to see some positive first impressions of my favorite line of phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
2015-10-27.png

Updated to top 15; Droid Turbo 2 announced today tied the 6P on score.