The Update to EMUI 5.1 and/or Android O (8.0)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I am pretty sure that it will
I think you are tight on there. I just think we won't get it until we near the two year mark unfortunately. Which they will do purposely so that Oreo will be the very last major update that we will see on the honor. Does anyone know if the honor 8 will continue to receive security updates after the two years has past? So like after we finally receive Oreo then the two years comes to a close will we continue to see any security patches after that? I hope so too future proof the phone but I'm unsure about that. Is it just up to honor or once the two years is up they totally stop with any form of updates?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you are tight on there. I just think we won't get it until we near the two year mark unfortunately. Which they will do purposely so that Oreo will be the very last major update that we will see on the honor. Does anyone know if the honor 8 will continue to receive security updates after the two years has past? So like after we finally receive Oreo then the two years comes to a close will we continue to see any security patches after that? I hope so too future proof the phone but I'm unsure about that. Is it just up to honor or once the two years is up they totally stop with any form of updates?
This is the exact wording:

Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers.

From this year 2016, we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for at least 24 months following each product launch.We will keep providing access to security and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner.Beyond this period we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security.Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device.

Devices covered by this policy include honor 5X and honor 8.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
My Honor 8 for Nougat earlier this year. I think Feb? I am expecting to be near that time again next year.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Im either getting the iPhone 7 Product Red limited edition or the iPhone 8 where I know I'll be getting updates for years to come. I refuse to keep worrying whether or not my phone will be updated and when. I don't blame you for moving to pixel. If I weren't going back to Apple I'd probably go to pixel myself being that it runs like a Nexus 6p which is amazing by the way. You guys will absolutely love it.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Im either getting the iPhone 7 Product Red limited edition or the iPhone 8 where I know I'll be getting updates for years to come. I refuse to keep worrying whether or not my phone will be updated and when. I don't blame you for moving to pixel. If I weren't going back to Apple I'd probably go to pixel myself being that it runs like a Nexus 6p which is amazing by the way. You guys will absolutely love it.
Updates are huge to people. I personally don't mind. I don't keep a phone for that long. So updates is not a huge issue for me, just need at least one os update. And I'd be fine

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Updates are huge to people. I personally don't mind. I don't keep a phone for that long. So updates is not a huge issue for me, just need at least one os update. And I'd be fine

Yep... I'm one of those people. As much as I'd like to give Huawei a chance, I'd like to see a commitment to updates.

Having said that... what's the latest security patch on the Honor 8 in the US?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone and new pixel 2 are the best options if you want timely and lengthy software updates

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
August patch.

Well, that's certainly better than March, which is what I found on the 6X display model at Best Buy... my daughter's Axon 7 Mini has received September's update, and I believe my wife's LG V20 is on October (as is my boxed-up LG G6). I have to give credit to T-Mobile US, as they've kept the LG and Samsung flagships reasonably up-to-date with respect to security!

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Yep... I'm one of those people. As much as I'd like to give Huawei a chance, I'd like to see a commitment to updates.

Having said that... what's the latest security patch on the Honor 8 in the US?
I believe they're updating every three months. Which isn't that good. And I'll check my Honor 8 when I get home

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's certainly better than March, which is what I found on the 6X display model at Best Buy... my daughter's Axon 7 Mini has received September's update, and I believe my wife's LG V20 is on October (as is my boxed-up LG G6). I have to give credit to T-Mobile US, as they've kept the LG and Samsung flagships reasonably up-to-date with respect to security!
My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is on August patch. So honor isn't bad, though Verizon is slacking