The Pixel 5 battery is a beast.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are a few of my FAVORITE aspects of my P5: the build quality is phenomenal, the symmetrical bezels and no visible microphone and earpiece are a REALLY NICE & CLEAN look, and the form factor is just perfect for me!

I've always liked the clean look of Pixel phones. They are certainly consistent with their appealing-to-the-eye form factors.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've always liked the clean look of Pixel phones. They are certainly consistent with their appealing-to-the-eye form factors.

Oh, yeah, absolutely! Pixel phones are severely underrated...at least in my opinion. That's for sure. The P5 just feels solid, all around. Not much more I can say for that! It's perfect to me, and to make matters ever better, it's future-proof with all flavors of 5G!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, no doubt, this thing has a monster of a battery in it. Granted I'd be considered a light user, but still, this is nuts. My usage on a typical day is between 15-25 phone calls, 20-30 texts and probably 30-50 emails. Location is usually off, but 5G is on. Like I said, I'm a light weight compared to most of you. Never have I had a phone that would stand by for 5+ days and have enough battery life for 2 plus days of use. My status bar says it will go 3 days, yeah THREE DAYS! Google out did them selves on the battery front no doubt. The adaptive battery seems to really stretches battery life. These two screen shot are after being off the Pixel stand for 4 hours. Man I love this phone! I'm curious to hear what others are seeing for battery life.
View attachment 331606
View attachment 331607

After the next time I completely drain my phones battery with this new setup( location off, etc) I'll post my battery life screenshots. I'm hoping for the best. I just find it slightly frustrating that I can't achieve 4 days of standby using the same methodology. I hope I can, however, at the end of the day, Getting 1.5- 2 days of "realistic" battery life is insane when you think about it. Most smartphones including the ones with the most amount of battery life for example the S21 Ultra, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max with huge batteries also have huge screens and are able to get this long.

bobbyk68

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, no doubt, this thing has a monster of a battery in it. Granted I'd be considered a light user, but still, this is nuts. My usage on a typical day is between 15-25 phone calls, 20-30 texts and probably 30-50 emails. Location is usually off, but 5G is on. Like I said, I'm a light weight compared to most of you. Never have I had a phone that would stand by for 5+ days and have enough battery life for 2 plus days of use. My status bar says it will go 3 days, yeah THREE DAYS! Google out did them selves on the battery front no doubt. The adaptive battery seems to really stretches battery life. These two screen shot are after being off the Pixel stand for 4 hours. Man I love this phone! I'm curious to hear what others are seeing for battery life.
View attachment 331606
View attachment 331607

Can you tell me what the call quality is like?

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Initially, I was going to say that compared to my Pixel 3, this Pixel 5 is fantastic but I have to agree with the others; this battery is just a Beast! I'm a fairly heavy user (admittedly, that is subjective) but this battery generally lasts more than 24hours without a charge. My Pixel 3, wasn't horrible (like all of those HTC phones I had) but wouldn't make it through an entire day without a charge. This Pixel 5 is beyond my expectations and definitely justifies the upgrade.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Initially, I was going to say that compared to my Pixel 3, this Pixel 5 is fantastic but I have to agree with the others; this battery is just a Beast! I'm a fairly heavy user (admittedly, that is subjective) but this battery generally lasts more than 24hours without a charge. My Pixel 3, wasn't horrible (like all of those HTC phones I had) but wouldn't make it through an entire day without a charge. This Pixel 5 is beyond my expectations and definitely justifies the upgrade.

Yeah, you're absolutely right! I think I've become very battery life greedy.. unfortunately.. Meaning that I'm expecting my regularly battery to last me days and days at a time even on my moderate usage. My older Pixel 3 XL (just like yours even with a bigger battery) on a full charge would barely get me until 8 or 9 pm when it was un-plugged at 6 am in the morning; and that's with USB-C charging it in the car using Android Auto as well! For example, I'll easily admit here that for the past few days, I've been getting very frustrated because some people can get 4.5 days of battery life/standby out of their phones. However, this might be because they turned most features of their phones off including GPS. For example, I turned location off completely on my phone, however my At-A-Glance weather widget stopped working because it couldn't detect my GPS location. I didn't realize that would happen. My point is that. In order to get an accurate reading of your normal battery life, You've got to use the phone like you normally would. The only major feature that I have turned off because I just use my lock screen, is the always on ambient display for the lock screen. I was turning off the smooth display, etc. I am normally getting an estimated average battery life of 1 day 20 hours, but I'm soo anal about my battery life, that I usually just re-charge my phone once it reaches 40%! From now on, I am definitely going to drain it all the way down. The reason why I do charge it up once it reaches 40% is because it says by 8 am in the morning, it'll be dead. Well, if i don't charge it up for a little bit, by 8 am I'll be at the gym. lol. But I am definitely going to drain my battery. It was meant to use extreme battery saver mode for a reason! My older Pixel 3 XL would go into battery saver mode by 6pm in the evening.

For example, my dad and I love cars and we always go to the NY Auto Show. I remember that with my Pixel 3 XL, even with general web browsing, an hour or so of music on the bus, and take pictures all day long, by 4pm, My phone would easily be at 15% battery which was very annoying! Not with the Pixel 5 so far though! Just wanted to share all of my thoughts with you here!

Last edited:

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Can you tell me what the call quality is like?

I find the call quality quite good. Some say the under display speaker sounds tinny. I don't think so at all. For an under display speaker, it's fine by me. Was it as good as my Windows phone, no, than again, that phone had a true external type speaker. Now if you're asking about Verizons call quality, Imma gunna keep my mouth shut.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I have a 4a 5G and battery is excellent as well ... I leave my Google services on other than update my apps manually from Play store ...let Google be Google is my way of life...having a Pixel I feel you should let it do it's thing ..it knows how to sip battery when it has to do it ..trying to squeeze an extra hour is not worth it to me ...top off the battery when you know you might need an extra push for a certain day ...and why not charge when you can instead of seeing if it will go 3 days ? Just my 2 cents ..lol maybe 1 cent....

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4a 5G and battery is excellent as well ... I leave my Google services on other than update my apps manually from Play store ...let Google be Google is my way of life...having a Pixel I feel you should let it do it's thing ..it knows how to sip battery when it has to do it ..trying to squeeze an extra hour is not worth it to me ...top off the battery when you know you might need an extra push for a certain day ...and why not charge when you can instead of seeing if it will go 3 days ? Just my 2 cents ..lol maybe 1 cent....

Hahahaha, ya know something, I couldn't agree more with you. I am getting excellent battery life with my P5! I was soo utterly anal with my battery life over the past few days. However, I am getting about a solid 1.5-2 days out of each charge which is exactly what Google said the 4,080 mAH would be able to achieve. Regarding Google services. Yup! It's a Google phone. So, therefore, let Google be Google at the end of the day...it's all good to me! :cool::D You're right dude, that's my 4 cents or 5 cents!:eek::-$ Everything about my P5 is amazing. I even increased the screen width in Developer settings to minimize the UI for all apps in order to be able to fit a little bi t more on the screen at once!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Hahahaha, ya know something, I couldn't agree more with you. I am getting excellent battery life with my P5! I was soo utterly anal with my battery life over the past few days. However, I am getting about a solid 1.5-2 days out of each charge which is exactly what Google said the 4,080 mAH would be able to achieve. Regarding Google services. Yup! It's a Google phone. So, therefore, let Google be Google at the end of the day...it's all good to me! :cool::D You're right dude, that's my 4 cents or 5 cents!:eek::-$ Everything about my P5 is amazing. I even increased the screen width in Developer settings to minimize the UI for all apps in order to be able to fit a little bi t more on the screen at once!

That's a great way to go ..I always adjust the width to fit more on all my devices ...and there ya go easily excellent battery life ...I had 55% last night and I hammered away at the phone with lots of calls and YouTube and music ...I could've gone to today but I charged while I sleep ...or sometimes early morning while I'm showering...I stopped watching my battery on phones long long time now only unless I have a serious drain ...my Pixel sips overnight just like my Iphone ..and my 4a battery is a champ ...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's a great way to go ..I always adjust the width to fit more on all my devices ...and there ya go easily excellent battery life ...I had 55% last night and I hammered away at the phone with lots of calls and YouTube and music ...I could've gone to today but I charged while I sleep ...or sometimes early morning while I'm showering...I stopped watching my battery on phones long long time now only unless I have a serious drain ...my Pixel sips overnight just like my Iphone ..and my 4a battery is a champ ...

Yeah, for example, my Pixel 3 XL would get about 10 hours of usage per full charge with my regular usage. Yeah, I mean If I need just a little bit more battery, sometimes, I'll just partially charge the battery, and not even think twice about it. Other times, I'll fully charge the battery. Just depends on the situation. Yeah the battery is a beat! I usually use it for YouTube Music, and messaging. All my Google Maps goes through Android Auto, which is of course when it's plugged into via USB-C in my car. I do need to exercise extreme battery saver mode a little bit more often though I think.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, for example, my Pixel 3 XL would get about 10 hours of usage per full charge with my regular usage. Yeah, I mean If I need just a little bit more battery, sometimes, I'll just partially charge the battery, and not even think twice about it. Other times, I'll fully charge the battery. Just depends on the situation. Yeah the battery is a beat! I usually use it for YouTube Music, and messaging. All my Google Maps goes through Android Auto, which is of course when it's plugged into via USB-C in my car. I do need to exercise extreme battery saver mode a little bit more often though I think.

I've never used extreme battery saver ...I wonder how long that would make it go haha ...though I don't like turning stuff off hehe ..I think you are going about it right ..adjust depending the situation ..

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've never used extreme battery saver ...I wonder how long that would make it go haha ...though I don't like turning stuff off hehe ..I think you are going about it right ..adjust depending the situation ..

Hehe, thank you very much dude! Yeah, depending on my situation, I'll partially charge my phone up. Other times, I'll just fully charge it. Extreme battery saver mode does shut all 3rd party apps down (you can select which apps to leave on) and it really does increase the battery life quite a bit. Now, I've only once drained my battery all the way down to 6%. I should do that more often. That's when I start charging it back up at about 40% or so. I have my extreme battery saver mode turn on at 35% battery. The default value is 25% battery though. I figure if it set it for a lighter battery level, that should allow me to get a little bit more juice out of my battery per charge. lol. :cool::p

speeddad

Nov 28, 2020
Visit site
I just got my P5 a few weeks ago, and while I will admit the battery is good, I haven't found it to be great like you guys are getting. 2-5 days is insane!

Congrats on your P5! Hope you're enjoying it and that you continue to enjoy it with time. As for the battery, I had about the same experience initially. It wasn't until about a month or so in to using it on a daily basis that the battery conditioned and got yet. Better. I did a few full discharge cycles and it continued to get better with more use. Give it some time, put it through a few full discharge cycles, and you'll be amazed how much it improves. Now I regularly get 2.5-3 days battery life with regular use on mine. I did use the Data Saver, Battery Saver and even the Extreme Battery Saver (which I really like how it works btw), but as the battery got broken in, I don't even need to use those savings features now to get a couple days battery life out of my P5.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your P5! Hope you're enjoying it and that you continue to enjoy it with time. As for the battery, I had about the same experience initially. It wasn't until about a month or so in to using it on a daily basis that the battery conditioned and got yet. Better. I did a few full discharge cycles and it continued to get better with more use. Give it some time, put it through a few full discharge cycles, and you'll be amazed how much it improves. Now I regularly get 2.5-3 days battery life with regular use on mine. I did use the Data Saver, Battery Saver and even the Extreme Battery Saver (which I really like how it works btw), but as the battery got broken in, I don't even need to use those savings features now to get a couple days battery life out of my P5.

Yup, I totally agree with what you just said! Battery life is amazing, and I'm getting the same exact battery life that you're getting!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 5 battery is working really well too! I've had the phone for ten days and the battery life is really impressive. I'm very happy with it so far. I feel like the two updates I did *may have* affected battery life somewhat - but certainly not enough to warrant a huge difference. Maybe it's my imagination.

But I'm still coming home from work with 65% battery usage when I used to come home with it in the 40's or 50's on my S10 - which drained battery like crazy when idle. I find that the Pixel 5 has good staying power while idle.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My Pixel 5 battery is working really well too! I've had the phone for ten days and the battery life is really impressive. I'm very happy with it so far. I feel like the two updates I did *may have* affected battery life somewhat - but certainly not enough to warrant a huge difference. Maybe it's my imagination.

But I'm still coming home from work with 65% battery usage when I used to come home with it in the 40's or 50's on my S10 - which drained battery like crazy when idle. I find that the Pixel 5 has good staying power while idle.
Agree!

Jazuyo

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
Loving the battery life on my P5 it definitely gets the job done. I also get 1.5-2 days off balance moderate usage of text, calls, poker app, browsing, music it for damn sure gets the job done.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Loving the battery life on my P5 it definitely gets the job done. I also get 1.5-2 days off balance moderate usage of text, calls, poker app, browsing, music it for damn sure gets the job done.
I agree battery life is excellent.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe