Things the Android phone or Nexus 5 does better than the iPhone

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the screen is small, but Apple is all about making a functional device that is as small as possible. They like things to be tiny. Their devices, are the thinnest, lightest, etc. A 4" screen on the iPhone serves its needs well, make the phone more pocketable than any other phone, and doesn't cause conflicts between the iPad and iPhone crowds. A device that would be big enough to be "both" doesn't really do either one very well.

Or, a device big enough to be both hurts Apple's chances to make you part with your money twice.

I don't think anyone can dispute that the build quality is the best of any phone (save for maybe the HTC One).
iPhones are built with top notch quality, but I would't say it's the best. Frankly, I like the feel of the Nexus 5 better than that of an iPhone 5(s). But this is a matter of opinion.

There are no half-@$$ed apps, or buggy apps. As they say, "It Just Works". And its true.
Not half-a*s'ed? You're joking, right? Remember the Apple Maps rollout? That was worse than half-whatever, it was a disaster. And at the inception of iOS 7, this is what happened:
However, app-testing company uTest – which tests web and mobile apps for customers like Google, HBO, and Amazon through a global crowdsourced community of 100,000 testers in 200 countries – has told Business Insider that 90 per cent of pre-exisiting iOS apps are having trouble with the new system.
The problem isn't that Apple doesn't screw up. The wonder is how they are able to maintain the illusion of "it just work" when it clear just doesn't.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
And unlike some of the apps I have used on my Android phone, I have hardly ever come across a glitch on the iPhone.

...because Apple is really good about covering them up. When an app crashes, iOS just relaunches it without a warning or notification that it crashed.

Although IMO this is a good thing and something Android needs to copy.

There are no half-@$$ed apps, or buggy apps. As they say, "It Just Works". And its true.
Except when it isn't.

Apple settles class-action suit over iPhone 4 antenna problem - CNN.com

and

Apple Maps Aren't Just Crap, They're Downright Dangerous | Gizmodo Australia

I still prefer my Moto X, but if it didn't exist, the iPhone would be near the top of my list. But again, it comes down to what you're looking for. Mabye I'm not as big a "tinkerer" as some of you. I just want my device to work, and do it fast (and in the case of Moto X, have "Touchless Control").
The reason I am a tinkerer is because Apple does not know what I need as well as I do. That is why the "one size fits all" solution is not an acceptable solution to me.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The reason I am a tinkerer is because Apple does not know what I need as well as I do. That is why the "one size fits all" solution is not an acceptable solution to me.

Firstly, I think the Apple 4 antenna thing was much ado about nothing, class action lawsuit or not.

As far as the tinkering is concerned, I don't think Apple is stupid enough to believe that their model will work for EVERY single customer. But I imagine that the vast majority of people aren't heavy tinkerers. In IOS, you can still choose which icons appear on your homescreen, and for most people that's good enough. They launch an app, they launch a game, they check their mail. Done. For those people IOS is good enough, and very simple.

Now, if you need to have special widgets that give you specific info, or you need to group apps together in a specific way, then Android is the only way to go. I can only speak about my personal use, but my home screen is customized on my Moto X only because I could; not because I needed to. If the features I was looking for were only found on iPhone, then I'd go with an iPhone, and I don't think I'd feel like I lost something. So for me, the ability to tinker with the look of the home screen is a non-starter; I care about the features that I care about.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anyone can dispute that the build quality is the best of any phone (save for maybe the HTC One).

I will dispute the Fruit companies build quality since I had four iPhone 4 in less than 15 months that were never dropped and in a otter case for protection. First one lasted 53 weeks and since it was out of warranty by one week AT&T where I bought it sent me to Apple Store. Apple Store solution was upgrade to new Iphone 4s and start a new 2 year AT&T contract. When that didn't work I paid $150 for a replacement i4 that failed on the drive home from the Apple Store. Next i4 lasted another 4 weeks till it's screen would come and go. Took it back to Apple Store and they wanted another $150 since the 1st replacement only had a 30 day warranty. I have had cell phones since the late 1990's and I have never had any cell phone break other than Apple.

I don't care if a phone is made from metal or plastic since it goes into a case for protection. What I call build quality would also include how long the devices works and I have never seen anyone as bad as Apple based on my experience. Also, I will never own another 3.5 inch or 4 inch screen since I don't think a phone is Bling-Bling jewelry to try to impress someone. A phone to me is a functional device that should last a lot longer than my 2 year service provider contract.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, I think the Apple 4 antenna thing was much ado about nothing, class action lawsuit or not.

As far as the tinkering is concerned, I don't think Apple is stupid enough to believe that their model will work for EVERY single customer. But I imagine that the vast majority of people aren't heavy tinkerers. In IOS, you can still choose which icons appear on your homescreen, and for most people that's good enough. They launch an app, they launch a game, they check their mail. Done. For those people IOS is good enough, and very simple.

Now, if you need to have special widgets that give you specific info, or you need to group apps together in a specific way, then Android is the only way to go. I can only speak about my personal use, but my home screen is customized on my Moto X only because I could; not because I needed to. If the features I was looking for were only found on iPhone, then I'd go with an iPhone, and I don't think I'd feel like I lost something. So for me, the ability to tinker with the look of the home screen is a non-starter; I care about the features that I care about.

There's really nothing wrong with the iPhone or iOS. If you've picked up a 5S, you'd know just how fast it is. I easily prefer Android over iOS, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with people who prefer the simplicity of iOS and the one-handed usability of the iPhone. Their hardware is always impressive.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I will dispute the Fruit companies build quality since I had four iPhone 4 in less than 15 months that were never dropped and in a otter case for protection. First one lasted 53 weeks and since it was out of warranty by one week AT&T where I bought it sent me to Apple Store. Apple Store solution was upgrade to new Iphone 4s and start a new 2 year AT&T contract. When that didn't work I paid $150 for a replacement i4 that failed on the drive home from the Apple Store. Next i4 lasted another 4 weeks till it's screen would come and go. Took it back to Apple Store and they wanted another $150 since the 1st replacement only had a 30 day warranty. I have had cell phones since the late 1990's and I have never had any cell phone break other than Apple.

I don't care if a phone is made from metal or plastic since it goes into a case for protection. What I call build quality would also include how long the devices works and I have never seen anyone as bad as Apple based on my experience. Also, I will never own another 3.5 inch or 4 inch screen since I don't think a phone is Bling-Bling jewelry to try to impress someone. A phone to me is a functional device that should last a lot longer than my 2 year service provider contract.

I appreciate you adding your personal experience with the i4. However, build quality, unlike debating which OS is better, is less subjective. Many durability and drop tests have been done on both iPhones and Android phones. And the durability of the iPhone is near the top of the list, if not at the very top.

I don't know why you've had such unfortunate luck with your iPhones, but from all of the things I've read, Apple's build quality is very high, and not just hype. I know that tons of durability tests have been done between the iPhone and Galaxy lines, as they are the most popular. I can't recall any of those testers concluding the the GS phones were more durable.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It might have been. However, Apple are the ones claiming that they have such great construction and design. That is why it is a big deal. When you make claims like this and brag about how much better your product is than everyone else, you better be able to deliver.

As far as the tinkering is concerned, I don't think Apple is stupid enough to believe that their model will work for EVERY single customer.
Of course not. And it doesn't need to.

But then it is a given that you will be confined to a niche market, and that is exactly what dwindling Apple marketshare is showing. As Android matures, Apple marketshare is eroded. At this point is it a given that the iPad and iPhone will eventually occupy a niche just like the Mac does (I was predicting exactly this years ago, and was laughed at heh heh)

The only question is, how far will it erode before it stabilizes. Obviously Apple still has a great number of people who are willing to pay a premium for their (IMO) sub-par devices. Apple is not going anywhere, no matter what we might think of their OS or products.

Now, if you need to have special widgets that give you specific info, or you need to group apps together in a specific way, then Android is the only way to go. I can only speak about my personal use, but my home screen is customized on my Moto X only because I could; not because I needed to.
For me it is the opposite. I do not want every single app I own spammed at me at the same time. I want to pick and choose what is up front.

Ironically, I think Android is probably easier for new users to use in this sense. They do not have to dig through all their icons to get to what they want...they can only put the stuff they need on the main screen, and stuff everything else in the app drawer.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate you adding your personal experience with the i4. However, build quality, unlike debating which OS is better, is less subjective. Many durability and drop tests have been done on both iPhones and Android phones. And the durability of the iPhone is near the top of the list, if not at the very top.

I don't know why you've had such unfortunate luck with your iPhones, but from all of the things I've read, Apple's build quality is very high, and not just hype. I know that tons of durability tests have been done between the iPhone and Galaxy lines, as they are the most popular. I can't recall any of those testers concluding the the GS phones were more durable.

I use another source I like better for durability and reliability tests. Garner published square trade's annual cell phone warranty claims a while back. Square Trade listed the number of claims made for both accidental drop damage and manufacturer defects. What was good about it is that they listed percentages, not totals, eliminating the argument that it could be skewed because one phone sold more than another. Their results placed iPhones low in durability, but highest in having the least claims due to defects.

This is much more reliable than drop tests, because their sample sizes are in the tens of thousands unlike drop tests which might feature about half a dozen

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I use another source I like better for durability and reliability tests. Garner published square trade's annual cell phone warranty claims a while back. Square Trade listed the number of claims made for both accidental drop damage and manufacturer defects. What was good about it is that they listed percentages, not totals, eliminating the argument that it could be skewed because one phone sold more than another. Their results placed iPhones low in durability, but highest in having the least claims due to defects.

This is much more reliable than drop tests, because their sample sizes are in the tens of thousands unlike drop tests which might feature about half a dozen

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

That's very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. It very well might be a better source of durability information.

Orlan2

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Each of them have their ups and downs IMO, it all comes down to what you are looking for in a phone to fit your needs, there's no perfect phone at all, and since we are humans we at some point we'll crave or ask for more, because we never get satisfied, that why they evolve, and become better or worse, because with time our needs might change, i remember that back to 2005 when i used to rock Sony Ericsson Walkman Phones, and they were over the top to me, and i couldn't think of a better phone, but with time my needs started to change.

regarding iOS and iPhone's overall, i love the build quality and how easy to use and how simple they are, i find it to be a pretty good looking and elegant phone, but when it comes to so little customization, i starts to be a deal breaker for me, and the need to be tied to a computer for many things, also i need to jailbreak it to be able to replicate many of the things that Android might be able to do just out of the box.

Regarding Android OS and phones overall, the best way to describe it for me its that i have plenty of options in phone variety that allows me to filter until i get a phone that fits my needs in every aspect without the need to limit me in certain areas.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I use a 5S for work and I enjoy the feeling of having 86GB total available space on my N5 at almost half the cost of the 5S.

Sent from my specific mobile device using a forum app.

Orlan2

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I use a 5S for work and I enjoy the feeling of having 86GB total available space on my N5 at almost half the cost of the 5S.

Sent from my specific mobile device using a forum app.

86GB? how,s that? If the N5 just comes in a 16GB/32GB versions.

Posted via Android Central App

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Its quite sad, lol.
Not really. It's no secret Apple 'gouges' people on everything, always have. But with the higher margins comes a higher level of customer service and more polished hardware and software.

I have never felt like a beta tester for Apple, but have numerous times with Android even though I have only been using the platform for 18 months.

To each their own... Some folks just want their stuff to work, others like to tinker.