The Note 7 Battery life Thread

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is something I've been doing with all my devices since Marshmallow was released, and because that I had already forgotten that it was like that until today. For some strange reason or maybe a possible Marshmallow bug, there was news that people were having bigger battery drain with Wifi on than off, before that it was commonly known that having Wifi on all the time was better for the battery than having to use LTE all day. Immediately after I got Marshmallow in the device at had at the moment I also noticed that it was also true for me, Wifi was causing issues and a lot more battery drain than usual.

Fast Forward months and about 4 devices later and since that time I haven't turn Wifi On except for when it's Charging (I'm using MacroDroid for that without my intervention) and my battery has been basically better than most, if I may say it, when I compare to other users of the S7 edge, S7, HTC 10 and Axon 7.

Today I remembered this, and I decided to do a test for the first time on my Axon 7, that for the past 2 weeks since I got it, has been nothing less than exceptional in battery life, and I left Wifi on since I unplugged it at 5:00am, now it's 1:20pm and with just 55 minutes of SOT I'm at 84%, not bad for many but poor for me, with Wifi off, like I've been always averaging 8-9 hours of SOT (4 hours of SOT when I go to sleep and at or around 50%) and with the same SOT as of today I've always been at this time at around 90%. So what I'm saying is that even when it's still good battery life, today with Wifi on I'm averaging between 5.5-6 hours of SOT, when I normally can get about 8 with Wifi off.

So for those of you that can give it a try or have unlimited data and really doesn't matter having Wifi on or off, you can try for one or various day with WIFI off to see if it also helps you. I know it's has been simply great for me, if more people confirms this then it's obvious something is still wrong with WIFI settings in general on Marshmallow and it's not just a Samsung thing.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how some of you manage to get these result... I get 9-10 hours on battery with only 3hrs of sot! Don't tell me this is because I don't have good signal!!!! I have good signal, and it couldn't be the reason why I get half your battery life!!! Please tell us how you do it!!!!
I don't do anything drastic.

Location > OFF while at home
Wifi scanning > always OFF, this is a big battery killer for me
BT > OFF until I get in my car
LTE > ON, I have unlimited data so I use LTE 90% of the time usually 2-3 bars
Charging > I charge it until it's full and then I unplug it right away. My Note 5 charged all night and I did the same things as above and it would be dead by noon. I use Fast Charging.
Reboot > I reboot once a week.
Apps > I have around 100 apps, that I manually downloaded and set up, I DID NOT USE SMART SWITCH. I think this is another big battery killer.
Bloat > I used package disabler pro and froze most of the Samsung stuff except for Samsung + and calendar, most of the Sprint stuff including Flipboard, and any other installed apps that I don't use, Google play music etc.

And that's about it. I have all the other Samsung goodies turned on.

I hope this helps if I remember anything else I'll add an addendum. 😊

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
This is mine today. I woke up at 8am and have been on it pretty much all day so far it's 1:30 ish for me. I'm on Sprint (cdma) SD 820

546a2efac8decbf397155c1eee7097ae.jpg

e14a6f2c9394e0ca0f8a51fe34045633.jpg

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't do anything drastic.

Location > OFF while at home
Wifi scanning > always OFF, this is a big battery killer for me
BT > OFF until I get in my car
LTE > ON, I have unlimited data so I use LTE 90% of the time usually 2-3 bars
Charging > I charge it until it's full and then I unplug it right away. My Note 5 charged all night and I did the same things as above and it would be dead by noon. I use Fast Charging.
Reboot > I reboot once a week.
Apps > I have around 100 apps, that I manually downloaded and set up, I DID NOT USE SMART SWITCH. I think this is another big battery killer.
Bloat > I used package disabler pro and froze most of the Samsung stuff except for Samsung + and calendar, most of the Sprint stuff including Flipboard, and any other installed apps that I don't use, Google play music etc.

And that's about it. I have all the other Samsung goodies turned on.

I hope this helps if I remember anything else I'll add an addendum. 😊
I'm gonna do everything you said cause I've never managed to get more than 3,5 hours ever. Yours look like a dream.
There are two things that attract my attention a lot.

1. Unplugging as soon as you hit 100%?are you sure this makes a lot of impact? I've hear that more modern phones don't have that kind of needs and manage themselves on their own. I would think it stops pulling juice when it hits 100 automatically

2. I used smart switched! Why do you think it makes a difference? It would be such a hassle to reset my phone to factory now and re do everything manually but if it makes my sot go from 3 to 6hrs, I'll gladly do it every morning!! Can I reinstall the exact same app though?!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
This thread is big, so i dodnt get a chance to read every post, but does anyone happen to know if keeping the Auto dimming setting turned ON, eats st the battery faster or as opposed to just keeping that setting turned off, and keeping the screen at less than 50% brightness?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This thread is big, so i dodnt get a chance to read every post, but does anyone happen to know if keeping the Auto dimming setting turned ON, eats st the battery faster or as opposed to just keeping that setting turned off, and keeping the screen at less than 50% brightness?
Autobrightness will help the battery.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna do everything you said cause I've never managed to get more than 3,5 hours ever. Yours look like a dream.
There are two things that attract my attention a lot.

1. Unplugging as soon as you hit 100%?are you sure this makes a lot of impact? I've hear that more modern phones don't have that kind of needs and manage themselves on their own. I would think it stops pulling juice when it hits 100 automatically

2. I used smart switched! Why do you think it makes a difference? It would be such a hassle to reset my phone to factory now and re do everything manually but if it makes my sot go from 3 to 6hrs, I'll gladly do it every morning!! Can I reinstall the exact same app though?!
About the unplugging thing... I don't know if it makes a difference but I know that all of the phones I've had, I kept plugged in all night and partially during the day when I was using them because the battery just seemed to get worse and worse over time. I was determined this phone would be different and so far so good.

The Smart switch thing... I've never used it before, I've always manually set up my phones, good reason to house clean those apps that I just don't use that often or are outdated. Some people have done the FDR and manual set up and have improved SoT, so I don't know but I thought I'd mention it.

I also have the mid level power saving switched on, but I allow background data to continue. To my old eyes I see no difference in the resolution or the snapiness of the phone.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else around here tried to reset their phone after using smart switch and did it make a difference ??? I'm on my 3rd day and my phone battery will not give me more than 3,5 hrs sot or last more than 10 hours without plugging it. It's starting to really worry me that I can't even finish the day ....

I haven't even dared yet to turn my Bluetooth...

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else around here tried to reset their phone after using smart switch and did it make a difference ??? I'm on my 3rd day and my phone battery will not give me more than 3,5 hrs sot or last more than 10 hours without plugging it. It's starting to really worry me that I can't even finish the day ....

In one of your screenshots that you posted earlier I noticed you had location (GPS) on, so have you tried changing that to Power saving mode (wifi and data only) and just switch to High accuracy only when needed pinpoint accuracy? Also, did you turn off the Google Location Services, the combo ON can be very bad for battery life and the graphic I saw from your battery depletion clearly shows a constant and faster than normal depletion. Also, can you try with Wifi off like I posted above? I mean, if it's possible and your data plan will allow it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I received my phone on the 18th and had random issues with Android system killing the battery so I took the plunge and did FDR 2 days ago. Seemed to work quite well. Then this morning Android system reared its ugly head again. Fortunately I caught it, was able to see that beaming service was the culprit, disabled it, and the rest of the day haven't had an issue.

So I'd like to believe the hours I spent with the FDR were worth it but now I'm not sure. I'm glad I did it just to know I started fresh but it certainly didn't prevent things from going sideways again. Maybe the chances of it happening have been reduced though.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to help. I can definitely turn off my wifi all day since I'm on an unlimited plan ! I will do the test tomorrow to see the results after I got my phone fully charged.

Regarding all the location services, would it be ok if I simple bring down my quick settings menu and completely turn off Location ? At least during the test tomorrow? Or is it important that I go in the settings and manually do everything you say above ?

what I'm thinking is to do a full test tomorrow with both wifi and location turned off from the quick settings, and see the impact ..,,,

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz