Those who have their "precious" in hand... any Sprint Bloatware?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
If so.... what did Sprint install.. and secondly, can you stop/remove it?

Sincerely, a jealous Verizon customer.

PS... congrats guys and gals! Enjoy!!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Those who have their "precious" in hand... any Sprint Bloatwa

I don't have it but from the screen shots on another thread it appears to only have Sprint Hotspot (Tethering) and Sprint Zone. Throw in Google Wallet which seems to be a regular on Sprint now for said devices with NFC support.

Sprint Zone then in turn gives you options to get to other Sprint related bloatware but otherwise it seems to be very bloat free...

Lets see what Verizon does with that bad boy :p

Here's the screenshots I was talking about...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...-official-i-got-my-s3-thread.html#post1873320

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

sprint zone
sprint hotspot

not sure what these are:
chatON
gamehub
Kies air

also has
dropbox
flipboard

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

sprint zone
sprint hotspot

not sure what these are:
chatON
gamehub
Kies air

also has
dropbox
flipboard

Kies Air is Samsung's utility used to Update the device and other things.

Not sure about chatON and gamehub but regardless this is a VERY stripped down machine when it comes to bloatware.. Nice to see Sprint didn't load it up with crap.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Kies Air is Samsung's utility used to Update the device and other things.

I believe you are thinking of Kies, the actual desktop application. Kies Air is a utility to connect to your phone via a desktop web browser over a local wifi network, where it allows you to manage files, and view things like pictures, videos, music, ringtones, etc.

It's not the best thing in the world, but it can be handy sometimes, especially if you don't have a USB cable around.

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I believe you are thinking of Kies, the actual desktop application. Kies Air is a utility to connect to your phone via a desktop web browser over a local wifi network, where it allows you to manage files, and view things like pictures, videos, music, ringtones, etc.

It's not the best thing in the world, but it can be handy sometimes, especially if you don't have a USB cable around.
Thanks for the clarification Jay...

Always count on our AC Advisors to be around to catch my mistakes :)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sprint has been amazing at eliminating bloat or minimally putting it in /data/app. Now that our carrier is listening and responding, we need to be concerned with the OEMs shoving in stuff. Wasn't the HTC evolution 3d dump something like almost 3/4 of a gig? It was GB based so HTC started with less than 100mb of code and added 600mb lmfao :rolleyes:

Different device but illustrates the OEM bloat point

kronium

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I don't think Sprint had much choice on bloatware if they wanted it to release by June 21. I'm sure that's why Verizon's version is delayed. Poor verizon customers!

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Hate that I cannot remove google wallet. Want nothing to do with that...besides that, I agree not too much bloatware.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Hate that I cannot remove google wallet. Want nothing to do with that...besides that, I agree not too much bloatware.

Wallet being in/system/app might actually be a security measure rather than a bloat tactic.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Wallet being in/system/app might actually be a security measure rather than a bloat tactic.
I can understand your point. But anything that puts my phone at risk, like below, scares me.

Meet paycardreader, the credit card-stealing Android app - Yahoo! News

I really wouldn't understand why google wallet is a necessity to run a phone, or much rather be a security measure running on my phone...when it could potentially hurt me even more.

But we could get into a heavy debated conversation/discussion on how there are other programs out there, that could do or harm/invade your personal info.

Its never ending...

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

I can understand your point. But anything that puts my phone at risk, like below, scares me.

Meet paycardreader, the credit card-stealing Android app - Yahoo! News

I really wouldn't understand why google wallet is a necessity to run a phone, or much rather be a security measure running on my phone...when it could potentially hurt me even more.

But we could get into a heavy debated conversation/discussion on how there are other programs out there, that could do or harm/invade your personal info.

Its never ending...
We definitely share the same concerns. I am very protective of PII so i go overboard sometimes validating no info is stored in plain text, etc. After wallet was exploited recently Google did something admirable and disabled the service to allow them to patch the app. I'd rather have that then possible PII exposure. But also if you decide not to use wallet, it contains no information about you at all. You need to open it, register, add a card, create a pin, all before the app even knows who the heck you are. I hope that's at least mildly reassuring because if i had an app in /system/data that i didn't trust, it go nuts until i rooted and removed it.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

hardley has any bloatware...no nascar crap etc...just sprintzone, some samsung apps, etc.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't consider sprint zone bloatware...it allows you to check your account for usage, etc

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
And dropbox isn't bad either if you ask me, since I'm fairly certain that everyone that got the s3 can sign up for 50 free gigs of space on dropbox (except at&t and Verizon users). Sweet deal and worth the "bloat."

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

I was so glad to only see 2 real sprint apps on the phone. Much better than the 4-6 that were on my Evo 3D. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benda