The Official Battery Life Thread

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Best of luck and congrats to all you guys getting your long awaited and highly anticipated Bionics. The initial reviews were extremely positive.

If you guys could comment on its battery life especially those in 4G regions.

Thank you in advance and again good luck.

David

Kismet#AC

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Life

I had the same question. I know most people got their Bionic today and probably don't have a concise answer on battery life yet but any info you could offer would be appreciated by those of us who are still on the fence. Like, how many hours from 100% to 10%? Was it based on light, moderate, or heavy usage? Do you have the stock battery or the extended battery? etc, etc, etc. I went by Verizon today and played with the phone and loved it but was waiting on some battery life reviews before I used my upgrade. I currently have the D2 global so any phone would probably exceed the battery life I am currently getting. Thanks in advance. :)

ucop27

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Stock battery with light to moderate usage, 10hrs to 20%. Used 4g and wifi the entire time, alot better than my olf OG. Display was auto, then full bright for a while.

Reactions: Kismet#AC

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

When I first got my phone I used it for 2 hours of navigation and 3-4 more hours of just random apps and browsing lightly through the internet. Went from probably 25% to 10%. I am very happy with battery life but bought the extended anyways due to my heavy usage.

Extended battery does take a pretty long time to fully charge.

If battery life is your only issue then this phone is solid and something you should get.

Reactions: bewdc

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

used it this morning and early afternoon, then fully charged it later in the afternoon. have been using it light/moderately (only 1 or 2 short phone calls, no navigation, no music, just mostly browsing and checking the web here and there). the battery is on its last legs after about 9.5 hrs (10% left).

much of the time i was in a low reception area, and i wonder if that has anything to do with the low battery life. it was something that plagued even my older phones (both DX and DX2). also i had the phone on 4G the whole time, so maybe it was struggling to search for reception?

i'm just watching videos right now to fully kill the battery and then fully charge it overnight. tomorrow i may try changing a few settings (for example, i had auto screen brightness all day, and 4G on all day). we'll see how it goes

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
YIKES, on battery life!

charged phone all night. this morning it was fully charged, but within a 1/2 hour I decided to check battery level (despite the icon showing FULL) and it said 90%. It said 90% about an hour later, than dropped to 80%. Now it is at 40% and it's only been ON for 4.5 hours. Not good. Sure, I'm using the phone to play around with it, but I hope that doesn't mean I can't spend at least 2 hours (I didn't spend much time on calls today--I'm just saying I hope I can use it in the future for a couple of hours per day) on calls during the day, plus play music, etc, once in a while and make it from 6AM to 6PM.

how's everyone else doing with batt life?

Last edited:

Aioka

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: YIKES, on battery life!

I turned off LTE and went CDMA only (we dont have it in our area) and it improved. however i got the phone at 10am yesterday and was playing with it all day and it finally died about 11pm last night.

kbo

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I am at 60% after 5 hours of what I consider heavy use. I do not have wifi in the section of the building I am in, so it would probably be better since 38% of battery usage is on cell standby.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

let it fully discharge at least once or twice. i think dropping to 90% immediately is normal at first.

i had 9.5 hrs yest of moderate usage. hoping to get more today

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Took my phone off fully charged at 7 am this morning. Have had LTE and Wifi running most of the day (it's now 2pm here) and have been using it on-and-off checking email, texting, and downloading a few apps (basically my use in a normal workday) and I'm at 70%.

I would definitely check what you're doing, settings you're running, etc. since I've had mine running for 7 hours and have lost a lot less battery than you.

Soapinmouth

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

actually I believe wifi burs the battery faster on this phone from what I've seen, might have something to do with the radio staying on with wifi constantly watching for signal.

I did the cosco deal so I have 2 batteries to use every day, and the spare fits nicely in my wallet :) So battery life is almost a nonissue for me

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

It usually takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles to get the full batt life. If you still arent getting what you need out of it, the extended battery at your local vz store might have one in stock and they are 50% off!!!

Phone just got delivered, and i rushed to the local vz store (cypress, CA) and i bought the extended battery for $25. :p very happy!!!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

actually I believe wifi burs the battery faster on this phone from what I've seen, might have something to do with the radio staying on with wifi constantly watching for signal.

I did the cosco deal so I have 2 batteries to use every day, and the spare fits nicely in my wallet :) So battery life is almost a nonissue for me

battery life right now is secondary to the deal breaking problem with whine in the headphone output, which someone else just confirmed they are having trouble with too.

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Definitely get the extended battery. I've had mine off the charger since 6:30 am and now it's 2:00. I'm at 90% and have been playing with it most of the morning. Streamed internet radio to and from grocery shopping, played with wallpapers and ring tones, usual texting and messaging.
Have only made two fairly short phone calls though.
It does make the phone a little bulky...like a 90's Sat phone :/

Mikeyw88

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it needs to go through several full charge/dishcarge cycles before it reaches maximum battery potential. Also I would suggest using the bult in task manager. It has an option to auto-kill aps you are not using. I have had mine on since 7 am this morning and it is now 2 pm , 70% life left.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Yeah it needs to go through several full charge/dishcarge cycles before it reaches maximum battery potential. Also I would suggest using the bult in task manager. It has an option to auto-kill aps you are not using. I have had mine on since 7 am this morning and it is now 2 pm , 70% life left.
Mike, I've been trying to keep up with the apps that are left open and have just included more of them in the "auto-end" list which I began adding to yesterday. thx.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Mike, I've been trying to keep up with the apps that are left open and have just included more of them in the "auto-end" list which I began adding to yesterday. thx.

I have a ton of apps in there, except for the ones I want continually on - twitter, mail, etc.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

This is WAY better than the HTC TB! You are going to get less battery life with 4G LTE