The Pixel 5 battery is a beast.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Yes, no doubt, this thing has a monster of a battery in it. Granted I'd be considered a light user, but still, this is nuts. My usage on a typical day is between 15-25 phone calls, 20-30 texts and probably 30-50 emails. Location is usually off, but 5G is on. Like I said, I'm a light weight compared to most of you. Never have I had a phone that would stand by for 5+ days and have enough battery life for 2 plus days of use. My status bar says it will go 3 days, yeah THREE DAYS! Google out did them selves on the battery front no doubt. The adaptive battery seems to really stretches battery life. These two screen shot are after being off the Pixel stand for 4 hours. Man I love this phone! I'm curious to hear what others are seeing for battery life.
Screenshot_20210207-112552.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-113144.jpg

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the stand by is crazy good. I literally game on this phone to play stadia, xbox game pass, fortnite etc + a lot of youtube, netflix, hulu etc and even with my crazy usage instill get on average or 24-28 hours but I use it so heavily. If i tone down and go to a more .moderate usage with less gaming infer the 1.5+ days easily. The stand by is just amazing for sure.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Yeah the stand by is crazy good. I literally game on this phone to play stadia, xbox game pass, fortnite etc + a lot of youtube, netflix, hulu etc and even with my crazy usage instill get on average or 24-28 hours but I use it so heavily. If i tone down and go to a more .moderate usage with less gaming infer the 1.5+ days easily. The stand by is just amazing for sure.

You being what I would consider a heavy user, that's still darn impressive! I was lucky to get 8 hours out of my old Windows Nokia Icon phone.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I can agree! The standby time on this phone is crazy nuts! I never have worry about battery life!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely agree that this battery is a beast! It's soo incredible awesome for standby time, and to be able to rely on the endurance of the phone soo much!

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit jealous the 4A wasn't equipped with the same battery. It still gets great battery life but considering both phones are the same size I wonder why they couldn't equip the 4A with the same size battery capacity. :\

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought myself a Pixel Stand for Christmas to use with my Pixel 5, which I had purchased a few days before Thanksgiving. During the ensuing six weeks, the endurance of the P5 battery has enabled me to develop a comfortable routine of putting the phone on the Pixel Stand every other night when I go to bed. Even after 40 hours or so, the phone consistently shows that the battery still has 43-48% of a charge remaining, meaning that I could probably get a third day out of a full charge if I wasn't reluctant to let the battery ebb below 40%. Granted, I'm far from a "power user" by the standards customarily applied in this forum; but for people whose normal daily usage for calls, texts, navigation, and online browsing/posting qualifies as moderate, the P5 battery should more than satisfy expectations.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought myself a Pixel Stand for Christmas to use with my Pixel 5, which I had purchased a few days before Thanksgiving. During the ensuing six weeks, the endurance of the P5 battery has enabled me to develop a comfortable routine of putting the phone on the Pixel Stand every other night when I go to bed. Even after 40 hours or so, the phone consistently shows that the battery still has 43-48% of a charge remaining, meaning that I could probably get a third day out of a full charge if I wasn't reluctant to let the battery ebb below 40%. Granted, I'm far from a "power user" by the standards customarily applied in this forum; but for people whose normal daily usage for calls, texts, navigation, and online browsing/posting qualifies as moderate, the P5 battery should more than satisfy expectations.

Hey great analysis of your battery life! See, for me, I'm a moderate user for my phone. I am getting about 1.5-2 days of battery per charge. I could probably push it to be longer like you, but I'm always so hesitant to drain the battery so low even though extreme battery saver mode is designed for just that purpose!

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Hey great analysis of your battery life! See, for me, I'm a moderate user for my phone. I am getting about 1.5-2 days of battery per charge. I could probably push it to be longer like you, but I'm always so hesitant to drain the battery so low even though extreme battery saver mode is designed for just that purpose!

Eric,
I'll try and answer your PM in here if that's OK. I have location services shut off on my phone. I use a 7" Garmin commercial truck specific GPS, no need for Gmaps to navigate. I do use Gmaps on occasion, but I rarely use the phone for navigation. On my previous pone, navigation took the biggest toll on the battery. 5G is on. WIFI is on, but not looking for free access points. Any thing that wants a location has to ask me to turn it on first. Every thing that Google tracks is shut off. Auto update on anything from Playstore is off. I manually update my Play store apps once a week. I do think shutting off all the snooping Google apps does help.

This includes anything in my Google profile. An example would be location history. They don't need to know where the heck I have been, and if I do forget, I have bigger troubles than what Google can help with. It keeps the phone from constantly phoning home if you follow me. Think of it this way, every time your phone talks to Google, your battery is taking a hit. Small as it may be, it adds up quick. 3rd party apps, maybe 5. My weather app is the only 3rd party app I let run in the background. I'll attach the battery usage as it sits right now. The phone has been off the Pixel stand for over 15 hours. It's two pics. I couldn't screen shot all of the apps using battery in one shot. Two things I have nailed down in this thread, I'm a light weight user and the dang battery is a beast. Oh yeah, and uh, yeah, I'm a privacy nut.

Hope this helps,
Shane
Screenshot_20210208-211524.jpg
Screenshot_20210208-211611.jpg

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, no doubt, this thing has a monster of a battery in it. Granted I'd be considered a light user, but still, this is nuts. My usage on a typical day is between 15-25 phone calls, 20-30 texts and probably 30-50 emails. Location is usually off, but 5G is on. Like I said, I'm a light weight compared to most of you. Never have I had a phone that would stand by for 5+ days and have enough battery life for 2 plus days of use. My status bar says it will go 3 days, yeah THREE DAYS! Google out did them selves on the battery front no doubt. The adaptive battery seems to really stretches battery life. These two screen shot are after being off the Pixel stand for 4 hours. Man I love this phone! I'm curious to hear what others are seeing for battery life.
View attachment 331606
View attachment 331607

Uh, WOW. That's a lot, even for a light user. Amazing!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Eric,
I'll try and answer your PM in here if that's OK. I have location services shut off on my phone. I use a 7" Garmin commercial truck specific GPS, no need for Gmaps to navigate. I do use Gmaps on occasion, but I rarely use the phone for navigation. On my previous pone, navigation took the biggest toll on the battery. 5G is on. WIFI is on, but not looking for free access points. Any thing that wants a location has to ask me to turn it on first. Every thing that Google tracks is shut off. Auto update on anything from Playstore is off. I manually update my Play store apps once a week. I do think shutting off all the snooping Google apps does help.

This includes anything in my Google profile. An example would be location history. They don't need to know where the heck I have been, and if I do forget, I have bigger troubles than what Google can help with. It keeps the phone from constantly phoning home if you follow me. Think of it this way, every time your phone talks to Google, your battery is taking a hit. Small as it may be, it adds up quick. 3rd party apps, maybe 5. My weather app is the only 3rd party app I let run in the background. I'll attach the battery usage as it sits right now. The phone has been off the Pixel stand for over 15 hours. It's two pics. I couldn't screen shot all of the apps using battery in one shot. Two things I have nailed down in this thread, I'm a light weight user and the dang battery is a beast. Oh yeah, and uh, yeah, I'm a privacy nut.

Hope this helps,
Shane
View attachment 331662
View attachment 331663

Hey Shane, you are right about Privacy! I usually just don't care about it all that much. ha. Thanks very much for the tips and suggestions! i have disabled everything that you have disabled. I am also quite a light user but only getting 1 day and 20 hours out of a full change. I am on Verizon LTE most of the time vs WIFI. I wonder if that makes a difference at all. Check out my screenshot as well! For example, Do you use a streaming music service on your phone?c21acf65-c1f1-436d-97cd-7afb8539b2c0.png

As part of my troubleshooting, I used to use Pandora, but I am pretty sure for some reason it was using battery/Google Play Services in the background. I am not using YouTube Music Premium and seeing how the battery is going to drain with that. Do you use Google Assistant? I'm not saying my battery & standby time stuck by any stretch of the imagination, however, just like you, I am a moderate to light user. I do most of my media consumption on my Roku TV or my laptop including YouTube of course. That's what doesn't' make much sense to me. lol Also, for testing, I turned of smooth 90 Hz display and finally updated my Carrier Services app in my play store which i haven't used in a very long time ( thought that was the Google Play Services battery culprit) Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my Google Pixel 5 is absolutely amazing. I never have to worry about my battery usage during the day anymore. It's a great feeling.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my Google Pixel 5 is absolutely amazing. I never have to worry about my battery usage during the day anymore. It's a great feeling.

Yeah, absolutely I'm getting 1.5-2 days per charge. A little bit more if I really drain my battery down which i barely every do. I should get into the habit of doing that more so!

speeddad

Nov 28, 2020
Visit site
During the ensuing six weeks, the endurance of the P5 battery has enabled me to develop a comfortable routine of putting the phone on the Pixel Stand every other night when I go to bed

Yep, this is what I do too. I've noticed the P5's battery has become yet better after a month or so of use, probably the battery breaking in. It's weird, I'm not used to a phone that can go 2-3 days between charges! It's like the old days of my blackberry curve! Now I only wish that it had a removable battery, so I could deplete one and quickly swap in a fresh one. I'm always afraid if I have an emergency situation that I'll need my phone for and only have ~30% battery life, so I still carry a mophie battery booster, but have yet to actually need it. This phone absolutely rocks!

Ro-jells

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
I just got my P5 a few weeks ago, and while I will admit the battery is good, I haven't found it to be great like you guys are getting. 2-5 days is insane! I imagine that I have a lot of things on that I may not need, but what's a good place to start so I can get more battery life out of my Pixel? I have Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and mobile data on. I had on location but I turned it off because I realized I'm not going anywhere. I get about 24 hours out of the battery estimated with about 5 hours SOT with 30% left at the end of the day.
Thoughts? Help please!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got my P5 a few weeks ago, and while I will admit the battery is good, I haven't found it to be great like you guys are getting. 2-5 days is insane! I imagine that I have a lot of things on that I may not need, but what's a good place to start so I can get more battery life out of my Pixel? I have Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and mobile data on. I had on location but I turned it off because I realized I'm not going anywhere. I get about 24 hours out of the battery estimated with about 5 hours SOT with 30% left at the end of the day.
Thoughts? Help please!

Oh yeah absolutely! I'm in the same exact boat! I'm not sure exactly how to judge/gauge how to get the best battery life out of my phone. I am betting 2 days but still... I use my laptop at home wayy more than my phone on a daily basis, so my SOT won't be as high..

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few of my FAVORITE aspects of my P5: the build quality is phenomenal, the symmetrical bezels and no visible microphone and earpiece are a REALLY NICE & CLEAN look, and the form factor is just perfect for me!