The voicemail notification icon will not appear when I receive a new voicemail

jschwartz19

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! I have the Samsung Note 2 for about a month and have noticed that when I receive a new voicemail, the notification icon does not appear. I get a missed call notification, and I also receive text notifications, but the voicemail does not seem to work. I have to assume I have one after a missed call and call the voicemail to check it. Any idea on how to get the icon to start appearing? Thanks!

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
are you using at&t visual voicemail for your note 2 voicemail? if so, maybe sure you tap the menu button (located to the left of the home button on the bottom of the phone), then settings, then make sure notifications is checked.

note, however, that this only displays notifications in the notification bar. it does not activate a notification badge/number on the voicemail icon. if you are new to android and coming from another operating system like iOS (like me a few weeks ago), then you'll notice that things like notification badges are not global and its application is inconsistent. it depends on the app itself and which notification apps you have installed (like TeslaUnread, GO Notification, for example).

jschwartz19

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for your response! I am using Verizon, and do not use any special visual voicemail programs. Just plain old voicemail :) I tried looking under all of the settings, and there doesn't seem to be many for the actual voicemail utility.

AZBrowncoat

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
if you are new to android and coming from another operating system like iOS (like me a few weeks ago), then you'll notice that things like notification badges are not global and its application is inconsistent. it depends on the app itself and which notification apps you have installed (like TeslaUnread, GO Notification, for example).
Yup...one of the things as a former iOS user that I'm trying to find a work around for. Really miss notification badges for my email accounts.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad I'm not on vzw... my "voicemail" app works great and has notifications... try looking for a voicemail app on the play store or try Google voice...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for your response! I am using Verizon, and do not use any special visual voicemail programs. Just plain old voicemail :) I tried looking under all of the settings, and there doesn't seem to be many for the actual voicemail utility.

Nay need resetting and verizon can do that for you. I recommend the visual voice mail. I know I am paying to have it but I like it a lot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

jschwartz19

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will figure something out, just seems silly that you need an app for something as simple as your phone telling you there is a voicemail!

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will figure something out, just seems silly that you need an app for something as simple as your phone telling you there is a voicemail!

yup.

you need a:

keyboard app like swiftkey to drop the right word into place when typing
visual voicemail viewer app because it's not integrated into the phone app
video player app like mx player pro to view videos from your friends with iPhones
facebook picture downloader app to save pics off of Facebook
backup/restore app to backup your phone (and might have to possibly root your phone)

all of the above is native in iOS; you get the idea. but don't fret. you'll soon discover that for all android's idiosyncrasies there's some cool stuff. like last night, my daughter sent me a word doc that she wanted me to review and edit. i pulled it up in email, ran polaris, and bam! I edited it on the fly and sent it right back. all done on a very comfortable screen (no squinting, no pinching gesture, etc.).

anon300056

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It may be hidden icon, this can happen for some unknown reason when you do a system update to icons.

SOLUTION: (at least for the Samsung galaxy S3, i assume Note is similar.)

After entering into the application folder (APPS) tap the menu button (on the galaxy s3 it is the touch button on the far bottom, to the left.)

You will see a menu list which starts with PLAY STORE. Here is why you have problems. there is a last folder named SHOW HIDDEN APPLICATIONS which is not visible until you scroll down one last line. open that it and you will see all icons including your missing one. if you find it, highlight the check box next to it. THEN PRESS DONE AT THE TOP RIGHT (NOT THE BACK BUTTON ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT = FAILURE.) Your icon will now appear in the APPS folder and hold and move to your Active pages by holding and dragging.

good luck.

mrwallydroidx

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
we have two Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phones on Verizon. One of the phones had that same problem and the other worked fine. Later the phone that worked fine no longer worked and the one that did not work started to work. We went to Verizon and they could not figure out anything that was wrong.
Now I have both phones working and I am Not sure what solved the problem but here is what I did. I found another individual that said if you dialed 1218 and then dial 1219 it would turn on and off the notifications for ringtone and text notifications. When I dialed those numbers I got the message from Verizon that was not a good number. I also reset the settings for the mobile network that it was connected to. First I changed the setting from Global to CDMA and the device was searching for the network whitch it did not find; then I see it back to Global. I also took the battery out and reinserted it and after that the notifications we're back on my screen.

Darlenemk1

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I researched this online for hours and didn't find a solution that worked. I am an AT&T subscriber so I called their help line. The first level CSR wasn't able to solve the problem so she turned me over to tech support. I have to hand it to him, he spent a minimum of 2 hours trying different things and nothing worked. I suggested to him that maybe this was a Samsung problem. He was kind enough to connect me directly to Samsung. He introduced me to Dee and she told him she would take care of me so he hung up. Once he hung up, so did she and I never received a call back. So again I called AT&T and they gave me the number to Samsung. I got a different rep and he said he couldn't help me unless I could provide him with the IMEI number. He explained that all the carriers customize the phone and without this number they wouldn't be able to help. I had to hang up my cell phone to look it up and then call again. The third gentleman I got on the phone tried several different things. By now I am pretty familiar with the different settings but there was one so well hidden I didn't know it existed. He said to go to the main "Setting" (not the phone setting or message setting which are different) and click on "Application Manager". Right under "Application Manager" and above "AllShare Cast" there is a line that says " Download Running All". You have to scroll to the left to even see "All". He told me to scroll down to Voicemail. After that exercise we both learned my phone doesn't have voicemail listed even though I can pick up my voicemails. The Samsung Rep said I could take it into AT&T to see if they can fix it or send it to Samsung. If I send it to Samsung, there are several steps I need to take first and will loose my phone for approximately 2 weeks. His explanation sure discouraged me from sending it to Samsung. The moral of this long story is if this is an important feature to you like it is me, don't buy a Samsung phone. And good luck if you ever have to use their customer service. Here is their help number if anyone is interested. 1-888-987-4357

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I researched this online for hours and didn't find a solution that worked. I am an AT&T subscriber so I called their help line. The first level CSR wasn't able to solve the problem so she turned me over to tech support. I have to hand it to him, he spent a minimum of 2 hours trying different things and nothing worked. I suggested to him that maybe this was a Samsung problem. He was kind enough to connect me directly to Samsung. He introduced me to Dee and she told him she would take care of me so he hung up. Once he hung up, so did she and I never received a call back. So again I called AT&T and they gave me the number to Samsung. I got a different rep and he said he couldn't help me unless I could provide him with the IMEI number. He explained that all the carriers customize the phone and without this number they wouldn't be able to help. I had to hang up my cell phone to look it up and then call again. The third gentleman I got on the phone tried several different things. By now I am pretty familiar with the different settings but there was one so well hidden I didn't know it existed. He said to go to the main "Setting" (not the phone setting or message setting which are different) and click on "Application Manager". Right under "Application Manager" and above "AllShare Cast" there is a line that says " Download Running All". You have to scroll to the left to even see "All". He told me to scroll down to Voicemail. After that exercise we both learned my phone doesn't have voicemail listed even though I can pick up my voicemails. The Samsung Rep said I could take it into AT&T to see if they can fix it or send it to Samsung. If I send it to Samsung, there are several steps I need to take first and will loose my phone for approximately 2 weeks. His explanation sure discouraged me from sending it to Samsung. The moral of this long story is if this is an important feature to you like it is me, don't buy a Samsung phone. And good luck if you ever have to use their customer service. Here is their help number if anyone is interested. 1-888-987-4357

Nah the moral of that story is to research the phone you are about to buy, u.s. carriers have way to much power when it comes to android phones and can change things the way thes see fit before the end user buys said phone. I assume this why we have to have multiple forums, one for each carrier but for the same phone..

Having said that, I have att as well, and I had to download att visual voicemail from the playstore. It was a breeeze to setup and get working. Took maybe 2 minutes from download to up and running. I get all my voicemails. Funny thing though is most people I know dont use voice and wont leave messages. If I dont answer they just hangup and shoot me a text.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Deominate

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Call your voicemail...I use verizon...so *86....then enter my password...
Personal voicemail options is the #4....then press 1 to turn on voicemail
Alerts.
Ta-da.

surfmontana

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have now called Verizon three times for this very issue. The voicemail notification shows up periodically but it is very inconsistent. The first two times I called they reset different things and it seemed it to work for a short time and then stopped working again. The last time I called a couple of weeks ago, the person I spoke with said that it was a software issue with the phone and would eventually be updated. I kind of forgot about it, and realized today that I had 14 unheard voicemails in my mailbox. Guess it just proves the point that we shouldn't solely rely on technology.

snowbound

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I know several Verizon subscribers that have had the same proble at one time or another, and with various phones, including a feature phone. Verizon's network may be top, but their voicemail notifications are not to be trusted.

Edit: forgot to mention the only way I know of to fix this is to reset the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry