The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Continuum gets update but not Froyo

Verizon's Continuum received an update today to fix bugs and install Vcast, but it is not Froyo. I'm not sure if this means anything about Froyo arriving in the "near future". I'm wondering if Sprint is going to fix some of the Epic glitches prior to updating to Froyo. A couple of links :

Samsung Continuum gets software update, V CAST Apps along for the ride -- Engadget Mobile

Samsung Continuum Software Update Begins Rolling Out [Verizon Offers Samsung Continuum Update, It Is Not Android 2.2, But Includes V CAST Apps Along With Other Enhancements & Bug Fixes] ? TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Last edited:

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's Continuum received an update today to fix bugs and install Vcast, but it is not Froyo. I'm not sure if this means anything about Froyo arriving in the "near future". I'm wondering if Sprint is going to fix some of the Epic glitches prior to updating to Froyo.

Well if the leaked DK28 is anything to go on - yes they did address some of the Epic omissions/bugs. Calendar events now default to the last calendar you saved an event to instead of always defaulting to the MyCalendar option, Contacts is now sortable to show either 1st name 1st or last name 1st and viewable by the same options. Vcard export data via email now seems supported vs. that "namecard" BS they had before- but they still don't call it .vcf or vcard and still call it namecard.

Blutooth and audio out is still oddly unaffected (despite the home and car docks saying they'd support audio out come 2.2)

The notification tray now will have music player and current call options to interact with - which makes you not have to jump back to either app to end call, stop track mute etc...it's very handy.

Call log still doesn't list duration of call.

Video streaming MP4s still not supported- not sure why...Evo does them.

Last edited:

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Realization

Thats it. It's over. The Samsung Epic 4G will be left to die with Android 2.1. The phone with a 1GHz Hummigbird processor and the fastest graphics processor on the market right now (in a phone) can't handle the complexity of an already outdated version of Android (Froyo). I have become numb to Samsung's lies and BS and have accepted that their silence means we are not getting Froyo. I will learn how to root my phone and get it myself and risk bricking it. Thank you Samsung for your awesome customer service and steadfast dedication to your customers. I will take this experience with you into the future and make sure me, my kids, my kids kids, never buy a Samsung product. Thanks for the lies. HTC hear i come.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats it. It's over. The Samsung Epic 4G will be left to die with Android 2.1. The phone with a 1GHz Hummigbird processor and the fastest graphics processor on the market right now (in a phone) can't handle the complexity of an already outdated version of Android (Froyo). I have become numb to Samsung's lies and BS and have accepted that their silence means we are not getting Froyo. I will learn how to root my phone and get it myself and risk bricking it. Thank you Samsung for your awesome customer service and steadfast dedication to your customers. I will take this experience with you into the future and make sure me, my kids, my kids kids, never buy a Samsung product. Thanks for the lies. HTC hear i come.

Sounds like someone didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Aren't you being a little extreme with telling your future kids and grand-kids not to buy Samsung products? You do have to remember that the average user doesn't care/know about an update (froyo). They just want a device that works. If pushing out an update hinders 10% of the users with the phone then I'm sure Samsung doesn't want that on their plate.

Having said all of that, it's still their fault for not having the right developers and programmers to implement the update. Not sure if you researched before you bought the phone, but it's pretty common knowledge that Samsung is one of the slower manufacturers when it comes to getting updates out. I don't have a beef with you in regards to wanting the update but you sound like your world is coming to an end because you don't have 2.2 on your phone. It will be ok.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

The Epic will see an Official Froyo release.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like someone didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Aren't you being a little extreme with telling your future kids and grand-kids not to buy Samsung products? You do have to remember that the average user doesn't care/know about an update (froyo). They just want a device that works. If pushing out an update hinders 10% of the users with the phone then I'm sure Samsung doesn't want that on their plate.

Having said all of that, it's still their fault for not having the right developers and programmers to implement the update. Not sure if you researched before you bought the phone, but it's pretty common knowledge that Samsung is one of the slower manufacturers when it comes to getting updates out. I don't have a beef with you in regards to wanting the update but you sound like your world is coming to an end because you don't have 2.2 on your phone. It will be ok.

its the principle fact that they have given multiple dates for the release of Froyo...all have past and there is still no Froyo. This makes me most upset than not having froyo. They lie and now they aren't telling us anything. And yes i did research on the phone, but not the manufacturer.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
its the principle fact that they have given multiple dates for the release of Froyo...all have past and there is still no Froyo. This makes me most upset than not having froyo. They lie and now they aren't telling us anything. And yes i did research on the phone, but not the manufacturer.

I have not seen any official release dates published by either Samsung or sprint. The only release dates I've seen are the ones posted in forums and blogs. There's been a lot of speculation on when it's coming but both Samsung and Sprint have been very careful and deliberate about not supplying a date.

emagdnimohno

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Ya I hear that. I don't think its coming anytime soon. I'm just sticking with my epic on 2.1 until I can either upgrade or possibly trade for an evo /shift. Maybe ill just keep it lol. I don't know if I could ever leave this screen

feralpanda

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
yeah, with as easy as the people in the mods/hacks section have made it, i really don't see why anyone wouldn't root and flash if they wanted froyo. i'll admit, i was nervous the first time but believe me when i tell you they wrote some seriously thorough and step-by-step instructions. and once you successfully flash your phone once, you'll probably end up like the rest of us flashing it every time a new version comes out.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
How long does it take the first time you do it? I'm nervous about it and I don't have a full day to kill just screwing with my phone. The phone works pretty well a is.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
How long does it take the first time you do it? I'm nervous about it and I don't have a full day to kill just screwing with my phone. The phone works pretty well a is.

It takes less time than installing Angry Birds from the market.

if you are concerned simply Flash DK28 without rooting or using custom ROM

Flashing Froyo DK28 without root or adding custom ROM

New: Restore to Froyo DK28
0) Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

Plug your Epic into your computer via USB and let Windows recognize your phone/configure the drivers. After Windows is done with the drivers, unplug your Epic.

1) Download the following:
Froyo DK28 (do not extract this file)
Odin3+v1.61

If you have problems with Odin recognizing or flashing your phone in the following steps, you should first try using a different USB port and/or cable. If you are still having problems, you can try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link in Step 0, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

2) Boot your phone into download mode by powering off your phone holding "1" on the keyboard and holding power until you see a yellow sign with an android digging.

3) Extract "Odin3+v1.61andepic.pit.zip" into a folder on your computer, then launch "Odin3+v1.61.exe".

4) Press the "PIT" button and select "victory_8G_100528.pit", then press the "PDA" button and select "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5". On the left side of the Odin screen, make sure only "Auto Reboot" is checked.

5) Plug in the USB cable (if it's done right you should see a yellow Com device light up in one of the rectangular boxes).

6) Click Start and wait until you get a green box at the top that says success. Your phone should reboot.

Note: DO NOT unplug your phone while Odin is flashing your phone. Unplugging early can cause your Epic to be permanently bricked. If Odin appears frozen/stuck, wait at least 5 minutes before unplugging and trying again (after 5 minutes any process Odin is attempting to complete will have ended).

If you get an error that says "md5 hash is invalid", try starting again from Step 1d and only use "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5", omitting the "victory_8G_100528.pit" file. You can also try removing the ".md5" from "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5" and flashing with and without the "victory_8G_100528.pit" file.

Troubleshooting
If you're having problems getting Odin to recognize your phone, try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link above, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

If Odin does recognize your phone but is failing during installation of the system files, you may have a bad download. Try downloading the files again.

Some users have had success by not including the .pit file in their installation.

If your phone turns off and does not respond at all, remove and replace the battery to get it working again.

Last edited:

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement, reassurance, and guidance.

I'm confused about flashing the DK28 Modem Only. Wouldn't I want to follow the "Restore to Froyo DK28"? I thought the modem only ROMs are just the phone/radio firmware part of the OS. I was planning on doing that and then jumping to EXT4 ROMs after I get more comfortable.

I've rooted using Z4, and backed up using both Titanium and MyBackup. Further realize I shouldn't restore my apps with those--just app data when going from Eclair to Froyo. I think I'm pretty prepared, but just need to get over that hump of totally wiping my phone.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm confused about flashing the DK28 Modem Only. Wouldn't I want to follow the "Restore to Froyo DK28"? I thought the modem only ROMs are just the phone/radio firmware part of the OS. I was planning on doing that and then jumping to EXT4 ROMs after I get more comfortable.

I've rooted using Z4, and backed up using both Titanium and MyBackup. Further realize I shouldn't restore my apps with those--just app data when going from Eclair to Froyo. I think I'm pretty prepared, but just need to get over that hump of totally wiping my phone.

Yes restore to DK28 I copied the wrong section.. corrected in previous post.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Your correct the method they provided is for flashing the DK28 Modem. That is used when your doing one of the GPS fixes, coming from older/earlier versions of unofficial Froyo or a few other methods.

If you would like to install Froyo, go here.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Scroll down to the section :New: Restore to Froyo DK28

This will provide you with the leaked Froyo DK28. You can then decide from there what directions you want to go and root and/or install EXT4 file system and custom ROMs.

All of those questions and more can be followed up in the
Epic 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee0909